Security Guard Opens Fire In Bank In Department Store And Injured 2 People

Jai Dee

Security guard opened fire in a bank in department store and injured 2 people

A security guard named Mr. Thong-an Nalad (ทองอาน นาลาด) has opened fire in the Bangkok Bank situated in "The Mall" Department Store of Ngarmwongwan (งามวงศ์วาน) branch, injuring a university student and a bank personnel.

Yesterday, 25-year-old Thong-an, who worked as a security guard for the Bangkok Bank branch in the department store in Bangkok, opened fire on a customer, and ended up injuring two people.

The security guard testified that he bumbed into 24-year-old Phatthira Sae Jia (พัทธิรา แซ่เจีย) who was standing in line at the bank, who then let out at him before hitting him in the back. Mr. Thong_an said that the woman would not stop when he told her to and even dared him to shoot. Infuriated, he drew out the gun and fired twice. One bullet hit the university student in the shoulder and another hit a 25-year-old bank personnel in the leg. Both were sent to hospital.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 Febuary 2006

Bank queue-jumper shot by annoyed security guard in mall

Nonthaburi _ A security guard shot and wounded a university student after she annoyed him by jumping the queue at a Bangkok Bank branch at a shopping mall in Muang district yesterday. A female teller was also wounded when the guard, Thong-arn Nalard, 37, lost his temper during an argument with the queue-jumper, Patthira sae Tia, 25, a student at Sripathum University.

Muang district police said the guard told them he pulled the trigger in a fit of temper after Ms Patthira taunted him, asking if he had the guts to use the gun.

He said the bank's queue-ticket machine was out of order, but all other customers had lined up in orderly fashion to wait their turn at the counter.

Ms Patthira showed up and jumped the queue. He asked her to go to the end, but she refused and looked upset.

As he was turning to walk away, one of his arms accidentally hit Ms Patthira. She accused him of bullying her and hit him once on his back, prompting a fierce argument, he told police.

The guard claimed he did not aim at anyone when he fired his pistol. One of the bullets hit Ms Patthira in the left collarbone and the second hit the teller, Noppawan Kansook, 25, in the right thigh.

The wounded women were taken to nearby Nonthavej Hospital. When police arrived they found a large crowd of onlookers and Mr Thong-arn waiting to surrender at the empty bank counter with his .38 handgun. He was charged with attempted murder.

Source: Bangkok Post - Friday February 10, 2006

I have no sympathy for her, she was obviously a trouble maker. When told to get to the back of the queue she, should have done so, rather than taunt the guard. Of course such a thing would not have happened in England or America, as the other people in the queue would not have tolerated someone pushing in! I hope now that she is in hospital, she has time to reflect on her errors!

I have no sympathy for her, she was obviously a trouble maker. When told to get to the back of the queue she, should have done so, rather than taunt the guard. Of course such a thing would not have happened in England or America, as the other people in the queue would not have tolerated someone pushing in! I hope now that she is in hospital, she has time to reflect on her errors!

So are you saying that she deserved to be shot because she had an argument with a security guard??

She obviously has no respect for AUTHORITY! Kill those line jumpers! :o

So are you saying that she deserved to be shot because she had an argument with a security guard??

I don't say that she deserved to have been shot, no does, but she should have excercised common sense. Which means, one don't jump the queue, two, if your asked to go to the back by the security guard, and you know your in the wrong, do so! Don't stand there arguing and taunting him. Had she not done any of the above I doubt the the incident would have happened. Anyway your always a fool to argue with a man who has a gun, when you don't! Providence rarely spares fools!

I don't say that she deserved to have been shot, no does, but she should have excercised common sense. Which means, one don't jump the queue, two, if your asked to go to the back by the security guard, and you know your in the wrong, do so! Don't stand there arguing and taunting him. Had she not done any of the above I doubt the the incident would have happened. Anyway your always a fool to argue with a man who has a gun, when you don't! Providence rarely spares fools!

Providence or timely care and forsight would I have thought saved many a fool.However I do have sympathy for the woman, even though she did not do as the guard instructed she did not deserve to be shot.

As for taunting it seems that it was the guard who made the first physical contact whether a deliberate act or accidental as he claims.

People who are authorised to carry guns in Thailand should have the ability to handle verbal abuse without losing their temper and resorting to gunning people down, in this case two people.

People who are authorised to carry guns in Thailand should have the ability to handle verbal abuse without losing their temper and resorting to gunning people down, in this case two people.

Queue jumper or not she didn't deserve to be shot, what is this country, the wild west?

If you have the ability to ask for a gun here you can get one, it's going the way of America.

Give 'em a gun and a bit of authority, and they go crazy.

In Pattaya many years ago, at midnight on Walking Street, I witnessed a female food vendor rushing with her food cart for the best location outside the Marine Bar.

A police officer started waving his arms around at her, telling her to move. A second police officer came to her rescue and started arguing with the first.

The argument became very heated.

The next thing, the two police officer drew their guns and pointed them at each other, still screaming abuse at the top of their lungs.

I have never seen such a rush of people on Walking Street. People were diving for cover everywhere, me included.

In no time at all the street was deserted and there were only three people still standing on the street, the two cops and the vendor.

No shots were fired, tempers cooled somewhat but not before the first officer tied the food cart to the rear of his police ute, accelerated rapidly and dragged it out of Walking Street. The food cart was on its side and food was scattered everywhere.

If anybody has a gun on their hip and tells me to do something, I do it.........and with the best smile I can muster. :o

Queue jumpers are scum and are nothing but selfishs pr*cks! But, I would draw the line at shooting them. Why people suffer in silence while these people push in is beyond me.

I have had more than one 'discussion' with these people. The Thai consulate in Laos is terrible, I was congratulated by the consulate official for telling one jumper to get behind me. Ano ther place is the Mae Sai border, when the Thai guide will tell his farang tour group to fill out their forms while they are queuing - but there's not much you can do about that.

I sort of feel sorry for the security guard. He was obviously badly chosen for the job by his employer, given bad training. Why didn't the bank staff back him up? I know that he was wrong, but a lot of those guys aren't the full shilling anyway. Who decided that he was fit to be armed?

Perhaps a shake-up on gun law is called for? Had this sort of thing happened in the UK I'm pretty sure there would be some sort of review - but in the UK if someone sneezes there is a government enquiry.

Edited by Grant

The guard should be fired on the spot anyway.

First of all, even if the woman had been wielding a knife, his inability to handle the gun proved more dangerous to innocent people then to any attacker. The concept of LOF (Line Of Fire) couldn't have been pointed out (or stuck in his mind) from any (if any) training. How the hel_l do you wind up shooting the teller in the leg?

Edited by TAWP