British Embassy Hopes To Raise Awareness Of The Dangers Of Driving In Thailand

webfact

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a very old topic ....with such a high rates in deadly car accident in thailand , all different governments should have done something about it , 20 years here I never see any improvements just seen more cars and more accidents. Send the people to driving school would be a first good thing , teach Thais road safety and respect , then it might be better .. you can write what ever articles you want on road safety and dangerous roads , nobody except foreigners will pay attention. I would be curious to know how many drive without proper license.

You cannot get a licence at 5 years old.

What really bugs me is the hypocritical way the police treat the driving laws. They all pile out every day for a couple of hours at the beginning and end of the school day. They help millions of kids get to and from school riding their motorcye WITHOUT WEARING CRASH HELMETS.

Later in the day they then set up checkpoints and start to enforce the helmet law...

In Surin at least they may have had some good effect as most kids now wear helmets. Many very young kids still ride bikes obviously without either training or licences.

• Like 1

a very old topic ....with such a high rates in deadly car accident in thailand , all different governments should have done something about it , 20 years here I never see any improvements just seen more cars and more accidents. Send the people to driving school would be a first good thing , teach Thais road safety and respect , then it might be better .. you can write what ever articles you want on road safety and dangerous roads , nobody except foreigners will pay attention. I would be curious to know how many drive without proper license.

You cannot get a licence at 5 years old.

True enough, all the kids drive bikes in my village.

Having said that they are not going to be the cause of foreign deaths.

We all know about Thai driving etc but how many of these deaths occur with bikes where the driver has never ridden one before and has no lid on?

During his recent visit to Thailand, the UK Foreign Secretary Mr William Hague raised road safety with his counterpart , Thai Foreign Minister Dr Surapong Tovichakchaikul. The UK stands ready to share its experience in achieving one of the best road safety records in the world, and would be happy to support Thailand in this area.

Excuse me Mr UK Foreign Secretary but Thailand does not need any help from any foreign country for any situation. I.E. the USA sending a fleet to assist during last years floods that killed 900+ Thai citizens. They were told to go away, we don't need you.

You may even hear the statement "The UK is not our father".

What the fark? You absolute..... insert profanity here

On the one hand the USA offers help for the flooding and you claim 'we dont need you' but in the same sentance declare that 900 people died?

And the UK having one of the best road safety records in the world - offers advice to one of the most dangerous countries in the world for driving.... Free, impartial advice.... And you speak on beahlf of the Thai people and state they dont need help?

You are totaly and utterly off your rocker. Have another beer, keyboard warrior.

Suggest you let whatever you are on wear off, then re read the post you are replying to. Perhaps you will see that the poster is poking fun at the 'attitude' of the Thai politicians who see themselves in total control of ALL events, and one particular person who said, ".....is not our Father"

I wonder if those statistics are applied to tourists and expats alike. I think the Expat crowd overall has a better grip on driving in Thailand then the majority of Thais. They sound off to me though but maybe because I am an American. In the states, statistically you are more safe on a motorcycle. The Majority of accidents are between Cars and trucks. Insurance rates and data reflect this notion too.

Some thoughts if any Thai official is poking their noses in the forum.

1. Stop the corruption of being able to buy your license (as did my wife!)

2. Stringent testing, stop the corruption of buying off the examiner during the failed tests

3. Educate drivers that lanes are marked for traffic to remain within, not to expand at will then push back in later

4. The road is for all users, not just 'me, myself and I', so learn about courtesy

5. Larger vehicles take longer to stop, bear that in mind when you push in front of one when a traffic light is changing to red

6. Indicators sometimes don't cancel

7. Helmets are essential, stop the corruption of buying off the traffic police when caught

8. There are actually a set of road rules to be followed

9. Raise the traffic fines substantially, introduce a points system - 3 strikes and you are out. Attach a licence to a vehicle registration and cancel it when fines remain unpaid. Impound and or sell it.

10. Remove police operating traffic lights, let them get on with other 'important' issues, like stopping corruption

11. Motorcyclists do not have to be tested on driving on a 4" wide strip of concrete to be able to get their license, try more simple things like, manipulating between traffic cones, stopping at test lights and not driving like a wasted banshee between slow moving or stopped traffic

Education, education education, and laws that are enforced, fines issued not payments received, and a license cancelling system enabling to remove idiots from the roads. Now how do we address the issue of Dr Jekkyl and Mr Hyde - the Thai factor - once they get behind the wheel? No respect, no wai jai, no common sense and no thought for anyone other than themselves at any cost.

hahahaha, maybe if the thai drivers actually knew the road rules or had a license it might be better. Considering most thai drivers only care about themselves and what they want to do, trying to drive by the rules here is almost impossible. Double lines on a blind corner mean go fast when you cross over them, the cars coming the other way will go off the road for you, what a joke. I have to admit though, I am getting used to it but it would be nice if they understood they need to stop at red lights.

What rules would that be? To have a good chance of avoiding accidents driving in Thailand, you need to drive defensively all the time and use a lot of common sense. There are around 13000 Thais dying on Thai roads every year probably mostly through drink driving and a severe lack of common sense, which we all know Thais are not known for.

Because they are not taught how to drive properly.If they are taught the rules andfollow them there would be alot less accidents...

"a severe lack of common sense, which we all know Thais are not known for"."Because they are not taught how to drive properly"

and lack of traffic enforcement and fines.

Because one must possess knowledge and have the brain capacity to retain that knowledge before one can transfer it; if they so happen to possess the capabilities of knowledge transfer and powers of focus. This covers only half of the problem. The other half of the portion involves the empty gourds that are on the receiving end of the knowledge transfer, as well as a culture that is highly supportive of brains without any wrinkles or synapses.

• Like 1

2. Stringent testing, stop the corruption of buying off the examiner during the failed tests

3. Educate drivers that lanes are marked for traffic to remain within, not to expand at will then push back in later

4. The road is for all users, not just 'me, myself and I', so learn about courtesy

5. Larger vehicles take longer to stop, bear that in mind when you push in front of one when a traffic light is changing to red

7. Helmets are essential, stop the corruption of buying off the traffic police when caught

9. Raise the traffic fines substantially, introduce a points system - 3 strikes and you are out. Attach a licence to a vehicle registration and cancel it when fines remain unpaid. Impound and or sell it.

10. Remove police operating traffic lights, let them get on with other 'important' issues, like stopping corruption

11. Motorcyclists do not have to be tested on driving on a 4" wide strip of concrete to be able to get their license, try more simple things like, manipulating between traffic cones, stopping at test lights and not driving like a wasted banshee between slow moving or stopped traffic

Education, education education, and laws that are enforced, fines issued not payments received, and a license cancelling system enabling to remove idiots from the roads. Now how do we address the issue of Dr Jekkyl and Mr Hyde - the Thai factor - once they get behind the wheel? No respect, no wai jai, no common sense and no thought for anyone other than themselves at any cost.

Car showrooms don't even check if the buyer has a valid license...

They control guns, cigarettes, beer with id, but they can sell you a car.

• Like 1

During his recent visit to Thailand, the UK Foreign Secretary Mr William Hague raised road safety with his counterpart , Thai Foreign Minister Dr Surapong Tovichakchaikul. The UK stands ready to share its experience in achieving one of the best road safety records in the world, and would be happy to support Thailand in this area.

Excuse me Mr UK Foreign Secretary but Thailand does not need any help from any foreign country for any situation. I.E. the USA sending a fleet to assist during last years floods that killed 900+ Thai citizens. They were told to go away, we don't need you.

SIMPLY DONT DRIVE IN THAILAND.... DONT take MIni Buses if you are traveling within Thailand... RISKY!!!. ROADS HAVE SIGNS AND MARKINGS.... but the drivers do not know what they are for.... the police know only after an accident to explain to the one who survives the crash. If you do take the challenge.... then think THAI and not rational road systems thought Internationally..... thais overtake on the left, drift into lanes, can NEVER follow traffic, use light signals to warn that they are coming instead of meaning you go first, Do not keep distances at high speeds. Do not trust signal lights blinking.... it simply means that they took the turn and forgot to click off.... If the traffic light turns to red, make sure you are not first in line to stop...because other will overtake you to beat on coming traffic. AVOID RIDING a motorbike and if you do ask for the helmet and hold tight. Drive safely and simply keep distance and speed and pray that no one on Yabba is surfing the roads in one of his highs....... Amazing Thailand isnt it!

Edited by alanferdi
  • Like 1

Car showrooms don't even check if the buyer has a valid license...

They control guns, cigarettes, beer with id, but they can sell you a car.

Well done politely! I really hope for Thailand that they would learn this quicker and do the RIGHT THING. NO ONE LOOSES his face doing it properly!

There can be little question that those from Europe,UK and USA have a far more advanced compliance to road safety and road use in general and it is indeed a pre requisite for survival to drive in a highly defensive manner, but sadly that alone is not enough. People coming here are told to be vigilent while driving and consider all possible scenarios . That too is not enough as things happen here at random that even a Nasa computer could not predict. Luck plays a significant role and with the local population devoid of rules or structure or patience, all of us road users will eventually sucumb to bad luck. In the carnage that passes for road transportation it is only a mater of time before you are a victim. Hopefully it will only be minor.

What the fark? You absolute..... insert profanity here

On the one hand the USA offers help for the flooding and you claim 'we dont need you' but in the same sentance declare that 900 people died?

And the UK having one of the best road safety records in the world - offers advice to one of the most dangerous countries in the world for driving.... Free, impartial advice.... And you speak on beahlf of the Thai people and state they dont need help?

You are totaly and utterly off your rocker. Have another beer, keyboard warrior.

I think those were tongue-in-cheek comments.......

There is more than a grain of truth in what the ambassador is saying, at least concerning tourist drivers (not only british of course). Too many of them have no clue how to drive a motosai, let alone the specifics of Thai driving. But they easily adapt to driving without helmet, having toddlers on the bike, driving down one way streets, driving totally pissed etc. . You wouldn't believe what idiots we see in tourist spots.

Driving style of expats, Thais, Bangkokians or upcountry people in general is a different topic.

Yes, yes. Any friends coming this way ought to be warned by any of us living here of the road hazards.

I would add to the list, beware of rental motorcycles and the helmets that come with them. Any rental bike I've seen was a death trap--- poorly maintained and you're lucky if it goes, but even luckier if it stops.

hahahaha, maybe if the thai drivers actually knew the road rules or had a license it might be better. Considering most thai drivers only care about themselves and what they want to do, trying to drive by the rules here is almost impossible. Double lines on a blind corner mean go fast when you cross over them, the cars coming the other way will go off the road for you, what a joke. I have to admit though, I am getting used to it but it would be nice if they understood they need to stop at red lights.

Yes there is no standard for new drivers especially young people whom are not even legal age, racing Pizza bike drivers the worst!, weaving in and out of traffic seems that the pizza is more valuable than their life..great..show that Thai have little regard of themselves or others.

I wear gloves no fingers, leather palm to take up any road rash occurs while if I go down, I recently bought a driving jacket..Leatherup is a site you can purchase a light vented jacket padding on elbows and back..great wear it always, along with surgical mask for the diesels buses that crawl along emit black smoke. I always note who is behind me..a truck or car at high speed only to be inline on the next light..great for thought in Thai driver..stupid drivers. I do not drive in Canada a bike as this will confuse me on what I have already know on left side driving...I know I am prepared for the crash..seems if one prepares for a crash it is less likely to happen...thou aggression is good to get away from red light and then slow down and wait for the two strokes to roar by....they win..wow! Letting the lead motorcycle going too fast be the bike that meets the car whom notices no traffic in the lanes. It is a war out their and if you are mentally clear and focus like many young people are not, talking on cell phones or 3 riding with no helmets..this is what Thailand is..Buddha looks after them..until the blood soaked road tells different.. Keep well and keep aware whom is behind you..God is above and watching you...listen to the voice that speaks while driving..Ron

Yes Brits only trying to help same as the Thai prime minister significantly helped UK last week with some worthy flood elevation advise, something about getting all the boats on the Thames to line up in a row then start them all up together

Yes Brits only trying to help same as the Thai prime minister significantly helped UK last week with some worthy flood elevation advise, something about getting all the boats on the Thames to line up in a row then start them all up together

Don't turn then the wrong way, the barrier might fall over.

I find that one of the biggest problem with driving in Thailand is that VERY FEW Thai actually know the driving laws and how most of them even got a license is beyond me.

Very easy to get a licence in Thailand first step is look out a 500 Baht note.

• Like 1

50mg of alcohol per 100ml blood........

This one would make a hell of a cocktail!

No wonder there are so many accidents

That's the legal limit for drunk driving in Thailand.. 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. I'm sure the majority of drunk Thai drivers have double or triple that.

50mg of alcohol per 100ml blood........

This one would make a hell of a cocktail!

No wonder there are so many accidents

That's the legal limit for drunk driving in Thailand.. 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. I'm sure the majority of drunk Thai drivers have double or triple that.

I think you have your grams and millilitres and percent by volume a bit mixed up.

50ml per 100gs of blood wouldn't be far away from a shot of tequila. 1 gram is an ml give or take a bit of alcohol.