[Myanmar] Burmese Atms Begin Accepting Mastercard

News_Editor

ATMs run by Burma’s CB Bank have become the first in the country to accept a foreign credit card. According to the state-run newspaper Kyemon, the first transaction made using a MasterCard credit card took place at the headquarters of CB Bank in Rangoon on Thursday. The ATM used for the transaction was also the first ever installed in Burma, almost exactly one year ago. CB Bank obtained a license to issue MasterCards and offer ATM services in September. Customers can make withdrawals in the local currency of up to 300,000 kyat (US $345), three times a day.

Source: Irrawaddy.org

The ATM used for the transaction was also the first ever installed in Burma, almost exactly one year ago

Not true. There are ATMs for local banks in Yangon, and have been for years. I remember the first Mayflower ATM in the early to mid 2000s. None of them accept international ATMs, however. And neither does this one.

Mastercard is accepted at certain travel agencies in Yangon, some of which even give MasterCard cash advances -- for a heavy 10% surcharge. So this is a welcome improvement over that system, even though cash advances from an ATM also rack up high interest rates that begin accruing immediately.

I saw in ad in AirAsia's inflight mag a few weeks ago that promised international ATMs in Yangon soon. I can't remember for which bank.

• Like 1

Tourists and business travelers with an international MasterCard, Maestro or Cirrus-branded card will now be able to withdraw money, and in the local currency or ‘kyat’, for the first time at 36 CB Bank ATMs around Myanmar, including Yangon International Airport. CB Bank is one of the most established commercial banks in Myanmar, with the largest ATM network in the country.

Source: http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/mastercard-marks-another-first-in-myanmar-with-first-atm-transaction-using-a-mastercard-card/

Mr Antonio Sebastian Corró, MasterCard country manager and chief representative for Indochina, said tourists and business travellers with a MasterCard-, Maestro- or Cirrus-branded card could use them to withdraw kyat from 36 Co-operative Bank ATMs nationally, including two at Yangon International Airport.

Source: http://www.mmtimes.com/index.php/business/3158-mastercard-marks-first-atm-transaction.html

So, if your ATM card shows Maestro or Cirrus, it should work too. And I think we won't need to wait much longer until Visa Card and Plus Cards will be accepted, I'd think.

The card(Master,Maestro,Cirrus)can be used to withdraw Myanmar Kyat from Commercial Bank's ATM. Withdrawal limit at 3lahk MMK for each transaction. w.e.f 15Nov2012

Good news ... but not quite true so far :)

I tried to withdraw funds at my local CB ATM ==> refused.

My friend tried at another CB ATM ==> refused......

But I'm sure it is just teething issues

Simon

• Like 1