Notary Public In Central Bangkok

Can anyone recommend a Notary Public in central Bangkok who can certify copies of my academic qualifications for a reasonable price?

I need to provide notarised copies of my degree certificates to a European university, and I'm unable to locate a suitable Notary Public in Yangon. But I will be doing a visa run to Bangkok in a few weeks from now, and can therefore get my documents notarised and sent by EMS during my visa run.

If you have a contact email address or telephone number for the Notary Public, that will be very useful.

Thanks

Simon

In my experience it seems that the notorization is not an international system, e.g. there are British Commonwealth notories and U.S.A. Notaries, I had to provide notorised documents to the Jamaican Land Office had them 'Notorised' in Thailand but when I sent them the Jamaican Land Office wanted evidence of the authority the notary had to notorise the documents from the whoever granted them that power.

The letter that asked for this was actually framed around the U.S.A. Notary system, meaning a U.S.A. Notary Public could not notorise a document for the Jamaican authorities without supporting evidence of his authority to do so.

But a UK Notary could provide stand alone notorisation (i.e. stamp the document) because the UK and Jamaica are both in the British Commonwealth and presumably this allows the Jamaican authorities to check the validity of the notorisation.

Lets face it what does a document stamped in Thailand mean to anyone in Europe? (Could it be corrupt?)

Best to ask the European University who they expect the documents to be notarised by.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs out in Chaeng Wattana is often required to notarise documents for someone coming from Thailand. They in turn may require evidence of their own to support their notarisation.

For UK academic qualifications they may accept notarisation by the British Embassy in Bangkok.

They may possibly want them notarisated by their country's embassy in the UK.

May be enough for a legal person to just certify a true copy etc etc

:)

The notarisation has to be performed by any registered Notary Public who can certify that they have seen the original documents and the copy of that document - and that the copy is therefore a true and valid copy. The Notary Public must be contactable by phone/email if further confirmation is required.

I contacted both the British embassy and British Council in Yangon, but neither seems to offer a NP service. Since I cannot post my document copies safely from Yangon in any case, a trip is needed to Bangkok so that I can EMS them.

Simon

No problem to get it notarized in BKK, just about any lawyer will do such for 500-1000 baht. The problem is getting that notarization accepted by the University. International notarization is done by getting an apostile from the notary, such apostile being issued by a government authority that certifies the notary is authorized to notarize documents. I needed such when I was trying to register my boat in USA, with the bill of sale from the seller notarized by a UK notary in London. The seller had to get an apostile before the US Coast Guard would accept the document. All that said I doubt if you can get an apostile in Thailand. Best bet would be to check with the UK Embassy here (I am assuming you are UK citizen; USA Embassy has such for USA citizens) to see if they will notarize the document, else maybe somebody back home can get it notarized. Best to check with the European U re what would be acceptable.

The notarisation has to be performed by any registered Notary Public who can certify that they have seen the original documents and the copy of that document - and that the copy is therefore a true and valid copy. The Notary Public must be contactable by phone/email if further confirmation is required.

I contacted both the British embassy and British Council in Yangon, but neither seems to offer a NP service. Since I cannot post my document copies safely from Yangon in any case, a trip is needed to Bangkok so that I can EMS them.

Simon

Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs performs that service. Based on Chaeng Wattana.

:)

There is an international notary convention (I can't remember the correct name), but Thailand isn't part of that convention. So a document notatrized in Thailand may not be accepted. But this depends on the person/company requesting the forms. Earlier this year I had to fly to Croatia to sign a legal document because Thailand isn't part of the convention and so their notary system is effectively useless for many purposes.

• 1 year later...

For a commercial transaction in the USA my wife needed to have a document notarised. I looked up the previous thread on ThaiVisa.

It mentions Suwatlaw in Sukhumvit (soi 25) and Sunbelt Asia, in Ratchadapisek, saying that the latter no longer provide the service. These are old posts from 2010 or earlier.

I can report that Khun Suwat is still providing the service and returns telephone calls for making appointments etc. I also receive an email reply from Sunbelt suggesting they contact my wife to arrrange a time. She used Khun Suwat which was very quick and is not far from the Fedex office on soin Nana.

I hope to post again soon witht eh prices of the two services.

I'd second http://www.bangkoknotary.com. A few months ago I checked the prices for notarisation from various law firms around Bangkok. All were pretty much the same at around 1500-1800 Baht. However, rather than having to go to the firm's premises, with this firm they sent someone to meet me at my local Starbucks. Much more convenient and saved me few hours' travelling time.