Samsung Galaxy Siii, Note Ii, Google Nexus 4 Decision

Seismic

I own a HTC desire, biggest problem is I bought it in Thailand in MBK when they just came out, it is T-mobile branded, so it is not a simmfree phone, rather a grey import. Funny thing is it works great all over the world except UK, where it is a brick. I have spent 2 years online in forums and with HTC tech support and still it doesnt work in UK, but fine everywhere else. So I am moving on, I have seen both the SIII and the Note II in action, my eyes arnt great anymore, and I would like an opinion, SIII or Note II ??????

I think the SGS3 and SGN2 are similar products, save perhaps the obvious screen/size difference and the N2's "pen" ability?

Maybe you could check out some youtube videos, and play with each in a Samsung shop to get a feel for each unit, especially if you have vision issues.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4238&idPhone2=4854

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5048&idPhone2=4854

Back to your HTC/UK issue...

Which service provider to do you use in the U.K.? Do you need to use 3G? Do you use the phone in Thailand? 3G? Which provider?

And can you go into Settings, About phone, and share the model number?

Is the HTC Desire branded for T-Mo USA, UK, Germany?

Edited by lomatopo

I had made up my mind to buy a Motorola Razr Maxx. I was using the Motorola Defy Plus and really liked it except for the too small screen. I ended up with the Galaxy S3 because of the much bigger screen and have no regrets.

I carry my phone in my pants pocket and any bigger screen would make that difficult. My old eyes can get by with the S3 without reading glasses but it is not perfect. An even bigger screen would be better but not really practical.

I would not buy the Galaxy S III or Note II in Thailand at the moment, I would only buy the Galaxy S III LTE or the Note II LTE, unfortunately the LTE versions are nowhere to be found in Bangkok as of 2, 3 days ago. Refer to wikipedia for the model variants and LTE frequencies supported.

The non-LTE Note II will be a 7100, the international LTE version will be model number 7105.

I would not buy the Galaxy S III or Note II in Thailand at the moment, I would only buy the Galaxy S III LTE or the Note II LTE, unfortunately the LTE versions are nowhere to be found in Bangkok as of 2, 3 days ago. Refer to wikipedia for the model variants and LTE frequencies supported.

The non-LTE Note II will be a 7100, the international LTE version will be model number 7105.

Why would you recommend an LTE version? Do you travel to countries where there is pre-paid 4G available? Which bands do you recommend? N7105 (LTE800/B20; LTE2600/B7)? N7105T (LTE 1800/B3; LTE2600/B7)

Typically the LTE versions of Samsung models are heavier and thicker.

The SGS3 LTE variants are i9305, i9305T.

I assume you know that we are probably several years away from having LTE here in Thailand, and when we do it will likely be on band 3/1800 MHz first so if you wanted to protect your investment I guess you'd have to get an N7105T?

Why would you recommend an LTE version? Do you travel to countries where there is pre-paid 4G available? Which bands do you recommend? N7105 (LTE800/B20; LTE2600/B7)? N7105T (LTE 1800/B3; LTE2600/B7)

Typically the LTE versions of Samsung models are heavier and thicker.

The SGS3 LTE variants are i9305, i9305T.

I assume you know that we are probably several years away from having LTE here in Thailand, and when we do it will likely be on band 3/1800 MHz first so if you wanted to protect your investment I guess you'd have to get an N7105T?

Yes I do spend time in countries with LTE and I would like to make the OP and anyone reading this to be aware of the LTE versions and to possibly get the version that supports the frequencies of the countries that they most likely spend time in.

I would not even take the future Thai bands into heavy consideration, by the time LTE is available here it's probably time to upgrade the phone again.

I am looking at the countries I will spend time in during the coming 12 - 18 months and that have LTE networks. In my case the 7105 would make sense.

Sure, if you know that will only be in non-LTE countries in the next year or two, it doesn't matter what to get.

Regarding the depth of the device, I was under the impression that only the Korean variants with TV tuner are actually thicker but I did not double-check now.

Some might also want to consider re-sale value of the device or travel patterns of the people whom they might give the phone to after they upgrade.

Edited by g00dgirl

A friend of mine had a Korean Samsung Note LTE for a very short time. Essentially it only worked with GPRS here, no 3G. It went back to the shop (after much arguing). I would suggest getting a local GSM version if you intend to use it here.

I love the Google Nexus brand, the fast software updates that comes with getting the unadulterated version of Android directly from the source. I would have a hard time waiting forever for Samsung to deliver updates. They seem to be months behind, mainly because they feel they have to put their thumb print on Android before selling it.

For now I am happy with my Nexus Galaxy, and just got a Nexus 7 16G (from US) and I guess that'll have to do until they perhaps one day make a Nexus Galaxy Note or something of that size.

Yes I do spend time in countries with LTE and I would like to make the OP and anyone reading this to be aware of the LTE versions and to possibly get the version that supports the frequencies of the countries that they most likely spend time in.

OK, I'm not even sure the LTE variants - ixx05/ixx05T, will be available here, ever, except perhaps as grey-market imports, so perhaps for those who require one of the two LTE variants they should look to source those in one of the countries where they can be used? I would not source an LTE variant in the U.S.A. as these will likely be locked to T-Mo or AT&T.

A friend of mine had a Korean Samsung Note LTE for a very short time. Essentially it only worked with GPRS here, no 3G. It went back to the shop (after much arguing).

I think any Korean variant would be an ixx08, so N7108 (Note); N7108 (Note 2); 9108 (SGS2); 9308 (SGS3).

Cellular;Networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, TD-SCDMA2000, TD-SCDMA1900

Cellular;Data;Links: GPRS, EDGE, TD-SCDMA, TD-HSDPA

So just 2G here.

I love the Google Nexus brand, the fast software updates that comes with getting the unadulterated version of Android directly from the source. I would have a hard time waiting forever for Samsung to deliver updates. They seem to be months behind, mainly because they feel they have to put their thumb print on Android before selling it.

For now I am happy with my Nexus Galaxy, and just got a Nexus 7 16G (from US) and I guess that'll have to do until they perhaps one day make a Nexus Galaxy Note or something of that size.

Meh. I've been running Google AOSP Android 4.1.n (first.1 now.2) for months on my SGS1, SGS2 and SGTab10.1; it's OK but hardly life-altering. 4.0.x is fine.

A Nexus 7 - I assume you have a WiFi-only version - is obviously not like a Note as it does not support mobile broadband or GSM voice/text services. Admittedly an N7/3G may be MOD-able for GSM voice/text services. I can see a Nexus Note 3, maybe as one of the KLP (Android 5.0 - Key Lime Pie) launch products maybe announced at MWC 2013?

Edited by lomatopo

Even the AOSP releases are usually only out after Google released it for the Nexus line, and even then it takes them some times to fix all the glitches.

Yes the N7 is the WiFi version. The problem with the N7 is it is very heavy (compared to a Nexus Galaxy or a Note).

A Nexus Note 3 with Android 5 would certainly hit the spot for me. And the timing sounds perfect too. Hope you're right.

If LTE is not needed I'd look at the Nexus 4 just for the newer chip and 2GB of Ram and JB 4.2 - that said with the SG3 getting the multi-screen functionality of the Note 2 that may float your boat.

The Note 2 is a divine piece of kit so i don't envy your choice between the that and the SG3 - indeed had the Note 2 been out at time of purchase of my SG3 I would have gone for it instead. The screen size really makes a difference after a day of work with eyes tired and blurring - (to me at least as my eyesight starts to fail me).

You can do more and see more with the Note 2 - it fits easily into the back pocket of a pair of jeans and then there's the stylus...

I have the Note 2 and I find the killer advantages are the bigger screen and the awesome battery life; with normal use one can still have around 50% left by 11pm at night. In terms of size Samsung have done a great job on the ergonomics compared to the Note 1, after a few days use one does not even notice the size.

• Like 1

Op... if it doesn't work in the UK.. it may suggest that it is a stolen phone.. They have a very good lost and stolen register in the UK.

EVEN NEW it could have gone out the back door of the warehouse or shop.

Not stolen, I checked that out very early on in the saga.

I think the SGS3 and SGN2 are similar products, save perhaps the obvious screen/size difference and the N2's "pen" ability?

Maybe you could check out some youtube videos, and play with each in a Samsung shop to get a feel for each unit, especially if you have vision issues.

http://www.gsmarena....8;idPhone2=4854

http://www.gsmarena....8&idPhone2=4854

Which service provider to do you use in the U.K.? Do you need to use 3G? Do you use the phone in Thailand? 3G? Which provider?

http://www.gsmarena....8;idPhone2=4854

http://www.gsmarena....8&idPhone2=4854

I dont use a Uk service provider, when I am there I usually buy a PAYG sim card from O2, In Thailand I originally used DTAC but switched to True about one year ago.

Model number is HTC Desire, serial HT07EPL02963

Looks like UK t-mobile start up screen.

Must say, just picked up the Note II this week, and the phone/OS is very, very good. Screen is super responsive (would have to say better than iPhone) and processing power, well no hangs at all (so far). Also comes with large battery (3100 mA) so you can use the thing for three or four hours straight before connecting power bank.

I switched from HTC OneX (Which I thought was a great phone, the first real iPhone beater :lol:) to this primarily for the larger screen size and still being able to use it as a telephone without looking like you are wearing an elephant's ear.

Note II :thumbsup:

For use here in Thailand, LTE would be a TOTAL waste. Your new phone would be obsolete and worn out before Thailand has this service. You have to walk before you can run and they still have no practical 3G service.