Honda Makes Record Sales In Thailand: Flood Recovery

webfact

I thought the first time buyers program was to help Thai auto production. "First-Time Car Buyers to Receive an Excise Tax Deduction. The Government believes that its first-car buyer program will contribute to the growth of the automotive industry, which has become a driving force for the Thai economy.Thailand stands a good chance of expanding the automotive industry, as several foreign investors, especially the Japanese, have moved their production bases to the country. In 2010, Thailand produced 1.6 million vehicle units, an increase of 60 percent and the highest ever in the history of Thai auto manufacturing. Out of this number, 900,000 units were exported, a 68 percent increase, and 700,000 units were sold domestically, representing a 27 percent increase." http://thailand.prd....php?id=5859&a=2

The first time buyers scheme was supposed to be about helping Thai auto production, and helping those on lower incomes who previously had been unable to afford car purchase... hence why it was restricted to first time buyers.

would be interesting to see the socio-economic spread of buyers under this scheme - in particular how many of the 'owners' are the actual people paying for the car. A friend bought his swift in his sister-in-laws name - she can't drivelaugh.png

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having been a Bangkok man since 1994 I think only the years 1997 to about 2000 were reasonable traffic wise. The last two years things seem to turn for the worse again.

In the mean time the masterplan for public transportation is progressing nicely. The luncheon boxes for the highspeed train are defined and maybe even stored already wink.png

rubi

I comment not on the overall wisdom of the Governments plan to boost new car sales -- I simply post what I hope are accurate sales numbers. As the OP pointed out Honda sales are up --- but so is the entire market. GM Thailand claims to have increased their production by 37% this year -- to date. As the article pointed out this "boost" to new car sales has been pretty impressive (up 71% -- with 3 months still to go!)

Without doubt the usual suspects shall propose that the the La Nina effect .. or the phases of the moon are the cause of this astounding production boost in the Thai Auto industry....... but that's not really any surprise.

Last year Thai auto exports were valued at just under 800 billion Baht --- it is a pretty important industry to the nation. As a response to the damage of the floods of November last year this kind of financial incentive seems to have extremely successful.

Now rubi ... whilst I sympathize with your traffic problems in the capital I think its worth remembering that around 90% of Thais don't actually live there .... and in the less populated areas of Thailand the "extra" vehicles on the road may be of somewhat reduced impact.

After the devastating flood damage it has certainly helped one of Thailand's most important industries.

Tigs, I agree that Honda seems to be doing very well this year. Since they didn't really get started again till about mid-April, it is indeed amazing. I wonder if the flooding gave them the opportunity to replace some equipment improving productivity. Note that the OP doesn't really tell us that all sold cars were actually produced in Thailand, put together here, or imported.

From an economical point of view (an area I don't know too much about) I wonder if the higher numbers are part of a catch-up from months of flooding last year, or a big spending government, or the first car owner/buyer scheme. As such I'm not sure the higher sales numbers are really structural. wai.gif

Having been a Bangkok man since 1994 I think only the years 1997 to about 2000 were reasonable traffic wise. The last two years things seem to turn for the worse again.

In the mean time the masterplan for public transportation is progressing nicely. The luncheon boxes for the highspeed train are defined and maybe even stored already wink.png

rubi

I comment not on the overall wisdom of the Governments plan to boost new car sales -- I simply post what I hope are accurate sales numbers. As the OP pointed out Honda sales are up --- but so is the entire market. GM Thailand claims to have increased their production by 37% this year -- to date. As the article pointed out this "boost" to new car sales has been pretty impressive (up 71% -- with 3 months still to go!)

Without doubt the usual suspects shall propose that the the La Nina effect .. or the phases of the moon are the cause of this astounding production boost in the Thai Auto industry....... but that's not really any surprise.

Last year Thai auto exports were valued at just under 800 billion Baht --- it is a pretty important industry to the nation. As a response to the damage of the floods of November last year this kind of financial incentive seems to have extremely successful.

Now rubi ... whilst I sympathize with your traffic problems in the capital I think its worth remembering that around 90% of Thais don't actually live there .... and in the less populated areas of Thailand the "extra" vehicles on the road may be of somewhat reduced impact.

After the devastating flood damage it has certainly helped one of Thailand's most important industries.

Tigs, I agree that Honda seems to be doing very well this year. Since they didn't really get started again till about mid-April, it is indeed amazing. I wonder if the flooding gave them the opportunity to replace some equipment improving productivity. Note that the OP doesn't really tell us that all sold cars were actually produced in Thailand, put together here, or imported.

From an economical point of view (an area I don't know too much about) I wonder if the higher numbers are part of a catch-up from months of flooding last year, or a big spending government, or the first car owner/buyer scheme. As such I'm not sure the higher sales numbers are really structural. wai.gif

What is a structural sales number?

• Like 1

rubi

What is a structural sales number?

Good question, my dear chap. I must admit I wasn't really clear there. What I meant was

- What are the total car sales figures in Thailand over the last five or so years (ignore 2011 because of flooding)

- How are sales divided over the various local and non-local companies

- With Honda having a boomer year, how are the others doing

- What are the prognoses / expectations for the coming years ?

BTW how's traffic in CM?wai.gif