Dtac Web Page Changed

bubba1

English page here: http://www.dtac.co.th/en

http://www.dtac.co.t...et-package.html

199 baht + 7% VAT

*104*28#iconcall(1).png

Am I reading this correctly...........??

399 Baht Unlimited package for a month.....!! (not interested in speed anyway)

With 1gb at a quicker speed ??

Edited in........It says unlimited Dtac Wifi...........?? Do they just give you a password or once you have activated a package it will automatically search for the wifi signal anyway ??

Am not technical minded so bear with me if answer obvious

Edited by AdmiralNelson

Edited in........It says unlimited Dtac Wifi...........?? Do they just give you a password or once you have activated a package it will automatically search for the wifi signal anyway ??

Yes, I think you are reading and understanding this package correctly.

399 baht/month (+VAT) and you get "unlimited" 3G, or whatever your location/phone can handle as a maximum, up to 1 GB of data (up and down), after which time your speed is cut-back to 64 Kbps. DTAC has very limited WiFi coverage.

TrueMove H (599 baht/2 GB) and AIS/One-2-Call (550 baht/2 GB) have similar packages, and they have much broader WiFi coverage via partnerships. Both have 1 GB packages for 350 Baht but these are hard-capped at 1 GB.

Yes, I think you are reading and understanding this package correctly.

399 baht/month (+VAT) and you get "unlimited" 3G, or whatever your location/phone can handle as a maximum, up to 1 GB of data (up and down), after which time your speed is cut-back to 64 Kbps. DTAC has very limited WiFi coverage.

TrueMove H (599 baht/2 GB) and AIS/One-2-Call (550 baht/2 GB) have similar packages, and they have much broader WiFi coverage via partnerships. Both have 1 GB packages for 350 Baht but these are hard-capped at 1 GB.

Ideal and thanks for responding............

I only want for emails and Banking and a few forums with no Youtube or downloads etc so I guess 1GB could well last an entire month ??

399 baht/month (+VAT) and you get "unlimited" 3G, or whatever your location/phone can handle as a maximum, up to 1 GB of data (up and down), after which time your speed is cut-back to 64 Kbps.

Well, in the interest of somewhat honesty in advertising, DTAC's English web page cited above doesn't call their 399 baht per month package an "unlimited" 3G package, which it isn't, of course.

Rather, they call the overall package "Unlimited Internet Usage", which I guess it is owing to the unlimited offer for 64 Kbps speeds, and "Unlimited" for 3G/Edge, which I guess again the 64 Kbps offer would qualify as.

Dang, the last time I was getting 64 Kbps on my Internet, I think I was subscribing to CompuServe back in the States and had an IBM PC running Windows 3.1 tongue.png . We truly live in a land of vision and progress!

399 baht/month (+VAT) and you get "unlimited" 3G, or whatever your location/phone can handle as a maximum, up to 1 GB of data (up and down), after which time your speed is cut-back to 64 Kbps.

Well, in the interest of somewhat honesty in advertising, DTAC's English web page cited above doesn't call their 399 baht per month package an "unlimited" 3G package, which it isn't, of course.

Rather, they call the overall package "Unlimited Internet Usage", which I guess it is owing to the unlimited offer for 64 Kbps speeds, and "Unlimited" for 3G/Edge, which I guess again the 64 Kbps offer would qualify as.

Dang, the last time I was getting 64 Kbps on my Internet, I think I was subscribing to CompuServe back in the States and had an IBM PC running Windows 3.1 tongue.png . We truly live in a land of vision and progress!

I think I covered that in my post?

TrueMove H and One-2-Call/AIS have 1 GB/350 baht plans which are hard-capped.

I think almost everyone can appreciate the advantages of an unlimited plan, even with a FUP of 64 Kbps?

TrueMove H and AIS/One-2-Call's "unlimited" plans start at 2 GB and have a fair-use speed of 128 Kbps, so double the speed of your CompuServ service.

DTAC/Happy have a 1 GB/399 baht unlimited plan with a fair-use speed of 64 Kbps. DTAC/Happy's other unlimited plans: 3 GB/650 baht and 5 GB/890 baht have a fair-use speed of 384 Kbps.

Ideal and thanks for responding............

I only want for emails and Banking and a few forums with no Youtube or downloads etc so I guess 1GB could well last an entire month ??

Happy to help, and glad you understand the details of the plan. I think 1 GB would be sufficient, but even if you run over you'll still have service, albeit at 64 Kbps, and you won't pay anything extra.

There are other volume-based and time-based plans but those need to be "managed" more carefully to avoid excessive over-use charges.

Edited by lomatopo

Loma, the point was, DTAC's website never describes or calls their plan "unlimited" 3G, which is the exact language you used in your prior post, whether or not one includes your quote marks.

You inaccurately called it "unlimited" 3G, with the ensuing explanation. But DTAC didn't use that term on their website. And of course, their plan isn't unlimited 3G. They did, however, say "unlimited" for 3G/Edge. Not quite the same thing.

I wasn't taking issue with your explanation. I was taking issue with your mistakenly throwing in the term/title "unlimited" 3G.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Loma, the point was, DTAC's website never describes or calls their plan "unlimited" 3G, which is the exact language you used in your prior post, whether or not one includes your quote marks.

You inaccurately called it "unlimited" 3G, with the ensuing explanation. But DTAC didn't use that term on their website. And of course, their plan isn't unlimited 3G. They did, however, say "unlimited" for 3G/Edge. Not quite the same thing.

Oy vey. You're as pedantic as jchandler. tongue.png

For the 1 GB DTAC/Happy plan, once the monthly 1 GB data limit has been reached, ensuing service is capped at 64 Kbps. Said service is still delivered over UMTS/HSDPA, hence 3G, assuming one has 3G coverage. Similarly, the other "unlimited" plans from DTAC/Happy have a fair-use speed limit of 384 Kbps, which can be delivered over 3G.

And finally, any "unlimited" plan from TrueMove H will have a FUP of 128 Kbps, delivered over 3G; any unlimited plan from AIS/One-2-Call might have a FUP of 384 Kbps, delivered over 3G.

Now I'm sure you have a point, just not sure what it is other than to try and confuse people. I think most people understand what unlimited means.

Ahh... so uncapped 64 Kbps maximum data speeds delivered over a 3G connection is what Loma calls "unlimited" 3G??? Amazing... Of course, not even DTAC was calling it unlimited 3G, unlike you. They correctly used the term "unlimited" 3G/Edge, again unlike you.

Last time I checked, 64 Kbps doesn't quite qualify as 3G in most customers' minds, not even in Thailand. Although, the specs on such things are admittedly pretty loose.

ITU has not provided a clear definition of the data rate users can expect from 3G equipment or providers. Thus users sold 3G service may not be able to point to a standard and say that the rates it specifies are not being met. While stating in commentary that "it is expected that IMT-2000 will provide higher transmission rates: a minimum data rate of 2 Mbit/s for stationary or walking users, and 384 kbit/s in a moving vehicle,"[20] the ITU does not actually clearly specify minimum or average rates or what modes of the interfaces qualify as 3G, so various rates are sold as 3G intended to meet customers expectations of broadband data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

OK, I will now refer to any/all mobile broadband data plans as "providing unlimited internet usage", assuming they are not hard-capped. Do you find that terminology acceptable?

DTAC/Happy is unique in that they offer "unlimited internet usage" on a 1 GB package, albeit with a very low fair-use speed limit of 64 Kbps - the FUP on this package was 384 Kbps when it was first launched, and I did get them to honor that FUP, at least for 12 months. With AIS/One-2-Call one has to go up to the 3 GB/799 baht package to get "unlimited internet usage" with a 384 Kbps FUP, while TrueMove H requires a 2 GB/599 baht package with a FUP of 128 Kbps. Anything below these package thresholds has a hard-cap, and does not provide "unlimited internet usage".

Further DTAC does allow one to cancel, and re-up prior to the end of their term assuming they are unsatisfied with their "unlimited internet usage" FUP of 64 Kbps. Other providers may allow this as well.

tiitonal calling, with a current promotional price of 3 baht/min to the U.S. (fixed or mobile).

DTAC also has, or had?, a power boost option which allowed one to pay a little extra for "unlimited internet usage" at real, true, honest, seriously, 3G speeds, for some brief period. But I cannot find any reference to that promotion now.

Edited by lomatopo

That's the terminology DTAC used on their website.... and that accurately describes what they're offering for the 399 baht per month plan and its unlimited 64 Kbps mobile data.

At least for their higher 650 and 890 baht per month plans with larger high-speed data caps (3 and 5 GBs), the unlimited data portion they're offering is capped at speeds of 384 Kbps max. That's at least getting close to what most people would call 3G.

I'm a big fan of calling things what they actually are... smile.png

So I will make every attempt to categorize plans as offering either "limited internet usage", or "unlimited internet usage", and feel free to point out any future phrases you find unacceptable, or not representative of what they actually are...smile.png

So I will make every attempt to categorize plans as offering either "limited internet usage", or "unlimited internet usage", and feel free to point out any future phrases you find unacceptable, or not representative of what they actually are...smile.png

Sounds fine to me. I wasn't trying to make it a big deal, nor did I consider it as such.

But real "unlimited 3G" in the mobile world is a pretty hard thing to come by...

In my experience, other carriers sometimes throw around that kind of a term, and then you have to read in the tiny fine print that that's not really what they're offering.

In this instance, I really was trying to give DTAC credit for clearly and accurately marketing their plans...and not mischaracterizing them...

Cheers.

tiitonal calling, with a current promotional price of 3 baht/min to the U.S. (fixed or mobile).

Not sure what happened here but that should read:

DTAC/Happy offer international calling on their 004 prefix, with a current promotional price of 3 baht/min to the U.S. (fixed or mobile). CAT 009 rate has the same but I find the quality on DTAC/004, as a DTAC subscriber, to be markedly better.

Dtac 399 baht a month Package means unlimited usage..............

Forget Speeds..........................Not interested because of no consequence for my usage.

Apologies if I started a minor spat !!

Not a problem, I thought you understood what I said/meant when I wrote:

you get "unlimited" 3G, or whatever your location/phone can handle as a maximum, up to 1 GB of data (up and down), after which time your speed is cut-back to 64 Kbps.

Obviously the beauty of an plan which offers "unlimited internet usage", even with a low FUP rate of 64 Kbps, is that you can still use the service for low-bandwidth apps like email, messaging, etc. With a plan from TrueMove H, or AIS/One-2-Call which offers "limited internet usage" you are sh*t out of service when you hit your cap. Obviously having mobile data, even if just 64 Kbps, is better than a sharp stick in the eye.whistling.gif

Edited by lomatopo

DTAC/Happy offer international calling on their 004 prefix, with a current promotional price of 3 baht/min to the U.S. (fixed or mobile). CAT 009 rate has the same but I find the quality on DTAC/004, as a DTAC subscriber, to be markedly better.

True also offers a comparable 006 prefix international calling service, including 3 baht per minute to the U.S. and a bunch of other countries, for its True Move and True Move H mobile lines, True fixed line and True Online customers. No need to sign up. Just use the 006 prefix from an eligible True phone.

Although these days, with the proliferation of free or lower-cost international calling options like those based on Google Voice, SIP, and other services, 3 baht or about 9 cents per minute for calling the U.S. from Thailand isn't as much of a deal as it might have been considered a few years ago. But still far better than dialing direct and paying ridiculous market rates.