Does Thailand Have The Ability To Make Good Cheese?

rene123

Sadly I've tasted that Mexican cheese & I think the Filipinos copied the same horrible recipe, now in terms of proper cheese NZ makes some really decent cheese, was in SIN recently and they have a wide selection of Irish cheese that wasn't that bad either.

In terms of production here no idea but thought there was someone who was making or attempting to make proper cheese ? haven't seen it but would try it for sure.

My issue with cheese is storage, I don't mind paying the price and I have regular visitors bring a stash every now and then, But with the heat I'm forced to keep it in the fridge and try to remember to take it out on time and consume it before it melts or oils up.

Mexican cheese is not one kind. Did you realize there 100 or so different kinds of Mexican Cheese? Did you taste them all?

post-73727-0-02258900-1353336225_thumb.j

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly I've tasted that Mexican cheese & I think the Filipinos copied the same horrible recipe, now in terms of proper cheese NZ makes some really decent cheese, was in SIN recently and they have a wide selection of Irish cheese that wasn't that bad either.

In terms of production here no idea but thought there was someone who was making or attempting to make proper cheese ? haven't seen it but would try it for sure.

My issue with cheese is storage, I don't mind paying the price and I have regular visitors bring a stash every now and then, But with the heat I'm forced to keep it in the fridge and try to remember to take it out on time and consume it before it melts or oils up.

Mexican cheese is not one kind. Did you realize there 100 or so different kinds of Mexican Cheese? Did you taste them all?

I didn't realise there were so many different kinds of cheese in Mexico, they can have 1000 and it wouldn't matter for my taste. If Thailand can copy one and master it well then good - until then I'll stick to my imported proper cheese.

I didn't realise there were so many different kinds of cheese in Mexico, they can have 1000 and it wouldn't matter for my taste.

Word on the street is that Mexican cheese was originally developed as a buoyancy aid to cross the Rio Grande but I don't know if it is true.

• Like 1

I didn't realise there were so many different kinds of cheese in Mexico, they can have 1000 and it wouldn't matter for my taste. If Thailand can copy one and master it well then good - until then I'll stick to my imported proper cheese.

Actually lack of taste would be the appropriate phrase. Your proper cheese is frankly rather provincial. Maybe a tour of France is in order for you. Do you know how many cheeses they make in France? Oh I forgot, not proper eh?tongue.png

I didn't realise there were so many different kinds of cheese in Mexico, they can have 1000 and it wouldn't matter for my taste.

Word on the street is that Mexican cheese was originally developed as a buoyancy aid to cross the Rio Grande but I don't know if it is true.

Silly off topic post. Maybe to the level of a flame. At least it would get anyone who knows anything about cheese angry. May not be a problem here though.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Silly off topic post. Maybe to the level of a flame. At least it would get anyone who knows anything about cheese angry. May not be a problem here though.biggrin.png

I know nowt about cheese bar the fact that it does give me odd dreams...

I have had Thai made cheese in Rayong at the country farm where they make the Mangosteen wine and it was pretty fair...

Milleens is the best cheese I have tasted anywhere....and even better if aired for an hour or so in the humidity of Thailand.

Trouble is keeping good cheeses for more than a few days is difficult....that and most Thais total aversion to the product.

Its just not going to catch on.

HeavyDrinker....PM me for help if you want to avoid murdering someone....whistling.gif

Smokie can we find this Irish cheddar cheese in BKK ? or do I need to invite my Parents to visit again LOL

I have just returned from my butchers and he stocks about half a dozen locally made UK Style cheeses (Cheddar, Red Leicester, Lancashire....) I cant comment on the taste at the moment as I recently returned from the UK and have a fridge full of stuff I brought with me.

Milleens is the best cheese I have tasted anywhere....and even better if aired for an hour or so in the humidity of Thailand.

Trouble is keeping good cheeses for more than a few days is difficult....that and most Thais total aversion to the product.

HeavyDrinker....PM me for help if you want to avoid murdering someone....whistling.gif

Smokie can we find this Irish cheddar cheese in BKK ? or do I need to invite my Parents to visit again LOL

Its not a cheddar....its a softer cheese with a real depth of flavour....more so the runnier it becomes in the humidity of Thailand.

As to the question of getting it in Bangkok, well I haven't looked to be honest as cheese generally is so expensive.

Only place I have ever bought it was Neal's Yard in Borough Market, London.

Happy hunting! smile.png

A thread on good cheese and nary a mention of Roquefort, for shame, for shame.

This is another great cheese, but don't expect any Thai to eat this one. My gf enjoys cheese, yet anything blue and sharp she just loathes.

Anyone know a Thai who would enjoy Roquefort?

Its not a cheddar....its a softer cheese with a real depth of flavour....more so the runnier it becomes in the humidity of Thailand.

As to the question of getting it in Bangkok, well I haven't looked to be honest as cheese generally is so expensive.

Only place I have ever bought it was Neal's Yard in Borough Market, London.

Happy hunting! smile.png

Don't know why I typed cheddar - I jumped to the distributors too quickly and got lost.

Neals I've seen and am back often enough I'll take a look.

Thank you

A thread on good cheese and nary a mention of Roquefort, for shame, for shame.

This is another great cheese, but don't expect any Thai to eat this one. My gf enjoys cheese, yet anything blue and sharp she just loathes.

Anyone know a Thai who would enjoy Roquefort?

I do !

<b>smokie36, on 2012-11-20 11:22:08, said:</b><br /><br />This is another great cheese, but don't expect any Thai to eat this one. My gf enjoys cheese, yet anything blue and sharp she just loathes.<br /><br />Anyone know a Thai who would enjoy Roquefort?<br />
<br />I do !

I might try to sneak some into a croque monsieur or such like....:lol:

Since the OP did ask about Thai making cheese, i can say the Foodland supermarket have cheese they label as local.

They have both mozzarella and cheddar variety but very soft to touch, so the lack of saltiness taste and flavour.

Not great but edible.

When you make lasagne or something that need a large amount of cheese, can mix it with together with an import cheese if you like and will not cost and arm and leg!

if you buy it in a block and want to grate then best to put in freezer for a little while first thumbsup.gif

True, the 120 baht block of mozzarella from tesco isn't quite what I'd prefer, but for crying out loud it's pizza! We're not talking about caviar on toast points, people.

Apparently more people are lactose intolerant than not.

We really only need milk when we are babies.

I think your "only" is misplaced in that sentence, but I get your meaning anyway.

For that matter, we really don't need any particularly kind of food or beverage. They serve only as a means to deliver nutrients to our body and, secondarily, as sources of pleasure.

A bit of a tall order considering the entire USA can't make decent (regular everyday) cheese! I mean its some orange plastic substance.

As a side issue its very difficult to even buy butter in the USA, let alone decent cheese for a simple sandwich. (50% fat butter, unsalted butter, I cannot believe its not butter, but NOT FRIGGING ACTUAL BUTTER!!).

If Canada makes decent cheese then its not widely for sale in the USA.

Actually the above is from my experience a long time ago when I spent 4 months travelling all over the USA back in 1995....hopefully things have changed but I suspect the cheese is still some plastic substance that is not even the correct colour....

A bit of a tall order considering the entire USA can't make decent (regular everyday) cheese! I mean its some orange plastic substance.

As a side issue its very difficult to even buy butter in the USA, let alone decent cheese for a simple sandwich. (50% fat butter, unsalted butter, I cannot believe its not butter, but NOT FRIGGING ACTUAL BUTTER!!).

Actually the above is from my experience a long time ago when I spent 4 months travelling all over the USA back in 1995....hopefully things have changed but I suspect the cheese is still some plastic substance that is not even the correct colour....

Of the 50 best a number are made in the USA. Read it and weep. http://www.thefiftyb.../best_cheese/1/

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Of the 50 best a number are made in the USA. Read it and weep. http://www.thefiftyb.../best_cheese/1/

I would hardly weep when the USA cheeses that are mentioned are copies (admittedly good) of other nations cheeses.

I would hardly weep when the USA cheeses that are mentioned are copies (admittedly good) of other nations cheeses.

I think that is the point of the thread. No one expects Thailand or the US for that matter or the UK to invent new varieties of cheese. At this point in time I think it is all about execution. Who knows how to make a good cheese which is means a cheese our palates are used to and familiar with.

The poster above said, " A bit of a tall order considering the entire USA can't make decent (regular everyday) cheese! I mean its some orange plastic substance." which is obviously not true as pointed out in the article about the 50 best cheeses.

I have to agree with F & I. (and he said "regular every-day" cheese. I lived in the USA for over 3 years and found it difficult to get good-quality hard cheese. My recent month in Toronto I found to be similar.

I do not think that the 50 Best you quoted were widely available.

I have to agree with F & I. (and he said "regular every-day" cheese. I lived in the USA for over 3 years and found it difficult to get good-quality hard cheese. My recent month in Toronto I found to be similar.

I do not think that the 50 Best you quoted were widely available.

I guess we could play that game. NYC and Fort Knox KY are going to have different cheeses. As is Bangkok or Udon. America has great cheese and wine yes. America does not have great cheese and wine everywhere.

The USA has some wonderful cheeses and wine too.

No argument but it has far more mediocre and even appalling wines and cheeses. For the size of the nation the numbers of good cheese products isn't very high. I believe the average American would prefer cheese whizz or a processed slice.

Edited by RabC

The USA has some wonderful cheeses and wine too.

No argument but it has far more mediocre and even appalling wines and cheeses. For the size of the nation the numbers of good cheese products isn't very high. I believe the average American would prefer cheese whizz or a processed slice.

I believe your point is that Americans don't like good cheese or wine. Or actually you could substitute almost anything that is good wherever you come from.

What I find appalling is that you feel the need to slag America in a thread titled Does Thailand have the ability to make good cheese.

Am I the only one who gets tired of this constant repetition of negativity about other countries?

Give it a rest.

Is it possible to make good cheese in a hot climate? Of course it is. Will Asians ever be a great cheese market? Considering the lactose intolerance; probably not.