Pay Your Tax In The Uk Or Thailand

edd

Has any one worked out if it is beneficial to pay tax on the UK old age pension, in the UK or in Thailand?

The UK and Thailand has a reciprocal tax agreement so you can choose where you pay tax.

In my case the UK personal allowances could not be counted in any calculation as I have a company pension which accounts for the tax allowances.

So it would be a comparison between the UK basic 22% tax against what ever the Thai tax is.

I have looked at the sites on the internet but they don’t help much.

The amount is quite small, approx. £130 per week from the UK, O.A.P. + about £100 on

Interest.

Any information would be appreciated. :o

A reciprocal tax arrangement means that you don't have to pay tax in both countries. It doesn't mean you get to choose which tax to pay. Any income generated in the UK will be taxed by the Inland Revenue.

A reciprocal tax arrangement means that you don't have to pay tax in both countries. It doesn't mean you get to choose which tax to pay. Any income generated in the UK will be taxed by the Inland Revenue.

You could be correct but i found this on the uk government pension web site

``Applications and Claims by Non-residents under Double Taxation Treaties

Applications and claims under Double taxation treaties

If you have income from a source in one country and are resident in another, you may be liable to pay tax in both countries under their tax laws. To avoid 'double taxation' in this situation, the United Kingdom has negotiated double taxation ('DT') treaties with more than 100 other countries. Each treaty is called either a 'Double Taxation Agreement' or a 'Double Taxation Convention', depending on the wording of the treaty.

Also available to download is our DT Digest (PDF, 1.09MB) which summarises the main relieving provisions of the double taxation treaties we deal with. (Version December 2005).

If you are a resident of a country with which the UK has a double taxation treaty, you may be able to claim exemption or partial relief from UK tax on certain types of income from UK sources.

If you go to http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/app_dtt.htm you can download a PDF file with a summary of all the double taxation agreements. It specifically says (Thailand - note 4) that there is no relief for State Pension payments for people who live in Thailand. Sorry.

HO-HUM!!!

Back to the Drawing Board.

I will just have to pay our imperious leader :o some more tax.

Thanks for your info :D