Retiring At 32 Next Feb!

ExCommando

I wonder what is it that attract people to Thailand (beside the obvious, of course).

truth be told thai doesnt have much to offer besides hot bargirls. ok...maybe rice............lol.

ive asked numerous times what does thai have that isnt found anywhere else? and please dont say culture.............lol.

• Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I've been developing plans for modular housing that's easily relocated for when I've got enough to invest in a 30-year lease.

Will need to make sure the payment terms make sense in case for when the neighbors become intolerable or the landlord changes their mind or I just get tired of that location.

But at least I'll be able to take the house itself with me to the next location.

Build a houseboat. Easy to move, fun to live in, no property tax, no property. I've never lived in one but it sounds like fun. Get rocked to sleep most nights.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am not a troll - what would the purpose be?

I'm on here to try and meet a few people before we arrive.

My daughter is 6 months old; will we stay in Thailand until she is at school age? Who knows.

For us, it's a 1 - 3 year plan to relax in the sun and chill out. If it becomes our home, so be it.

I've picked Thailand because we know the country from holidaying there and the cost of living is relatively low.

Ignore the negativity, always surprises me how much there is on this forum. Good luck with the move.

A basic guess would be to make sure you've got enough money to cover you and your family until you are 95 - however much that may be.

My dad will be 96 in January and lives very well in the US, so maybe 95 isn't a long enough plan.

Of course he no longer buys green bananas, LOL. smile.png

Mu grandmother died last week aged 100, so as I won't get a pension(apart from my kids) I'd better start thinking about the long game, just in case. Well hold on, I believe in living one day at a time. OK, I'd better start thinking about it unless I want to be working till I die.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Is OP a troll? He opened this thread which adds nothing to the previous thread except to reopen the debate.

I wish you the best of luck. I am not sure that I can logically understand how raising a farang child in a rural area of a third world country where neither you nor your wife speak the local language is a good idea. It sounds like you are on an adventure and your child is just a piece of luggage and as a parent myself, I just can't relate to that.

edit: Just to say, reading the OPs post it is getting more and more likely that he is just a troll.

Edited by farang000999

phew ..quite the philosophizer....So in short you spend your life planning for the last years . commendable no doubt but a bit boring methinks.

Sorry but I am a bit dense re the lying to yourself bit.

In short I spend a minute amount of time planning for the future and focus on enjoying today without jeapordising tomorrow. That might be financial decisions or any other choice in life - Is it boring? I'm not sure that I've ever lived a boring life.

Don't worry about being a bit dense on the Lying to yourself , from time to time we all are a bit dense on that front, myself included.

What does it matter if the OP is a troll. He is either a 32 year old going into early retirement in Thailand (which is fraught with all the challenges we see and read about on a daily basis) or he's a guy posting a wind up of a life he is not living.

Eitherway he's making choices for himself, the consequences of which will be for himself.

What he say can only upset others if they choose to be upset.

Enjoy!

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

well done, 32 years old thats fantastic.

hope you love it.

Spent loads of time in Thailand - one of my best mates lives and works there.

Bringing my wife, young daughter, and my mother with me - going to be a great new life for us all :)

Any advice or input appreciated.

Try not to get too frustrated with the people and situations u will encounter after the honeymoon period is over its Thailand and if u take a deep breath even when dealing with the basic mundane things should be ok ,count how many times u will say "u got to kiddin me" put 20baht in a jar everytime and you will have a nice pension fund and then try to smile , hope you have a great life here...good luck.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I get the impression that the OP is misguided in his definition of retirement.

To me it sounds like a very extended holiday and he will live his intended 3 or so years in "holiday mode" which will empty his pockets rather quickly.

I hope he enjoys himself, but as mentioned before.....living here and holidaying are two completely different beasts.

I've picked Thailand because we know the country from holidaying there and the cost of living is relatively low.

The cost of living isn't low unless you choose to live as the natives do. If you want Western housing and Western food and two cars and all else that is West, you won't save a dime. What you save in housing you'll lose in Western food, sundries, durable goods, cars, and most else.

Expats go to Thailand for the girls. </subject> They can live cheaper if they rent cheap, eat as Thais do, (I can't hack that even most of the time) do without a good car and use public transportation, maybe buy a used scooter, and so on. Most important, they can have a girl much younger and cheaper if they are wise about it.

Unless you actually are coming for the bar girls, I give you 6 months. Actually I give your wife 6 months in any event.

I think you are over generalizing somewhat. Expats don't all go for the girls. The cost of living in Thailand is cheaper than in the West, and the standard is higher. I certainly have far more "spending money" each month, than I would if I was back in U.K.

I have a decent house, satellite TV, Transport, all the usual appliances and eat Thai and Western food. Often eat out during the week - and always at weekends. Two holidays a year in the U.K and three or four short breaks in the region per year.

I don't earn a fortune, and not as much as I did in the U.K., but the money goes a lot further here.

Fairplay to the OP, it sounds like he has income coming in so it's not really going to be a big problem for him.

• Like 1

I wonder what is it that attract people to Thailand (beside the obvious, of course).

truth be told thai doesnt have much to offer besides hot bargirls. ok...maybe rice............lol.

ive asked numerous times what does thai have that isnt found anywhere else? and please dont say culture.............lol.

Good weather, cheap food, beaches, more relaxed lifestyle and the obvious.

• Like 1

I guess living in Thailand is better than living in the UK if you don't have a good income, but it probably says a lot more about the cost of living and weather of the UK rather than how great Thailand is. I suppose if I would come from Scotland I would find Thailand's weather "good", too. The food is cheap because the main ingredients are sugar and oil. Try to eat healthy on a budget and it ends up being a challenge. How the average Thai person drives is enough to bring your stress level higher than anywhere in the West.

The thing is, the OP can pick any destination in the world. If he has a decent passive income, why picking a developing country like Thailand? The only city that won't turn him into a depressed, lonely alcoholic is Bangkok and the cost of living is comparable to any city in the world if you want a decent lifestyle. Living in some random house in some random city 'with the wife' might work for the 40+ crowd, but it's not going to work for most 30ish guy who wants to a live a satisfying lifestyle for his age.

OP, try to find out if you can get a long term visa in a civilized country, like Germany. If only for your daughter.

• Like 1

did i just read the standard of living in thailand is higher, compared to where.

I think someone said that his standard of living was higher in LOS than it would be in the UK. For some that might be true. Instead of being homeless in the UK, you could rent a 2,000bht "apartment" in LOS and the dumpster diving has mangos. (Voice of experience here, LOL. Love those dumpsters.) :)

If on the other hand you bring a wife and child to LOS and expect to maintain the Western lifestyle which is two cars, a fully equipped home, medical insurance and all else to match, I don't believe it's cheaper.

I could be wrong but I don't go to LOS for it to be cheaper. I'm not willing to live like a 3rd world peasant (not to say that anyone is) if I can afford better.

So you were an ex-commando at what, 26? You then developed a presumably multi-million $ business in 5 years, and during a recession too. In my experience the type of people that are able to do that, don't even consider retirement. They certainly don't move to Thailand. I would also venture to suggest that your average commando isn't bright enough to achieve any of that.

More like ex-territorial army with a failed business venture behind him trying his luck abroad cos it's cheap. Though I hope for your sake you're just a troll.

• Like 1

just be yourself and enjoy it.

stay busy, many get bored after a time, get grumpy and turn to alcahol.

plenty to do if you look around.

After that, running a few other businesses I'm involved in remotely from Thailand, and also looking at starting a few smaller businesses in country. More than enough to keep me occupied :)

What do you do?

If you run a business, you are not retired.

I find it curious that a 32 year old successful man would want to come and live in the back blocks of Thailand.

I couldnt think of anything worse. Why would you?

Believe me the cost of living is not that cheap if you want to lead a similar lifestyle to what you had in the west.

Further if you were a successful businessman the cost of living in Thailand wouldnt really be a factor as you would have plenty of money already?

Edited by Tolley

Expats go to Thailand for the girls.

Unless you actually are coming for the bar girls, I give you 6 months. Actually I give your wife 6 months in any event.

i am so tired of hearing this &lt;deleted&gt;.

Just because you or every lowlife you know is in thailand to get laid because you couldn't manage it anywhere else don't tar me or the people i know with the same foul brush.

I think he is unable to differentiate between an expat and a monger.

Most of the expats I know over here are working or have retired.

The bars of lower Suk are full of desperate mongers looking to get laid on their 2 week holiday.

Maybe he should change his circle of friends for a better understanding of expat life here.

• Like 1

Actually I've been developing plans for modular housing that's easily relocated for when I've got enough to invest in a 30-year lease.

Will need to make sure the payment terms make sense in case for when the neighbors become intolerable or the landlord changes their mind or I just get tired of that location.

But at least I'll be able to take the house itself with me to the next location.

Build a houseboat. Easy to move, fun to live in, no property tax, no property. I've never lived in one but it sounds like fun. Get rocked to sleep most nights.

but you've been there done that whistling.gif

I wonder what is it that attract people to Thailand (beside the obvious, of course). It's great to visit for a short vacation, but there really is no reason to move there, especially if you have a family. If you've experienced negativity in this forum in the past, it's because there is a lot of bitterness from people who are stuck in the LOS. I would be bitter too, if I would be stuck there; I currently live somewhere else and my life is much better in every way than my short time in Thailand.

One of the biggest challenge that people probably overlook at your age is the challenge of making friends and networking. There are very few people who are in the same situation as you, and if you live outside Bangkok, it's extremely likely you'll end up with a deeply unsatisfying social life. (Even in Bangok, it's pretty hard to make friends).

Prima facie, Thailand might appear like a bargain destination, but it really isn't, unless you live in the middle of nowhere. But then if you live in the middle of nowhere, it's pretty depressing.

If you would be alone, I would just say go for it. But seeing you're dragging your family, I would strongly advise against it.

You learned a lot from your short time in Thailand. Forgive me for pointing out that many who have come to live here might dispute your airy observations. Who wants friends who are in the same situation as you anyway, why not widen your horizons to include people with different backgrounds and values and even if you run into them more rarely this just makes the encounter more rewarding. For me a deeply satisfying social life does not necessarily mean guzzling overpriced coffee in plastic emporiums or blindly writhing to some sound barely recognisable as music it is about warmth, interaction and being content at the end of each day. But I do agree with you that dragging the family, anywhere for that matter, is not a good idea. Perhaps he is not dragging his wife, she may be Thai for all I know, his child is very young so shouldn't be too adversely affected.

Expats go to Thailand for the girls.

i am so tired of hearing this &lt;deleted&gt;.

Just because you or every lowlife you know is in thailand to get laid because you couldn't manage it anywhere else don't tar me or the people i know with the same foul brush.

You know, I don't mind you snipping my quotes as long as you don't snip the context and hear only what you want to hear. I said:

The cost of living isn't low unless you choose to live as the natives do. If you want Western housing and Western food and two cars and all else that is West, you won't save a dime. What you save in housing you'll lose in Western food, sundries, durable goods, cars, and most else.

Expats go to Thailand for the girls. </subject> They can live cheaper if they rent cheap, eat as Thais do, (I can't hack that even most of the time) do without a good car and use public transportation, maybe buy a used scooter, and so on. Most important, they can have a girl much younger and cheaper if they are wise about it.

Now, I don't go to LOS for the bar girls myself and don't think most expats do. But I believe that most are looking for a younger, prettier gal with fewer economic demands than they would find back home. Some get married. Some have girlfriends. Some live a nice life. It's still the girls. Reality is that an older guy has more prospects in LOS, and maybe even better if he never sets foot in a bar or meets a bar girl.

I didn't mention bar girls until the end, and then only because the OP is married and bringing a family.

So you were an ex-commando at what, 26? You then developed a presumably multi-million $ business in 5 years, and during a recession too. In my experience the type of people that are able to do that, don't even consider retirement. They certainly don't move to Thailand. I would also venture to suggest that your average commando isn't bright enough to achieve any of that.

More like ex-territorial army with a failed business venture behind him trying his luck abroad cos it's cheap. Though I hope for your sake you're just a troll.

You do realise that the entire Royal Marines from top to bottom (the best part of 10000 men) are commandos, don't you? Not to mention certain regiments / battalions from the Army who also make up 3 Commando Brigade together with the RM. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Trembly

The 'Long Game' is many things.

When I was 18 the 'long game' was my old man advising me to join the company pension.

When I was 30 the 'long game' was an older friend and colleague telling me to make investments at 30 so I had the choice 'to walk' in my mid fifties (not so that I would have more money at 65 than the plan my old man advised me to put in place).

In life the long game is to tell yourself the truth today, lest the truth bite you in the ass tomorrow.

On TVF the long game is, our posts are not deleted, they can be searched and reposted in the future.

This is the internet, be who or what you want to be....... but whoever you choose to be you will not buck the long game.

The only way to play the long game is upfront truth now - you cannot win lying to yourself.

Interesting way of thinking.

I was curious about why someone wants retirement at 32...

Your "long game" remember me some quote or enlightenment

"Live as If it is the last day, love like you've got all the time in the world."

I don't understand this forum, the dude says he wants to retire at 32 ...

Why do we all assume he is a liar ...and if he is a liar who really cares ...but if he does and the "long game " is his demise .he will delete his account and start again saying he is somebody else ...I don't see the point in the negativity ....nobody is forced to write a post we all do because the rest of our lives are boring I'm doing it coz right now I'm bored stupid

Thai visa is in the bog and is sinking day by day

The same repetitive posts over and over again ,the same posters and the same mud slinging ...I'm not helping by writing this garbage either

It's ok tough I'm not looking for replys or for anybody to try convience me that Thai visa is a helpful site .it isn't and hasn't been for a long time ..can an expiereneced poster show me the light to the delete account button and I'll bid you all farwell

Lots of young former army people with lifetime 'grace and favour' pensions after being injured in a war zone. I know a couple. You can also get medical retirement pensions from other services, for example police and firefighters.

Edited by TommoPhysicist