Absconding Fathers Required By Law To Support Children ?

mandee

Yes, a father can be made to pay child support. In case the father is not the legal father (in essence they didn't marry) one first has to file a paternity suit against the father to have the court establish that one is the father. As a result one can be sued fr child maintenance.

Child maintenance in Thailand depends on the age of the child, and is in the range of 3,000 to 6,000 baht a month plus both parents share the cost for education and health care.

If need be a judge can order that an employer deducts the maintenance from the salary and pays it directly to the mother.

Yes, a father can be made to pay child support. In case the father is not the legal father (in essence they didn't marry) one first has to file a paternity suit against the father to have the court establish that one is the father. As a result one can be sued fr child maintenance.

Child maintenance in Thailand depends on the age of the child, and is in the range of 3,000 to 6,000 baht a month plus both parents share the cost for education and health care.

If need be a judge can order that an employer deducts the maintenance from the salary and pays it directly to the mother.

I would like to pursue this avenue, I imagine a DNA test will be required and the use of a lawyer.

I recently got a copy of the child's birth certificate and the name and address of the father is shown.

The mother says he is dead.

Is there any backdating and what are the chances of enforcement ? Does anyone have experience.

FYI I have been fully supporting the child emotionally and financially since his birth, he is now 3 and a half.

Thank You

Assuming that the mother is incorrect and he is alive and is also in an official job ie employer is withholding tax and social security payments, then the chances of enforcement are very good, as Mario said, employer can be empowered by the courts to deduct the amount before payment to him.

If he has an unofficial job, paid in cash, or has no job at all then much more difficult to enforce.

Note also that if he is paying he can ask for visitation rights or even shared custody, not saying that they would be granted, just a heads up.

Is there any backdating and what are the chances of enforcement ? Does anyone have experience.

FYI I have been fully supporting the child emotionally and financially since his birth, he is now 3 and a half.

Thank You

If they were not married there is almost no chance of getting support.

The legal fees required (even if married) often outstrip any maintenance that can be collected.

No backdating, and enforcement only possible if father working in taxable employment within Thailand.

Normal maintenance awards are approx 100bht per day (sometimes as much as 200bht per day but very rare).

But remember if an award of any amount is made the father can ask (and probably get) shared custody of the child.

IMHO don't waste your time and money.