The Worst "expat" Pub In Bangkok?

bluebear

The Big Mango wins my vote for the best burgers in Bangkok.

Ok, I'll bite, my turn to sound like I've been living in a "black forest"; where's the Big Mango, is it in the suk area of the bigger mango, is it a pub, or just grub, or a kiosk, or? Sounds like a visit may be in order :o

Personally I prefer going out in other areas of the city for a change of scenery. Plenty of good places to eat and drink along Kaset-Nawamin Road and Prachacheun Road.

Never heard of either those places, what sort of scene goes on there? Any particular bars to recommend?

The Big Mango wins my vote for the best burgers in Bangkok.

Ok, I'll bite, my turn to sound like I've been living in a "black forest"; where's the Big Mango, is it in the suk area of the bigger mango, is it a pub, or just grub, or a kiosk, or? Sounds like a visit may be in order :o

Its directly above Lucky Lukes in NEP - used to be Vixens Go Go many moons ago - now a pool bar type of place.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Black Swan, underneath Asok BTS station (same side of Sukhumvit as Emporium, opposite the Volvo showroom). Only been in there once and it's a bit small (shophouse design cleverly adapted) and you have to go up one of those winding staircases like in Jools to get to the toilets. Which might be a bit of a challenge after a few jars. But it seemed nice enough.

I used to go to Jools, but it's like a members only place downstairs and the restaurant upstairs is like a morgue. Given it up. I enjoy The Londoner, because I've always found the staff to be extremely friendly and there's an extensive menu and the food is good. Their own lager isn't too bad either, for Bangkok. It's my choice for Christmas dinner, and I go there every week while in town. No one vets me or anyone else at the door, as someone has suggested. Just a friendly greeting from the staff. The only problem I've had there is on quiz night, when they reserve the entire centre section a couple of hours ahead for the players. Stupid and unnecessary.

I've been to the one on the Japanese soi near Patpong whose name escapes me at the moment, and had the bill padded. They only had one chance, so they're off the list. I agree the Offshore is like a members only place, and the pies in the chip shop attached are appalling.

I tried the Robin Hood when it first opened, but I found it went dowhill quite quickly, and I was once served a roast chicken the size of a pigeon.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Black Swan, underneath Asok BTS station (same side of Sukhumvit as Emporium, opposite the Volvo showroom). Only been in there once and it's a bit small (shophouse design cleverly adapted) and you have to go up one of those winding staircases like in Jools to get to the toilets. Which might be a bit of a challenge after a few jars. But it seemed nice enough.

I agree the Offshore is like a members only place, and the pies in the chip shop attached are appalling.

I tried the Robin Hood when it first opened, but I found it went dowhill quite quickly, and I was once served a roast chicken the size of a pigeon.

22-(jock bar)...............8/10........

Mucky Duck.................7/10.......

Offshore (rays joint).....8/10.......

Huntsman pub..............2/10......

mentioned... :D

agree about Rays hot pies in the Offshore...recons he must import them from his hometown of Preston...every 6 months... :o

I've been to the one on the Japanese soi near Patpong whose name escapes me at the moment, and had the bill padded. They only had one chance, so they're off the list. I agree the Offshore is like a members only place, and the pies in the chip shop attached are appalling.

I think the name of the pub is The Barbican. It feels more like a yuppie wine bar than a boozer. Pricey as well.

I think the name of the pub is The Barbican. It feels more like a yuppie wine bar than a boozer. Pricey as well.

Bobbys .......................1/10......

Barbican......................8/10........

Irish Exchange.............6/10........

I gave it 8/10

Believe that its still owned by the same outfit that runs the Dogs Bs (Bulls Head)..Little bit peng but got a happy hour and from mem. u can still "toss the boss". :D ...do I have to expl....

It is a bit of a "yuppie"joint but have you seen the very respectable crumpet that frequents the place...not for your average...etc.etc... :o ....nice ambience.......

I enjoy The Londoner, because I've always found the staff to be extremely friendly and there's an extensive menu and the food is good. Their own lager isn't too bad either, for Bangkok. It's my choice for Christmas dinner, and I go there every week while in town. No one vets me or anyone else at the door, as someone has suggested. Just a friendly greeting from the staff.

No, no, you are not vetted at the door, of course, and the Beefeather girl is so nice I go there just to see her smiles. The crowd I was referring to generally minds their own business - their places at the bar are right as you walk in, always "reserved". Just crossing their paths is not recommended.

I don't have an axe to grind, just something/someone I don't like about the place. I usually watch Sat early kickoffs there - plenty of TVs and I can follow two games simultaneously.

Worst Robin Hood :D

Best: Bulls head....by a mile :D

The Londoner serves good chilli and is not so bad when you are pissed and its busy ... otherwise its <deleted>.

BILLY RULES :D

Even remembers my name when I go back 2 years after I moved out

TOP BLOKE, great staff and they don't change the staff that often.

The only thing that pisses me off about it is if I go there at around 3pm with my Wife there are a load of ex-pats f'ing and blinding about something or other... You dont do that when a Lady is present, even if she happens to be Thai

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. Wan#ers :o

I agree nice enough but dangerous stairs!! Bit on the small side too.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think anyone has mentioned The Dubliner. Always liked the place although Brenda and Ivan recently departed-

Agree re The Robin Hood- a real drab feel I think-like one of these new UK pubs.

Ray's pies are poor at the Offshore agree. Am quite surprised as he is in a darts league with another ex Pats pub on Soi 22, 'Flaming Moe's' a british owned bar that has excellent pies- shifts them by the dozens when I've been in. Very small place though in the Plaza.

Winking Frog- wouldn't bother

Intersting list of expat pubs and I agree with most of the rankings, but why is Silver Dollar rated as an expat pub? It's hardly the same as the others. It's a Washington Square bar.

Actually it raises an interesting definitional issue. What makes an expat bar different from a 'regular' bar. Is it the *ahem* inability to barfine staff? If that's the case, Silver Dollar shouldn't be ranked amongst the others.

Intersting list of expat pubs and I agree with most of the rankings, but why is Silver Dollar rated as an expat pub? It's hardly the same as the others. It's a Washington Square bar.

Actually it raises an interesting definitional issue. What makes an expat bar different from a 'regular' bar. Is it the *ahem* inability to barfine staff? If that's the case, Silver Dollar shouldn't be ranked amongst the others.

I agree that the Silver Dollar should not be included, and I also agree with your defintion - ie expat pubs don't allow bar fining of the girls, tho' some might disagree.

I was the one who mentioned the Silver Dollar - somewhat in jest as a cheaper alternative to the Robin Hood, and is only 5 mins walk away. I pointed out that in my opinion, the Silver Dollar served good farang food at at half the price of the RH, and was altogether a better place to have a few beers. Didn't claim it was an expat pub. Hope this solves the confusion. :o

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

The only thing that pisses me off about it is if I go there at around 3pm with my Wife there are a load of ex-pats f'ing and blinding about something or other... You dont do that when a Lady is present, even if she happens to be Thai

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. Wan#ers :o

....steady TP, my GF is reading this. :D

So it looks as though the Robin Bstds boozer has been voted the worse Expat Pub in Bangkok..even LOS :D

Any body around who wants to volunteer and go along and tell the management the good news and maybe get their comments :o

Have to agree, the Robin Hood is sh*t. Expensive food which is crap, some really weird looking guy who calls himself 'something-or-other' the one man band providing the 'entertainment'. And the one of the managers is a complete ar*ehole. End of month drinks there with my colleagues and apparently on a Friday night you can't make any sound above a whisper. One and only time I went there.

:D Will probably be really unpopular , but isn't the Green Man on Phuket mental but doesn't it have fab food. (And prices to match). I want a branch toopen here in Bangna :o

I trust you mean without the Goat-shaggers (Freemasons) in their silly uniforms that haunt the place?

I would say the 'Silver Dollar' is an ex pats pub as it is well- full mostly of Ned's regular ex Pats despite the fact the girls will do almost anything for a bar fine.

I mentioned a similar bar 'Flaming Moe's' as again the place has a real pub feel but some of the girls will bar fine. The vast majority of the regulars are ex pats.

Can see the difference obviously between say these bars and the Londoner etc although one of the Offshore girls did ask me to take her home when last in there-same as O'Reillys in Silom.

Can see the difference obviously between say these bars and the Londoner etc although one of the Offshore girls did ask me to take her home when last in there-same as O'Reillys in Silom.

Just one? You ain't to hansum then cause they're all up to it; 300baht barfine plus the rest.

From what I've read about the ICF, they like to think they are more notorious than they actually are. :o

In their day, the ICF (Inter City Firm) were a nasty outfit. Their heyday was in the 1970s, when football violence in Britain was at its worst and well-orchestrated. They were West Ham United supporters (I use the term loosely) and would organise massive fights with other such outfits like F Troop or Treatment (both Millwall) or the Chelsea Headhunters.

They were all pretty much put out of business in the 1980s, although they still exist in a minor form or in memories.

As for ex-pat pubs, I don't really go to any, but last year I took a team to the Bangkok rugby 7s and we ended up in the Londoner. It was pretty dire and I shan't be going back.