The Worst "expat" Pub In Bangkok?

bluebear

My vote would go to the Robin Hood.

No atmosphere, average service, over priced food......

Was in there for the first time in ages last sunday. On the board outside they said they would be showing the Ipswich v Norwich game so against my better judgement went in to watch the game. They had the south african sports channel on one set of tvs and golf on the other, so i settled down at a table in front of a tv doing the preview of the football. For the next ten minutes they swapped the channels on the tvs and then settled on an option.

Of course, it was the option that meant instead of looking straight at the tv I now had to turn round and watch another tv. Not such an easy thing considering I had ordered food. And yup, I didnt get what I ordered. I ordered pork wiener schnitzel, a few minutes later the waitress came back and asked pork or chicken, I said pork, ok. she then reappeared with the meal and I tucked in. Hmm doesnt taste like pork, I called the waitress over and asked. Turns out, I got chicken as they didnt have any pork. Then <deleted> DIDNT THEY TELL ME? I could be allergic to chicken, I might not like chicken but did they tell me? No.

They decided in their 'wisdom" to have the sound turned up on the golf and not the football. I asked them to swap. Cannot. Why? Because people watch golf. Hmm, looking round I saw precisely no one actually watching the golf. Aw ###### it. I try to watch the game anyway but loose interest and decide to read one of the internet newspapers they have. Five minutes in, they dim the lights so I cant read it anymore? Why dim the lights?? I ask myself will I ask the staff or not, whats the point. I will only get blank looks or get a "because we do" answer.

As a treat I ordered a pint of cider. Turns out that the glass you get is actually a real pint glass. It is not the same size of glass you get when you order a pint of beer, its smaller! So not only do you pay more than for a beer, you get less. Oh yes, while we are on the subject why the ###### do they quote prices without the tax??? If I ruled the world, any bar or restaurant that did this would be set on fire with the manager ( or whoever authorised that decision ) inside it. Makes me MAD!!

Then the crowning glory - Johnny. The one man band from god knows where, an indian looking guy who probably got the job because he was cheap. This "entertainment" is unsurprisingly far too loud and drowns out any sound from the tvs. Add to that his lack of talent and my night was well and truly spoiled.

Wont be back there again for a long time!

rant over :o:D

So whats your worst "expat" pub?

Was in there for the first time in ages last sunday. On the board outside they said they would be showing the Ipswich v Norwich game so against my better judgement went in to watch the game. They had the south african sports channel on one set of tvs and golf on the other, so i settled down at a table in front of a tv doing the preview of the football. For the next ten minutes they swapped the channels on the tvs and then settled on an option.

Of course, it was the option that meant instead of looking straight at the tv I now had to turn round and watch another tv. Not such an easy thing considering I had ordered food. And yup, I didnt get what I ordered. I ordered pork wiener schnitzel, a few minutes later the waitress came back and asked pork or chicken, I said pork, ok. she then reappeared with the meal and I tucked in. Hmm doesnt taste like pork, I called the waitress over and asked. Turns out, I got chicken as they didnt have any pork. Then <deleted> DIDNT THEY TELL ME? I could be allergic to chicken, I might not like chicken but did they tell me? No.

They decided in their 'wisdom" to have the sound turned up on the golf and not the football. I asked them to swap. Cannot. Why? Because people watch golf. Hmm, looking round I saw precisely no one actually watching the golf. Aw ###### it. I try to watch the game anyway but loose interest and decide to read one of the internet newspapers they have. Five minutes in, they dim the lights so I cant read it anymore? Why dim the lights?? I ask myself will I ask the staff or not, whats the point. I will only get blank looks or get a "because we do" answer.

As a treat I ordered a pint of cider. Turns out that the glass you get is actually a real pint glass. It is not the same size of glass you get when you order a pint of beer, its smaller! So not only do you pay more than for a beer, you get less. Oh yes, while we are on the subject why the ###### do they quote prices without the tax??? If I ruled the world, any bar or restaurant that did this would be set on fire with the manager ( or whoever authorised that decision ) inside it. Makes me MAD!!

Then the crowning glory - Johnny. The one man band from god knows where, an indian looking guy who probably got the job because he was cheap. This "entertainment" is unsurprisingly far too loud and drowns out any sound from the tvs. Add to that his lack of talent and my night was well and truly spoiled.

but did you tell them you wanted to watch the football?

I reckon the food in The 'Hood isn't too bad, actually, although I've never been in there to watch sport, neither have I witnessed this "entertainment" you mentioned so maybe I haven't seen the worst side of it yet.

Worst expat pub? Probably Londoner, I reckon, very stale, community hall type atmosphere.

For the best, I'd go for either the Irish Exchange or The Bulls Head. But if you count Gullivers as an expat pub, though, I'd put that pertty high up also.

Well no bar can please every customer - i admit its not the best but hey is there any need to rant about it? Maybe you should try one of the long list of good Danish bars?

I reckon the food in The 'Hood isn't too bad, actually, although I've never been in there to watch sport, neither have I witnessed this "entertainment" you mentioned so maybe I haven't seen the worst side of it yet.

Worst expat pub? Probably Londoner, I reckon, very stale, community hall type atmosphere.

For the best, I'd go for either the Irish Exchange or The Bulls Head. But if you count Gullivers as an expat pub, though, I'd put that pertty high up also.

Strangely enough, I've never been a fan of expat pubs, and I agree that the Londoner is appalling, but I got dragged into the Robin Hood a couple of times and found the food a bit pricy but not bad, and the staff friendly and efficient. Watched us win the Ashes in there and the atmosphere wan't bad - for a farang pub. However, some friends have told me that the food has gone downhill since I was last there, and the service along with it. Maybe a change of management/Chef?

What's wrong with crossing the road into Washington Square and getting good fresh food at half the price in the SilverDollar?

Now there's a place and a half!! :o:D

PS.The Bull's Head much better but very clique..ee !

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Makes my bad experience at the Robin Hood sound tame :D But it was still enough to convince me not to go there again. I guess this has answered your question though.

Although its not a bad looking gin joint both inside and out because Its generally locally known as the Robin Bstds pub it sure wont be my fav hangout...but as they say horses for..co etc.

might give it another go however on next trip...benefit of the doubt /past neg rip off ...exp..etc......

so off the top o me head.....say out of 10...(uk-us-Paddies)

Robin Bs.....................1/10..... :o

Bulls Head...................9/10...... :D

Dubliner......................5/10.......

Londoner.....................7/10........

Witches Tavern............3/10........

Silver $.......................5/10........

22-(jock bar)...............8/10........ :D

Mucky Duck.................7/10.......

Offshore (rays joint).....8/10.......

Huntsman pub..............2/10......

Gullies.........................7/10......

Toby Jug......................8/10......

Bobbys .......................1/10...... :D

Barbican......................8/10........

Irish Exchange.............6/10........

Jools...........................5/10.......

Checkers(q).................5/10..........

O Rilleys......................7/10..........

Bullys..........................5/10..........

will leave out the FCC & The british club since they aint stricky expats pzz parlours. :D

I agree, the Robin Hood bar. I went in with my wife when we were on holiday last year. We got in, went to the bar, and my wife ordered a drink and the farang manager shouted (and I mean shouted - THIS PRIVATE PARTY! YOU NOT COME HERE! Aside from the incredibly patronising manner, how about a sign? Maybe one of the doormen could have told us! I mean, who would want to go there on a Friday night anyway!

Proof that it Farang managers can be as inept at some of their Asian counterparts.

Good stuff - quite useful in judging these places. Thanks!!

Btw, where's the TQ on your list?

/// dfwbkk

Just got home. We played football againsdtedthe RH 3-0 we beat them. But i must add after benig in there for 2 hours the service was <deleted>

Makes my bad experience at the Robin Hood sound tame :D But it was still enough to convince me not to go there again. I guess this has answered your question though.

Although its not a bad looking gin joint both inside and out because Its generally locally known as the Robin Bstds pub it sure wont be my fav hangout...but as they say horses for..co etc.

might give it another go however on next trip...benefit of the doubt /past neg rip off ...exp..etc......

so off the top o me head.....say out of 10...(uk-us-Paddies)

will leave out the FCC & The british club since they aint stricky expats pzz parlours. :D

Interesting that you have o'reilleys and robin so different - they are run/owned by the same guys! but i suppose targeting different markets - one more tourist and the other more expat....

I couldn't agree more about Johnny, hearing Hotel California and American Pie for the X millionth time and badly at that makes me want to pull my eardrums out. He is at O Reiley's too, and I often leave if he's playing.

The Rovin Hood gets my vote for the worst as well. Witches wouldn't be good without Wednesday's Ladies night since the DJ plays the same 50 dance songs every place in Bangkok does. They have also added extra drinks to my tab enough times for me not to think it's a mistake. (And they have been things I don't drink, so it's not my mistake.)

Irish Xchange would probably be my favorite, with the Dubliner a close second. The Dubliner would be first but the manager has been rude to my Thai friends a few times and I had a cockroach crawl into my shoe last time. She seemed a bit huffy when I freed it from my shoe and stomped on it. (Hey, I understand TiT but she could have bought me a beer.)

Yep, drinking in the Londoner is like being in a dungeon. It's always dark as there are no windows in the place. On the positive, I've always found the service decent and friendly in the Londoner.

Last night after playing football, 3 of us decided to go to the Offshore and have some food. We sat in the bar and it felt like we were in a library.

You could feel all the regulars glaring at us as we had the cheek to have a conversation with each other in the bar.

Not recommended for anybody under the age of 45.

Last night after playing football, 3 of us decided to go to the Offshore and have some food. We sat in the bar and it felt like we were in a library.

You could feel all the regulars glaring at us as we had the cheek to have a conversation with each other in the bar.

Not recommended for anybody under the age of 45.

The Offshore? Where's that???

There is another expat pub(English). Its called The Winking Frog on Soi 7. Anyone been there? What did you think?

Winking frog- all round good grub and convivial atmosphere. Their apple pie hits the spot as well I might add :o (at half ? what you'd pay at the Huntsman for much lesser fare;) Also, add my thumbs up to the Scot pub on 22, good bunch in there, always a laugh. Nobody mentioned my fav little escape when in silom, Toby Jug? Not a "proper pub" but only proper snots could care. Proprieter Khun Anan and wife have been running the decent little pub for years. Always interesting local Expat business ppl gathered at the small bar. My bias is obviously for smaller, welcoming pubs.

Not to take the thread off track but some of the best pub fare (based on price, grub, quality, quantity) are outside Bangkok tho (imho). Eg, if the Pig n Whistle (pattaya) ever set up a similar one in Bkk, there'd be a lineup to get in! (they say they never will tho) :D Special nod to the Irish Rover in Ao Nang, possibly the best breakfast in Thailand -thumbs up from Vinnie Jones as well apparently; Don't even get me started on the 6 mile pub in Colwood, Victoria BC (best of the best!). Then again, Vic probably has the best collection of convivial neighbourhood pubs and brew pubs in the western world (WOT u say??) ooops, well off track now... :D

Erm, any other BANGKOK pubs of note then? :D

There is another expat pub(English). Its called The Winking Frog on Soi 7. Anyone been there? What did you think?

Winking frog- all round good grub and convivial atmosphere. Their apple pie hits the spot as well I might add :o (at half ? what you'd pay at the Huntsman for much lesser fare;) Also, add my thumbs up to the Scot pub on 22, good bunch in there, always a laugh. Nobody mentioned my fav little escape when in silom, Toby Jug? Not a "proper pub" but only proper snots could care. Proprieter Khun Anan and wife have been running the decent little pub for years. Always interesting local Expat business ppl gathered at the small bar. My bias is obviously for smaller, welcoming pubs.

Not to take the thread off track but some of the best pub fare (based on price, grub, quality, quantity) are outside Bangkok tho (imho). Eg, if the Pig n Whistle (pattaya) ever set up a similar one in Bkk, there'd be a lineup to get in! (they say they never will tho) :D Special nod to the Irish Rover in Ao Nang, possibly the best breakfast in Thailand -thumbs up from Vinnie Jones as well apparently; Don't even get me started on the 6 mile pub in Colwood, Victoria BC (best of the best!). Then again, Vic probably has the best collection of convivial neighbourhood pubs and brew pubs in the western world (WOT u say??) ooops, well off track now... :D

Erm, any other BANGKOK pubs of note then? :D

Yeah, the Queen Victoria in Chiang Mai, newly opened, is pretty damned good. And Vantana in Thong Sala, Koh Pha Ngan, has probably the best western pub-style food I've had in SE Asia.

By the way, I like the way this thread seems to have turned from highlighting the worst pubs into praising the best pubs in Thailand, good testament to the positive spirit of TV!

The Offshore? Where's that???

It's adjacent to the Offshore chippy on Sukhumvit 23, just around the corner from Soi Cowboy.

Winking frog- all round good grub and convivial atmosphere. Their apple pie hits the spot as well I might add :D (at half ? what you'd pay at the Huntsman for much lesser fare;) Also, add my thumbs up to the Scot pub on 22, good bunch in there, always a laugh. Nobody mentioned my fav little escape when in silom, Toby Jug? Not a "proper pub" but only proper snots could care. Proprieter Khun Anan and wife have been running the decent little pub for years. Always interesting local Expat business ppl gathered at the small bar. My bias is obviously for smaller, welcoming pubs.

The pies in the Winking Frog are delicious. The draught beer is pretty tasty too. Also the lads from the Winking Frog football team were very welcoming to the Sunbelt Thaivisa players after we played them. It might have something to with the fact that they beat us with a last minute goal. :o

The food at the Toby Jug is also good. Only been there twice but both times the proprieter was very friendly.

I used to drink in the old Bar 22 when it on Sukhumvit Road. Some nights the bell was constantly ringing and I ended up in a few drunken states. :D Always found Ray to be a good host. Unfortunately I haven't been to the new bar yet.

Edited by Spit the Dog

I personally think its crap and cannot stand the owner - hence only been there twice. Wouldnt even give it 1/10 - but thats my opinion

Funny you mentioned that, but there's an expat group at the Londoner who get to decide who is in and who is out of there. They are headed by "Al" and supported by a few old farts, and they get to decide on who can get in and who can't, like if it's some exculsive New York nightclub.

The management, of course, welcomes everyone, but stepping on the "old boys" toes seems to be a big offence and against the rules.

I was in The Bamboo bar in Sukhumvit last year there was a group of guys 40+ saying they were the ICF ( A notorious football gang ) and they were upsetting everyone.

I was with my wife and we moved away from the bar to play pool about 30 mins later we heard a smashing of glass as a Danish backpacker had knocked one of the guys glass over.

The guy apoligised and offered to replace the splilt drinks but a fight ensued and after the Danish man knocked the second boy to the ground the other five departed rather quickly.

Why do expat pubs allow these things to build instead of inviting allcomers to enjoy.

will leave out the FCC & The british club since they aint stricky expats pzz parlours. :o

:D:D:D O Rilleys better than Dubliner and Exchange - did you ever went there or did you just asked some tourists which one is most convenient to reach from tourist attractions like the Silom Nightmarket ? The atmosphere is aweful in the O rilleys. Or do YOU like "The Better" - Beatles coverband which is not able to play any song else?

No doubt my vote for the worst farang pub is O reillys but Londoner is not to good as well...

I was in The Bamboo bar in Sukhumvit last year there was a group of guys 40+ saying they were the ICF ( A notorious football gang ) and they were upsetting everyone.

I was with my wife and we moved away from the bar to play pool about 30 mins later we heard a smashing of glass as a Danish backpacker had knocked one of the guys glass over.

The guy apoligised and offered to replace the splilt drinks but a fight ensued and after the Danish man knocked the second boy to the ground the other five departed rather quickly.

Why do expat pubs allow these things to build instead of inviting allcomers to enjoy.

From what I've read about the ICF, they like to think they are more notorious than they actually are. :o

Also, add my thumbs up to the Scot pub on 22, good bunch in there, always a laugh. Nobody mentioned my fav little escape when in silom, Toby Jug? Not a "proper pub" but only proper snots could care. Proprieter Khun Anan and wife have been running the decent little pub for years. Always interesting local Expat business ppl gathered at the small bar. My bias is obviously for smaller, welcoming pubs.

Erm, any other BANGKOK pubs of note then? :o

See my score sheet ...

:D Did mention the Toby..and agree that its always been a nice little refuge in the mayhem that is Silom.

K.Anan is a very nice guy and did you know that the pub is now only half its origional size.He reconverted it to its present layout about 15 years ago....

Also found Rays new bar (jock-22) on my last visit (dave dive bar do when only Raro turned up) FYI its its opposite the "red hand cowboy"and yes agree about his old place on Suk Rd behind all those telephone boxes....lots of bell ringing..

The OFFshore in 23 is agreed a bit of an old expats hangout and on occasions i have found myself almost the youngest in the joint (no bus pass just yet)

used to be full of ....offshore oil guys,V-N vets,UN hangers on and just in from Saudi for 2 weeks .. R7R holiday makers ...bit of a time wharp...but quiet.... :D

Ref other comments ...O Rilleys...only make the odd visit nowadays but have happy memories from their opening nights/same Londoner ....about 5 plus years ago hence comment... horses for courses...up to you Etc.

Winking Frog OK but remember before when its was a gay bar,and even before that when it was a right little smelly place.....but agree its better now.

Someone mentioned the Irish Rover,but does anyone remember the origional I.R in Phnom Penh...not far from the Aussie Ettamogga pub and just round from Toms (all were in the Lonely planet)...rough old days but good fun..... :D

The worst expat pub is probably the one that is full of the biggest group of moaners and whingers gathered together on any particular night. So could be any pub in Bangkok if the aforementioned gentlemen happened to go there on the night you are there.

At which point does a dingy expat bar become an expat pub? The best and worst pubs are generally a matter of personal preference and opinion, right?

For atmosphere and enjoyment in the downtown areas I have had fun nights in the Winking Frog and Bull's Head, while The Big Mango wins my vote for the best burgers in Bangkok.

Personally I prefer going out in other areas of the city for a change of scenery. Plenty of good places to eat and drink along Kaset-Nawamin Road and Prachacheun Road.

Glad you enjoyed your evening. What was the score?

rant over :D:D

I agree, the Robin Hood bar. I went in with my wife when we were on holiday last year. We got in, went to the bar, and my wife ordered a drink and the farang manager shouted (and I mean shouted - THIS PRIVATE PARTY! YOU NOT COME HERE! Aside from the incredibly patronising manner, how about a sign? Maybe one of the doormen could have told us! I mean, who would want to go there on a Friday night anyway!

Proof that it Farang managers can be as inept at some of their Asian counterparts.

Are you sure it was a farang manager? Sounds like they have been taking English lessons from Thai students. :D

Edited by Sunderland