Uk Passport Renewal - Application Form Section 4/5 (Previous Passports)

I can't see any clear advice in the Fcogovuk website notes regarding how to complete the section regarding the current passport. I understand that living in Thailand it is only necessary to send a copy of the Passport face page but when completing the application form should this be shown as "Passport attached" in Section 4 of the form or "not attached" and covering details provided in Section 5. Section 5 doesn't really cover it as the passport is neither lost nor nor stolen nor is it really unavailable as it is in my possession and only not being sent due to having to keep it on my person in Thailand. I don't want to get it wrong and have the application refused or delayed.

Can anyone who has recently renewed their passport please confirm. Thanks.

In terms of section 4/5

Actually it is unavailible to the FO as you need to keep it on your personage while in Thailand, so technically you would correct in saying unavailible, just send the copy as requested

Thanks, that's the way I'm feeling. I do find the FO website particularly unhelpful and confusing. Countersignature is another area where clearer guidance needs to be given as every indication on the application form is that this part must be completed but hidden away on another page of guidance notes it seems that it is not required for renewals.

Edited by gmac

Yes, just send the copy of your details page, and in the notes section state something along the lines of "submitting copy only of old passport as per exemption given to applications from Thailand".

Yes, you will need a countersignature of your details by someone with an acceptable passport, and their details, (at the end of the form, I think from memory).

I agree, the explanatory form is not all-encompassing. I rang their queries line and paid £1.25 per minute...

Thanks for that so it sounds like a No to question 4 as to whether or not attaching passport and details of the reason for non availability in Section 5.

As for the counter signature I believe you are wrong as the guidance note I have now found says that this is only required for new applications, lost, stolen or damaged passports and renewals 'when your appearance has changed so much that it would be hard to recognise you from the photo in your last passport.'

Thanks for that so it sounds like a No to question 4 as to whether or not attaching passport and details of the reason for non availability in Section 5.

As for the counter signature I believe you are wrong as the guidance note I have now found says that this is only required for new applications, lost, stolen or damaged passports and renewals 'when your appearance has changed so much that it would be hard to recognise you from the photo in your last passport.'

I ticked unavailable on the online application form, then quoted the official website's advice on not sending the passport as being the reason. I didn't send a countersignatory as my features are almost unchanged; I checked first by phone with the helpline, asking whether a countersignatory was required seeing as I wasn't sending my original passport, only a copy, but again was told that it wasn't necessary if my "hansum man" face was unchanged.

The credit payment was logged in on 7th November, so presumably the application is being processed OK.

• Like 1

I ticked unavailable on the online application form, then quoted the official website's advice on not sending the passport as being the reason. I didn't send a countersignatory as my features are almost unchanged; I checked first by phone with the helpline, asking whether a countersignatory was required seeing as I wasn't sending my original passport, only a copy, but again was told that it wasn't necessary if my "hansum man" face was unchanged.

The credit payment was logged in on 7th November, so presumably the application is being processed OK.

Thank you, the perfect answer............assuming of course that your new passport comes back in due course!!

• Like 1

Thank you, the perfect answer............assuming of course that your new passport comes back in due course!!

I know I am pushing my luck by sending that reply to you, but as the buggers have deposited my money I am er.. slightly hopeful!

Fingers crossed mate.

I know I am pushing my luck by sending that reply to you, but as the buggers have deposited my money I am er.. slightly hopeful!

Fingers crossed mate.

Cheers and best of luck with yours. I see you did the online application form, did you fill in the bit where they asked for full name in Chinese characters??? What's that all about, then again I guess they are in China now!

Cheers and best of luck with yours. I see you did the online application form, did you fill in the bit where they asked for full name in Chinese characters??? What's that all about, then again I guess they are in China now!

Even when HK was still under Britain, a lot of the official documents were in both English and Cantonese....so nothing to do with being part of China now, its always been that way...rolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is not in the correct section but I cannot find anywhere more relevant.I wonder if any other members have any had delays in the supporting documents for their passport application being returned to them.I applied for my new passport 4 weeks ago and I received it yesterday but no sign of the documents being returned from Hong Kong.Part of the DHL courier fee is for this purpose as stated in the renewal of U.K passports in Thailand.I would be grateful if anyone can give any information on this matter

Fingers crossed mate.

Gmac, this may well be old news to you by now mate, but just to wrap this up, my passport arrived today, 4 weeks less 2 days since credit card debited. So, the countersignature wasn't needed in my case.

Nothing wrong with old news..............if it's good!! Nice to hear it all went smoothly without the need for a countersignature, haven't sent mine yet, next month I think, and a 1 month turnaround doesn't sound too bad.

You say 'needed' a countersignature but this was only your own feeling based on how you thought your features had changed. Unless your application was actually rejected by the passport office there is no knowing whether this was really necessary. I'm hoping it won't be necessary in my case as I haven't a clue who I could ask to countersign for me that meets the counter-signatory criteria.

Correct. Based on my own view that my photo had changed dramatically. As in better safe than sorry. If your old and new photos look very similar, then no worry about countersignatory. There are quite a lot of options about who can countersign.

Edited by samtam

In that case i'll try and make the point a little clearer...

Passport application forms are primarily aimed at people living in & applying from addresses in UK. IPS (Identity & Passport Service) allow a little discretion re applications from overseas because applicants may not have access to the list of eligable countersignatories that can reasonably be expected to be available back home. Signatures from Brit passport holders or Commonwealth citizens are usually deemed OK in such circumstances, providing they have known the applicant for the required amount of time.

Edited by evadgib

You say 'needed' a countersignature but this was only your own feeling based on how you thought your features had changed. Unless your application was actually rejected by the passport office there is no knowing whether this was really necessary. I'm hoping it won't be necessary in my case as I haven't a clue who I could ask to countersign for me that meets the counter-signatory criteria.

You can have it signed by a Thai of similar standing as the requirements for a Brit, such as a lawyer or a policeman - if I needed one my doctor would have signed.

In that case i'll try and make the point a little clearer...

Passport application forms are primarily aimed at people living in & applying from addresses in UK. IPS (Identity & Passport Service) allow a little discretion re applications from overseas because applicants may not have access to the list of eligable countersignatories that can reasonably be expected to be available back home. Signatures from Brit passport holders or Commonwealth citizens are usually deemed OK in such circumstances, providing they have known the applicant for the required amount of time.

"Allow a little discretion" and "Signatures from Brit passport holders or Commonwealth citizens are usually deemed OK" are all very well but not something that you would want to stake your application on. Some specific advice for those applying from abroad on the website designed for those very people would be helpful.

You can have it signed by a Thai of similar standing as the requirements for a Brit, such as a lawyer or a policeman - if I needed one my doctor would have signed.

All very well if you know a Thai of such standing and indeed that is mentioned on the website. In my case I am going to go without the countersignature and trust that my features haven't been too ravaged by the past 10 years!