Open A New Bank Account .

Phuketliving

Ok, so now we have the official line thanks to good teamwork smile.png

Now, has anybody opened a new bank account since say June 2012 (publication date is 23 May 2012)? So we might get an idea about the real life effect of this, if any?

Read my post #7. He applied at the Kbank in Kata about 2 months ago, say September 2012

Now, has anybody opened a new bank account since say June 2012 (publication date is 23 May 2012)? So we might get an idea about the real life effect of this, if any?

Read my post #7. He applied at the Kbank in Kata about 2 months ago, say September 2012

Thanks, so sounds like they are checking (phonecall), but no effect to worry about from the new regulations.

Thanks, so sounds like they are checking (phonecall), but no effect to worry about from the new regulations.

You know what it's like here (and not just here). Give some nobody the power to interpret the rules as he/she sees fit or in bad/sunny mood. Rules/regulations are just 'guidelines'. Immigration Department is a classic example we long termers have to deal with each year. tongue.png

You know what it's like here (and not just here). Give some nobody the power to interpret the rules as he/she sees fit or in bad/sunny mood. Rules/regulations are just 'guidelines'. Immigration Department is a classic example we long termers have to deal with each year. tongue.png

Yes, that is what I have said a couple of times already in this thread. I'm just glad we have managed to give OP the officvial rules and also the interpretation of those rules at one bank branche.Other branches may be different, but it looks like the OP has not much to worry about.

Opened a new account ( my second ) at Kasikorn Bank at Central Festival about 2 months without any problem.

Only passport from which they took a copy from the name page.

Walked out with bankbook and ATM card after about 10 minutes.

No checks or anything else.

Yesterday Siam Bank told me they now only open accounts with WP, marraige, or retirement visa.

At least they seem to know the rules now. When I opened my account seven years ago, they had to discuss opening an account without a WP. They finally got their head around a retirement visa that is for a year and states right on it "Employment Prohibited." It wasn't easy as the visa said I must enter Thailand within 3 months of issuance. They thought that meant it was only a three month visa.

Opened a new account ( my second ) at Kasikorn Bank at Central Festival about 2 months without any problem.

Is your first account also with Kasikorn? If so, the process may be a lot easier as you already have an acount with them.

Yesterday Siam Bank told me they now only open accounts with WP, marraige, or retirement visa.

What is it with Thailand and the magical retirement age of 50???? Why is it so hard for them to understand that some people can retire under the age of 50?

Why can't they create a long term visa for under 50's who can prove a 65,000 baht a month income from back home or 800,000 baht in the bank for more than 2 months, just like the over 50's????

Is your first account also with Kasikorn? If so, the process may be a lot easier as you already have an acount with them.

Yes my first account is also with KB (Patong Branch) which i have for about 20 years.

I have tried several banks in the last two weeks, both in Pattaya and Phuket. Up to date all have wanted a 12 month visa and residence certificate from Thai Immigration.

If anyone has open an account recently in Phuket on a 60 day tourist visa. It would be appreciated if you could provide the name and location.

Cheers

What is it with Thailand and the magical retirement age of 50???? Why is it so hard for them to understand that some people can retire under the age of 50?

Why can't they create a long term visa for under 50's who can prove a 65,000 baht a month income from back home or 800,000 baht in the bank for more than 2 months, just like the over 50's????

Never met anyone under 50 who is officially retired, a few over 55 who are self funded

and have no intention of working here, that's what its about

Never met anyone under 50 who is officially retired, a few over 55 who are self funded

Unfortunately, or fortunately, whichever way you look at it, we have never met. :) :)

Unfortunately, or fortunately, whichever way you look at it, we have never met. smile.pngsmile.png

The amount of posts you do i thought would you would have attended the TV party

It did not surprise me you did not attend wai2.gif

@ petercallen

I thought about going to a previous party, and stated on TV that I would prefer to remain anonymous on TV. Also, without knowing anyone on TV personally, my posting remains subjective.

I can assure you, that if some of the threads on this forum come up as a conversation around a bar one night, I would still be stating the same opinion in person.

@ petercallen

I thought about going to a previous party, and stated on TV that I would prefer to remain anonymous on TV. Also, without knowing anyone on TV personally, my posting remains subjective.

I can assure you, that if some of the threads on this forum come up as a conversation around a bar one night, I would still be stating the same opinion in person.

You had a opportunity to meet people from TV and chose to remain anonymous

The people who attended were nice people, not trolls

Good question! I used to ask that question a lot when the retirement age was 55. But after Immigration dropped it to 50, I lost interest.

I mist be missing something. How are you supposed to hold 800,000 baht in an account for two months in Thailand to get a retirement visa if you can't open an account without a WP, marriage or retirement visa?

Good question. However I know for a fact that one of my guests opened a bank account recently with only an accommodation contract - no WP, marriage, or other sort of visa. Maybe best to get input from others before assumptions are made ...

I mist be missing something. How are you supposed to hold 800,000 baht in an account for two months in Thailand to get a retirement visa if you can't open an account without a WP, marriage or retirement visa?

I always thought you couldn't get a visa for Thailand in Thailand. That's what immigration tells me. Although you can convert from one type of a visa to another. I got my retirement visa in my home country. I do get extensions of my visa in Thailand and have done so for years, which is where the 800,000 Baht in an account comes in or an earnings statement from your embassy.

I may have found the actual Thai regulations here:

http://www.amlo.go.t...CDD 2012 0812(2).pdf

First off, I want to thank you for the information. From the address I can only think it was not easy to find.

I wish I knew how to store things like this for future reference as I find search functions such as the one on TV are not "customer friendly". Or least I never spent the time to research and figure out how to use it properly.

You are a definite and distinct part of the life blood of this forum, sir.

I've read about a lot of fellows who say they arranged their ducks in such a proper way that they managed to retire at an early age.

I've also not met them personally but it has been reported on this forum as such.

I see no advantage of claiming it's so if it isn't. 555