Thai Traffic Police Plan To Improve Efficiency Of Famous Dummy Cop Ja Choei

webfact

Close eye on traffic

THE NATION

30194795-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Traffic Police plan to improve the efficiency of the famous dummy cop "Ja Choei" by installing security cameras on the mannequins and connecting them to a central system via Wi-Fi.

Each dummy will be fitted with two cameras, one set at a low angle and the other at a high angle.

The recordings from these cameras could be used to determine the cause of road accidents and identify which vehicle was at fault, police said.

"It's going to be clear which vehicle crossed into the lane of another," deputy Metropolitan Police commander Maj-General Worasak Nopasitthiphon said. Motorists commonly quarrel over who caused an accident, but the use of cameras would help to solve these disputes, he said.

According to Worasak, the camera-equipped "Ja Choei" will be set up at Mor Leng, Ratchayothin Bridge, Minburi Bridge, Bangkapi, Bang Na, Pathumwan, Arun Amarin, Ratchada Tha-Phra, Petkanjana and Prachanukoon.

"The batteries on the cameras can last for up to 24 hours," Worasak added.

Authorities planned to develop solar cells to power "Ja Choei" cameras in the future, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 22

This is the real Mccoy. Boy oh boy these Thais, they are something else. They figured out that these dummies work as a deterrent. With nice white gloves and flat abs who would ever doubt that they are the real thing? Bioy oh boy these Thais - they are the slickest people around.

This will run a while until the BiB get tired to change the batteries...

That would mean the BIB would actually have to get out if their air conditioned booths and do something. I expect there to be a third party contract for the dummy cop maintenance operation. It will be a closed bidding process with only one bidder. Probably in the neighborhood of one million Baht per year per dummy.

Here lies the problem.........

"The batteries on the cameras can last for up to 24 hours," Worasak added.

After which? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It doesn't matter. They think the sight of a 'dummy' policeman will slow the speeders down. Thus if the cop is a dummy the camera might as well be too. If they aren't stolen in the first week then no doubt someone will vandalize them.

Quite incredible 'thinking' IMHO.

Thousands of police officers will be at the political rally on Saturday 24th Nov, where do they normally "work"?

What people might do is sabotage these dummies (presuming they can distinguish them from the real thing) so as to make the police look stupid by continuing to exhibit them - I bet that would work. Not that I'm advocating civil disobedience or anything...

• Like 1

What people might do is sabotage these dummies (presuming they can distinguish them from the real thing) so as to make the police look stupid by continuing to exhibit them - I bet that would work. Not that I'm advocating civil disobedience or anything...

Perhaps they could also be used as rubbish receptacles or ashtrays at the very least.

After all, dogs will already be pissing on them with impunity.

Perhaps they could also be used as rubbish receptacles or ashtrays at the very least.

After all, dogs will already be pissing on them with impunity.

Are you working on your 'posts' count?

mmmh, what was wrong with the dummies with camera in the head? New envelopes needed to circle?

OB-QZ040_1213du_G_20111212220929.jpg

http://blogs.wsj.com...y-watching-now/

I like the last comment:

“I’m not afraid of these dummies,” said Ekachai Boonmatcha, 35 years old. “We all have a different style of driving and I like to go fast and swerve to avoid the potholes. If that’s a problem for the dummy, I’ll just ram it.”

Edited by noob7
  • Like 1

Well done BiB and the government.

What an outstanding response to the problems of dangerous and irresponsible driving and road safety in general in Thailand.

It certainly beats getting out there on your feet and actually enforcing the law, don't you think?

Huh? I think the idea is to catch and record traffic violations when they happen... running red lights, and that sort of thing. You want a human standing at each intersection and then taking a photo or running after a car when it does this sort of thing?? This system is intended to deal with traffic violations only....

Bring on the police state...

You mean like in the UK where this has been going on for a long time (sans dummies). Don't lose sleep ... this system is to deal with traffic violations, not to track which bar you walk into on Soi Cowboy.

Bring on the police state...

You mean like in the UK where this has been going on for a long time (sans dummies). Don't lose sleep ... this system is to deal with traffic violations, not to track which bar you walk into on Soi Cowboy.

Yes but in the UK they are mounted out of reach unlike here where the lower one will probaqbly get peed on by the resident soi dog and the higher one will get sprayed or nicked. Not all Thais are stupid for sure but whoever came up with this bright idea needs his head examined!