Motorbike Taxi Drivers

gharknes

If all the illegal parking that goes on in Pattaya was stopped, eg. Rental cars removed, Motor cycles for rent, Baht Busses etc, and the Public spaces were used by the Public, moving around Pattaya would be much easier for the Public. The only reason they are allowed to park\have taxi ranks where they do is due to the fact they are paying the right people.

Yes they are paying the right people....they are paying the proper authorities... They pay for the right to park in certain spots...This is why they are always parked in the same spots day in, day out.

Can you imagine what it would be like if it wasnt under some form of control....they would be parking anywhere, there would be fights as each group try to get the best spot, there would be rentals strung all along the street with no room for anyone else to park, or for delivery trucks to get in.

"proper authorities"? they pay the Police\Mafia!

Control? have you tried to park lately? many traffic jams are caused by delivery trucks double parking as they cant get to where they wont to be.

5\10 years ago the traffic situation was tolerable, with the increase in volume something needs to be done :o

Cheers :D

Control? have you tried to park lately? many traffic jams are caused by delivery trucks double parking as they cant get to where they wont to be.

5\10 years ago the traffic situation was tolerable, with the increase in volume something needs to be done :o

They actually pay the local government.....I once saw a girl in the local govt uniform come down to Mr Toys Bike rental outside the Roo Bar and ask young Mr Toy a few questions and then count the rental bikes.....after she left young Mr Toy explained to me what it was all about. She was checking that he was complying with his permit conditions which allow him so many bikes and a certain area of operation. If he strayed out of his allocated area or had more bikes than he is allowed, he would have been fined.

Yes I have seen the traffic jams.....but when you consider the width of the road it is hardly surprising... :D In the meantime we just sit and watch and shake our heads....TIT after all.. :D

I stand corrected Sir, Amazing Thailand, little did I realise Motor cycle stands were officialy policed, must keep a good few people in gainful employement. :o

The bottom line, as you state is TIT, we chose to be here, the traffic situation still gets right up my :D

They actually pay the local government.....I once saw a girl in the local govt uniform come down to Mr Toys Bike rental outside the Roo Bar and ask young Mr Toy a few questions and then count the rental bikes.....after she left young Mr Toy explained to me what it was all about. She was checking that he was complying with his permit conditions which allow him so many bikes and a certain area of operation. If he strayed out of his allocated area or had more bikes than he is allowed, he would have been fined.

Yes I have seen the traffic jams.....but when you consider the width of the road it is hardly surprising... :D In the meantime we just sit and watch and shake our heads....TIT after all.. :D

personally I blame the traffic situation on the increasing count of Baht Taxi's, they continually tour in a long daisy chain round 2nd road and beach road mostly empty, stopping when thety thinik they have a cutomer causing traffic obstructions everywhere.....there are simply just too many of them.

Do you not think the powers that be are not very clever to let a moterbike taxi stand in front of a familymart as there will be a lot of people wanting to park there and use the shop :o

And just as many people who come out of the shop with their arms full needing a taxi ride home... :D:D

Do you not think the powers that be are not very clever to let a moterbike taxi stand in front of a familymart as there will be a lot of people wanting to park there and use the shop :o

And just as many people who come out of the shop with their arms full needing a taxi ride home... :D:D

Yes thats true but can they not walk about say 10 feet away from the front of the familymart to get a moterbike taxi that is not right in front of the store, but I forgot this is los no common sense :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have always found Pattayas moto taxi drivers and baht bus drivers extremely helpful and polite.I have also never experienced this so called double charging that I've read about.

I love the city of peace

Now where dit I put my happy pills and rose tinted spectacles. :o

I have always found Pattayas moto taxi drivers and baht bus drivers extremely helpful and polite.I have also never experienced this so called double charging that I've read about.

I love the city of peace

Now where dit I put my happy pills and rose tinted spectacles. :D

50:50 chance that either a Bahtbus driver or motocy taxi boy nicked 'em... :o

All,

Yes these boys are trying to make a living and some falang had probally just ripped them off. Here you are in their spot. They show you some attitude and you dont want to budge but do. Looking back in hinsight you could have done a whole host of things to defuse the situation.

1. Got on your mean motobike with cig hanging out and drove off. I dont think they see a lit cig as an excuse to not leave.

2. Told them you were a moto taxie driver also and WHERE THEY GO. Try some humor.

3. Get on your mean moto bike and do your best burn the tires on the pavement routene that even Evil Kanevil would be proud.

4. Walk over and repark your bike on down the street or even IN THE STREET.

We all have been there and going away very slow might have been an option.

Expect to be pissed off every so often and laugh about it.

LLL

• 1 year later...
Remember we are a guest in this country and good to Understand Thai culture.

Barry

'Thai Culture'?

Oh you mean this..?

they then motion me quite rudly....they are obviously quite angry at this and motion me to move now or they beat me up....one of them approaches me and takes a swing....one of them hits me a thump in the back...farang go home
Yep!

You've got Thai Culture down to a 'T'. <_<

Yes these boys are trying to make a living and some falang had probally just ripped them off.
Should this quote should be placed in the 'Thais can do no wrong' column?

It's all the fault of those horrible 'farangs' again.

Edited by RusticCharm

I take between two and four motorbike taxies every day. I have never had a problem with any of them, except one minor problem when after I instructed the guy which way to go, he twice insisted in going other routes... causing me a delay of twice the normal travel time. Upon arrival, I cut the agreed fare from 60 baht to 40 baht... and he was refusing to take my money... finally i threw it in the basket and walked away...

Most of these guys are hard-working, eager to get out and drive you, and are generally pretty safe and well qualified. Not all, but most.

I only had one incident where the guy tried to seriously cheat me, and I cut the fare down to what a Thai would paid... normally i would give say 40 baht for that run, and I cut it to 20 and told him not to give stupid prices like 200 baht. I asked him: "do i look stupid to you?" he understood me. i would like to think he cheats people less now, than in the past.

My pet peeves with these guys are when they aren't smart enough to have a basket for the customer's packages, AND if they are physically too big to accomodate a passenger safely or comfortably. Sometimes, the driver (it can be male or female), is just too big, and my buttocks is riding the metal rail in the rear of the seat... If a dirver is going to be heavy, at least they can get the LARGE size bike and large seat.

And occasionally, if they give me the REAL price, the price a THAI should pay, I will always give them at least 20 or 40 baht tip.

Never had a bad experience with them, I keep away with my bike from 'their' places, so keep it easy and cool! Same refers to the Bahtbus drivers! Just know the limits and let them keep their faces, easy like that!

Yes they are paying the right people....they are paying the proper authorities... They pay for the right to park in certain spots...This is why they are always parked in the same spots day in, day out.

You've totally missed the point.

The problem is that the areas where the motorbike taxis park are not marked, and it's up to us (farangs) to GUESS where we can park. If the areas were marked, this would be a non-issue and the OP would not have ended up in this very unpleasant confrontation.

I've been here a while now, so I know the situation and can usually work out where I can safely park without getting in the way of these thugs. I've been waved on very rudely and been close to confrontation a few times in the early days when I first arrived here.

It's a big problem for newbies and short-term vacationers who don't know the ropes.

I believe this is a serious enough issue that requires some urgent consideration by the council. They need to get their paint and signs out there to mark pick-up areas.

Whoops! Sorry! I just realised I'm replying to an 18 month old thread. :o...anyway, it's still relevant as things haven't changed at all in that time.

Edited by tropo