Health Insurance

ThailandNeil

If your friend is a tourist, he/she should have purchased a travel insurance policy before arriving here; you don't want to be on holiday in Thailand without travel insurance. That would have covered most problems - a common exclusion from most policies is injury resulting from alcohol or drug use, howeverbiggrin.png. If your friend is retired you use the power of google to find an insurance company or a broker and buy a policy from them, as the previous poster suggested.

I f you are retired, like me, you are better advised to 'self insure, like I do. These guys will augment the premiums every year, exclude you from heart treatment because you had high blood pressure.. believe me I have looked into it, people that have paid a lot of money over the years finding themselves without cover.

I f you are retired, like me, you are better advised to 'self insure, like I do. These guys will augment the premiums every year, exclude you from heart treatment because you had high blood pressure.. believe me I have looked into it, people that have paid a lot of money over the years finding themselves without cover.

Just make sure you have a couple of million Baht available, you probably will need it.

Yes I know. I just don't want to find out, as so many others have, that I can't afford the premiums. If I go home I get treatment for free. Actually I have a dead cheap Thai insurance, ฿10 500.- a year but that goes up quite rapidly in premiums after 65.

Yes I know. I just don't want to find out, as so many others have, that I can't afford the premiums. If I go home I get treatment for free. Actually I have a dead cheap Thai insurance, ฿10 500.- a year but that goes up quite rapidly in premiums after 65.

Unless you are very young, you will also have ‘dead cheap’ benefits should you ever need to claim !

If your friend is a tourist, he/she should have purchased a travel insurance policy before arriving here; you don't want to be on holiday in Thailand without travel insurance. That would have covered most problems - a common exclusion from most policies is injury resulting from alcohol or drug use, howeverbiggrin.png. If your friend is retired you use the power of google to find an insurance company or a broker and buy a policy from them, as the previous poster suggested.

Should have purchased ! blah blah blah! If you are a fit 77 and quoted $A3000 plus for six months what options are there ?

• Like 1

It's so personal, some like to pay themselves and some like to have a insurance. For me it's important, because I'm still healthy but when you got something, just like my friend unexpected with his heart, he got the hospital bill for THB 578,000 without all the test which still has to come. So I should say, decide your self.

Anyway, I looked into it... actually you can find most of the insurance companies by a search-engine and most of them have the information in English. They show the different packages and what's covered. I know it's not the most pleasand activity, but I think it's important enough. Eventually I choose Thai Health Insurance. Not the cheapest but also not the most expensive one. I pay for my package (in- and out patient) THB 16,000 per year (I'm 51 y/o). By the way, I contact them directly and took the policy online. I checked also with a broker and they charged me THB 22,000 per year. So direct contact saves me THB 6,000.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late question as I am just browsing this forum now.

May I ask what insurance company & what the limits are?

No problem. I took the above mentioned Thai Health Insurance, I am 64.

Thanks will take a look.

I am guess it was the simply Healthy plan?

May I ask if you have ever had to use it & did

all go well? Meaning they accepted it & the insurance paid?

Thanks

Edited by mania

I have been using axa for a few years and for 17,000 baht a year,covers me for 1 million baht.I am 60 yo now,very healthy but one never knows what the near future brings.I also save 10,000 baht a month,and have being doing this for 6 years now,so this hopefuly will cover me for a large bill,as i dont want to touch my stocks and shares/savings bonds

• Like 2

I have been using axa for a few years and for 17,000 baht a year,covers me for 1 million baht.I am 60 yo now,very healthy but one never knows what the near future brings.I also save 10,000 baht a month,and have being doing this for 6 years now,so this hopefully will cover me for a large bill,as i dont want to touch my stocks and shares/savings bonds

That is more or less the way I plan to go, to be honest I took the insurance so that if I am picked up somewhere the hospital wouldn't be reluctant to take care of me. I don't think you can expect too much for ฿10 000.- a year.

Axa gets expensive with time.