Police Check Trucks, Vans Heading Into Bangkok

webfact

Police check trucks, vans heading into Bangkok

Kwanhatai Malaikarn,

Anuparp Nakkham

The Nation

30194929-03_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Police manned checkpoints along all major roads leading to Bangkok yesterday ahead of a major anti-government rally scheduled for today.

The Pitak Siam group will kick off its rally at the Royal Plaza in the capital today.

"We have manned 53 checkpoints to search for weapons and drugs, and to deter any attempt by a third party to stir up violence," Provincial Police Region 4 commander Lt-General Kavi Supanan said yesterday.

He said Khon Kaen police set up checkpoints on Mitrapab Road and focused on vans, buses and trucks carrying multiple passengers.

"The drivers of such vehicles will have to register," Kavi said. He said the number of anti-government demonstra

tors from the upper Northeast should only be around 1,300.

Pol Lt-Colonel Rungsak Jongkonrat, a deputy superintendent at a local police station, insisted that police were not preventing people from joining the Pitak Siam-led protest.

"We are just conducting searches for illegal items," he said.

Buri Ram Police deputy chief Colonel Rawiwat Tiensuwan said the checkpoints were being manned strictly.

National Police commissioner General Adul Saengsingkaeo, who now heads the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order, believed the number of anti-government demonstrators in Bangkok would stand at around 50,000 and that the rally might be prolonged.

"We have received reports that the demonstrators have brought along clothes and raincoats," he said.

Adul said the Internal Security Act (ISA) had been invoked as a preventative measure.

"It's better than having to arrange a crackdown later on," he said.

The ISA is now in effect in three districts of Bangkok: Dusit, Pom Prab and Phra Nakhon.

A huge number of policemen have been deployed around the rally site. Provincial Police Region 4 alone has provided 2,500 policemen for the mission.

According to Adul, the Metropolitan Police Bureau will provide security to MPs who need to attend parliamentary sessions if the rally drags on.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 24

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

I drove bangkok kkc two weeks ago. There were 9 police checkpoints. I got stopped 3 times.

This is hardly earth shattering.

It isn't the business of the police to ask where you go.....

Edited by h90
  • Like 1

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

I drove bangkok kkc two weeks ago. There were 9 police checkpoints. I got stopped 3 times.

It isn't the business of the police to ask where you go.....

Whenever i get stopped this is an absolutely standard question. To get caught by this type of check us virtually impossible.

They won't catch anyone unless they are all in pad uniform. All very pathetic and distasteful.

• Like 1

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

When you drove two weeks ago, did you encounter many of your local Khon Kaen police in Bangkok?

A huge number of policemen have been deployed around the rally site. Provincial Police Region 4 alone has provided 2,500 policemen for the mission.

reg4.jpg

Region 4 - Khon Kaen

http://www.police4.go.th/p4/index.php

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

When you drove two weeks ago, did you encounter many of your local Khon Kaen police in Bangkok?

reg4.jpg

Region 4 - Khon Kaen

Don't think so. But there were loads of checks. Korat to saraburi at least 4, and shock, they were still there at 10pm.

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

reg4.jpg

Region 4 - Khon Kaen

my god, police at a declared rally site, what kind of government would do such a thing... better question, what kind of government wouldn't do such a thing?

• Like 1

reg4.jpg

Region 4 - Khon Kaen

my god, police at a declared rally site, what kind of government would do such a thing... better question, what kind of government wouldn't do such a thing?

Police from hundreds of kilometers away.

Having 30% of the entire national police force in one location at one time.

The local criminals in Khon Kaen and other affected provinces must love it.

• Like 1

from what I'm seeing on TV it looks like the police are blocking protesters from reaching the site and are already firing tear gas <deleted>

could be wrong but that's what it looks like

Looks maybe that way. Looks like they have ban throwing rubbish at the police. Police banging riot Shields. Police man asking the crowd to calm down. cameras exclusively on police line.

Older Thai man dancing in front if the crowd. Tear gas used but behind police line????

Not even 10am. Oh dear.

Bangkok Crisis - the Nation I believe, I'm watching it on Sophon Cable in Pattaya.

The logo in the top right corner says Spring

looks like a right mess

Thanks Smedly. I only have the mainstream on and usual sat AM not so good TV.

"We have received reports that the demonstrators have brought along clothes and raincoats," he said.

Holy Cow Batman - The end is nigh, demonstrators in clothes! Implement the ISA! Call out the army!; he's wearing trousers!!!..\

Raincoats? Its the 'dry' season now.... This is gonna be a loooong protestlaugh.png

Bangkok Crisis - the Nation I believe, I'm watching it on Sophon Cable in Pattaya.

looks like a right mess

Live streaming of Spring News is available online. It's not part of The Nation.:

http://www.thaitvonl...tv/spring-news/

Edited by Buchholz

looks like a right mess

Live streaming of Spring News is available online. It's not part of The Nation.:

http://www.thaitvonl...tv/spring-news/

Thanks for that. Cheers

reg4.jpg

Region 4 - Khon Kaen

Police from hundreds of kilometers away.

Having 30% of the entire national police force in one location at one time.

The local criminals in Khon Kaen and other affected provinces must love it.

Sure, they just got a free ticket to Bangkok.

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

reg4.jpg

Region 4 - Khon Kaen

Agreed. The actions of this government in crushing and scaring away the protesters before the protest even starts is exactly what the AV government should have done to the UDD - Yes??