Bang Bang!..struck By Lightning Twice At House

David006

Me reading book ..wife watching TV....

.CRAAAAAAK big FLASH sort of inside house....and ..BANG ..TV still works no smell of ozone..nadda

Wife cuddles..etc "very scare" !!

<deleted>....minute later......BANG Flash anudda one maybe 100 metres off in farm..still no smell of ozone no hair up zip..strange...must be all those candles she lights and food and baht she gives to the monks.

Same thing happened when on computer alone in the house a month or so back..... ..big flash and bang behind me...checked all electrics etc...nothing..real strange.

Checked all electrics..no GFIs kicked zip....velly strange..lol

Scotch time...lol

Disconcerting, isn't it, David?

Usually one has some warning of a thunderstorm, with rumbling in the distance getting steadily closer. I'd often wondered where it starts. A year or two back I found out. I was having a nice siesta after lunch when the most almighty bang came just outside my window.... that was where!

No smell of ozone??.......whats it smell like?....how often have you smelt ozone?

Ive smelt scotch time though....mmmm. Scotch time smells nice!

enjoy the scotch...lol

Sometimes you think you can smell lightning. Actually, what you smell is the ozone produced by lightning. (Ozone is three oxygen molecules - O3 - bound together. It breaks down into a molecule - O2 - plus an atom of free oxygen - O - that reacts with anything handy (including nerve endings in your nose.)

The electrical current and intense temperatures produced by a lightning stroke create a mini-chemical factory where ordinary oxygen (O2) and nitrogen (N2) molecules are chopped into atoms and then into ions.

Most of these atoms reform as ordinary oxygen and nitrogen, but a significant number form nitrous oxide compounds (NO, NO2, and NOx). In the 1983 Global Troposphere Experiment, aircraft sampled the air inside two cumulonimbus clouds and found that the levels of NO had risen 50-fold, from 20 to 1000 parts per trillion.

If this proves to be true of all thunderclouds, then lightning - especially cloud-to-cloud flashes closer to the stratosphere - could be a significant producer of chemicals that deplete the Earth's protective ozone layer.

bet ya wish ya never asked...biggrin.png

Ummmm In total, ozone makes up only 0.6 parts per million of the atmosphere.

The highest levels of ozone in the atmosphere are in the stratosphere, in a region also known as the ozone layer between about 10 km and 50 km above the surface (or between about 6 and 31 miles). However, even in this "layer" the ozone concentrations are only two to eight parts per million, so most of the oxygen there remains of the dioxygen type

Edited by MrRealDeal

• 2 weeks later...

My advice,buy a lighting conductor connect it with your house ,

With a thick iron cable

put it deep inside the garden, and make the protector longer and higher then the house itself!

Many farmer house , also in my home country burn up quickly every year, when the lighting is hit!

One time I read ,the risk to hit , by the lighting is much higher, then win in the lottery!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app