Window Film/tints

nokia

I bought a Toyota Corolla Altis G model in June, picked it up at the end of July. Ordered window tint 60% all around except the front wind screen at 40%, You cannot see in the windows from the outside.

In the states 3M is rated the best but supposedly in Thailand 3M does not keep out the heat. I don't remember the name of the tint they gave us but same as Lamina. Included in the price of the car. Lots of people think you cannot negotiate off the list price. For some reason they don't like the word discount. Ask them how much you can go down?

Barry

We got a new stereo head yesterday and the shop was doing films, too, so we replaced ours.

They didn't have any fancy 3M or Lamina stuff, only V-Cool. The car will be sold as early as next year so we went for the cheaper brands - Hi-Kool or something.

It's not as simple as 60% or less - there are three more numbers to grade the film by. Hi-Kool had 99% UV for every film. IR (heat block) varied from 17% to 87%, reflection also varied greatly.

We examined all the numbers thoroughly and made a good choice, I think. I'd never know because when we came back they installed film they had in stock, not the one we chose. It still suited us so we didn't make a fuss.

It's not dark at all, and it's not very reflective, just a good blend, and IR blocking is also satisfactory on paper. I'll get a report from my gf in a couple of days.

BTW, the sales guy also mentioned that 60% limit is not applicable anymore. Ok, he didn't really say that but when I mentioned "thamluat jup" he shook his head and laughed.

Anyone tried UFO? Which is the same quality of V-Kool too (at 17000B+) They offered only one shade, very light greenish shade. I am using it myself, works great, have it parked under the glaring sun for a couple & it is not as warm as my the other car which is using Hi-Kool (more then 60% tinting cost 3000B+). The car cools down faster too.

I tried Super Hi-Kool (less then 60% tinting & a grade higher then Hi-Kool.) Cost me about 7000B+. Definately works better then Hi-Kool.

Just my 2 baht worth. :o

Edited by Preceptor

The dark black tint used on some cars is cosmetic only, sure it looks good but infact being black it actualy heats up your interia, and night driving, forget it, it's best left for the likes of night rider and the A team.

• 6 months later...

Instead of a new topic decided to just add to this older one. The Honda dealer is throwing in tint film (3500 B from the 10,000 B discount they are giving me) and she mentioned it was Magnum. Any idea of the quality and efficacy of this brand? I may just see if they can put V-cool on and pay the difference since it seems to come highly rated. Thanks for any input on this.

Is there any way to identify film already done..

I have recently picked up a car that has dark tint.. But I think that the heat that builds up in the dark windows is a lot.. Plus its a black interior so AC is working over time.. But I dont want to redo it if its just the tropical heat..

Any seller of tints will immediately tell me its crap and needs to be replaced by his super duper brand of course..

What sensible person would put any kind of tinting on the front windscreen? This practice is banned in many countries because it is extremely dangerous.

Not me. But I do plan on putting clear UV/IR cutting film on the windshield and tinted at the top of the screen - the new Civic has a lot of glass there.

• 3 months later...
Anyone tried UFO? Which is the same quality of V-Kool too (at 17000B+) They offered only one shade, very light greenish shade. I am using it myself, works great, have it parked under the glaring sun for a couple & it is not as warm as my the other car which is using Hi-Kool (more then 60% tinting cost 3000B+). The car cools down faster too.

I tried Super Hi-Kool (less then 60% tinting & a grade higher then Hi-Kool.) Cost me about 7000B+. Definately works better then Hi-Kool.

Just my 2 baht worth. :o

Hi,

And do you think that Hi-cool is acceptable or it should be replaced immediately if I get a car with Hi-cool on it?

Thanks.

moonoi,

thanks for the info.

in one sense i suppose honda is giving it to me for free (10,000 baht discount, but subtract 3500 for the tinting), but i'm wondering if i should just wait and get it done at an outside shop. from what i've read, i should really focus on UV filtering and making sure that it is easier to see 'out' than it is to see 'in'.

btw, does anyone know of a good tinting shop in chiang mai?

honda uses lamina