New Car Or Not ?

tonika

My wife and I are intending buying a new car ( Honda City ), and we would like to take advantage of the Thai Governments rebate scheme for buying a car ( up to B 100,000 ). But my wife's friend told her that because she owned a 2nd hand pickup over 12 years ago, we would not be eligible for the rebate. I am a bit confused, as a neighbour says that the rebate applies to new cars only. Can anyone tell me who is correct, my wife's friend, or the neighbour ?.

The bigger problem: To get the car till end of December.

Or does they change this promotion from 'deliver till end 2012' to 'order till end 2012', already?

I did read somewhere, they are thinking about, but...!

That means: To make sure, you get the 7% VAT back, in 12 month, the dealer has to ensure the delivery of the car. But check also 'has to be registered in her name, too' or 'can be done later, b/c of no license plates'.

The bigger problem: To get the car till end of December.

Or does they change this promotion from 'deliver till end 2012' to 'order till end 2012', already?

I did read somewhere, they are thinking about, but...!

That means: To make sure, you get the 7% VAT back, in 12 month, the dealer has to ensure the delivery of the car. But check also 'has to be registered in her name, too' or 'can be done later, b/c of no license plates'.

Yes, it has been changed, the order has to be confirmed now (at leats that is what I have read).

No, you don't get the VAT back.

No, yes or no license plates has nothing to do with the registered name.

But anyway, since the OP's wife already previously owned a car, she is not eligible for this rebate anyway.

Edited by stevenl

But anyway, since the OP's wife already previously owned a car, she is not eligible for this rebate anyway.

Thanks for the input.

But how sure is the "she owned a sec. hand car and can't get a new one with this promotion"?

Wasn't it, that only 'NEW cars in someones name' count?

Because it is a promotion for people, never owned a new car?

That's what I got told about.

Actually, by someone with a older used Pick up, registered in his name, buying now one of the 'kick ass' Izuzu pick ups for 950k, like shown in central (I think it was)

But because I'm not involved in "Thai's buying new cars", it only hearsay, anyway.

Thanks for the input.

But how sure is the "she owned a sec. hand car and can't get a new one with this promotion"?

Actually, by someone with a older used Pick up, registered in his name, buying now one of the 'kick ass' Izuzu pick ups for 950k, like shown in central (I think it was)

But because I'm not involved in "Thai's buying new cars", it only hearsay, anyway.

No, it is only valid for a Thai who has never owned a car, any car, before.

Thanks for the input.

Surprising news, then, for the 'I have a brand new kick ass Izuzu pick up in flat black and will get money back in 12 month' lad, I mentioned.

But I wouldn't be surprised, if he 'owned' the old pickup, but never registered it in his name, maybe.

Or they find another way, to work that out.

For the OP: You have a kid? Mum can easily register a car in her kids name!

Edited by noob7

Thanks for the input.

Surprising news, then, for the 'I have a brand new kick ass Izuzu pick up in flat black and will get money back in 12 month' lad, I mentioned.

But I wouldn't be surprised, if he 'owned' the old pickup, but never registered it in his name, maybe.

If I recall correctly: valid for Thais of minimum 18 years old.

Thanks for the input.

If I recall correctly: valid for Thais of minimum 18 years old.

Oh come on! Next thing, they asking for ,is a driving license! For a car!!

If it comes to money, even the authorities making it difficult for their people, to get it?

Edited by noob7

So if the contact is signed in the showroom and cash payed or deposit paid before the 31st December you can claim the 100.000 back in a year ...is that correct?

up to max. 100k!

I did read, somewhere, it's the VAT, they refund. And the average amount will be around 60k.

But as I found out, today, I did only pass this issue.And not with much attention, methinks sad.png

Edited by noob7

I bought a new truck on finance in my name last April. Last week, I got an sms from the finance company referring me to the 'first time buyer' rebate scheme. Since I am not a Thai tax-paying person and the other car was bought in the wife's name a few years ago, we can't qualify. I mean I could try and claim a Thai government rebate that is intended to leverage the first-time Thai car buyer but I think it would be rude even to think about trying it. If anyone has a new car and it's in the wife's name AND a first-time purchase, knock yourself out. If it is your money that has paid for the wife's new car, maybe get her agreement that you can bank the rebate in your 'rainy day account'.

Sent from the Back 'o Bennachie with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

I bought a new truck on finance in my name last April. Last week, I got an sms from the finance company referring me to the 'first time buyer' rebate scheme. Since I am not a Thai tax-paying person and the other car was bought in the wife's name a few years ago, we can't qualify. I mean I could try and claim a Thai government rebate that is intended to leverage the first-time Thai car buyer but I think it would be rude even to think about trying it. If anyone has a new car and it's in the wife's name AND a first-time purchase, knock yourself out. If it is your money that has paid for the wife's new car, maybe get her agreement that you can bank the rebate in your 'rainy day account'.

Sent from the Back 'o Bennachie with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

So it is valid for trucks also then?

I read somewhere on here that it was just smaller cars?

Confused blink.png

So it is valid for trucks also then?

I read somewhere on here that it was just smaller cars?

Confused blink.png

Sedans up to 1500cc, Pickups no limitation on engine cc!

(The guy, now with the 'kick ass' flat black Isuzu told me that)

• Like 1

So if the contact is signed in the showroom and cash payed or deposit paid before the 31st December you can claim the 100.000 back in a year ...is that correct?

No. Different models of cars get different amounts of payback, up to a possible maximum of 100K. Ask your dealer about how much the model you want will attract.

We're getting an Almera and it qualifies for 84K payback. Furthermore, the money isn't paid back all in one go. It is paid over a five year period although I'm not sure if it is paid in equal quantities over 5 years or if it's up to 20K year on year (final year less than 20K as appropriate) until the balance is paid back.

No. Different models of cars get different amounts of payback, up to a possible maximum of 100K. Ask your dealer about how much the model you want will attract.

We're getting an Almera and it qualifies for 84K payback. Furthermore, the money isn't paid back all in one go. It is paid over a five year period although I'm not sure if it is paid in equal quantities over 5 years or if it's up to 20K year on year (final year less than 20K as appropriate) until the balance is paid back.

Who informed you it is paid back in installments? The dealer / tax office?

For the OP, it could be that the transport department does not have ownership records for a 12 y.o truck....at least that is what I have heard.