Thai Police Tried To Blame Boyfriend For Woman's Death

This story is totally disgusting.... Making news in Australia and the video is interesting.

Thai police tried to blame boyfriend for woman's death

A Sydney man was forced to wait for six days in Thailand after local police allegedly tried to blame him for a motorcycle accident that killed his girlfriend, despite CCTV video proving he was not to blame.

Ms Fitzsimons, who was part of Channel Nine's Footy Show team, died three hours after the accident.

But Mr Keith said the trauma continued when local authorities took him to a police station about six hours after the accident and asked him to sign a statement written in Thai that said the crash was his fault.

"I was vulnerable and they were obviously after one thing and one thing only, it was my money. It was a way to bribe my way out of it," he said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/11/27/17/27/thai-police-tried-to-blame-boyfriend-for-womans-death

Thailand's police force has so much bad rep yet no one in government seems to want to change it !

RIP Nicole.

If it wasn't for the Australian Government and then those in the Thai Government intervening in this, (The victim worked for a major Television Station in Aust) the poor guy would be rotting in a Thai prison. It was plain and simple an attempted extortion and a scam by the Thai police. Abosolutely no compassion for the family what so ever and just how much money can we get out of this guy. Thailand is getting a lot of bad press at the moment in Australia on numerous things such as this.

A tragedy made worse by corruption and greed.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

This is one thread that deserves to run and run until the authorities in Thailand get at the bottom of it and everyone involved in this sorry state are brought to justice.The accident is just that a fatal accident but what went on afterwards is there to be investigated.

Where did it happen?

• Like 1

The CCTV footage is very clear that they were in no way to blame for the incident. Asking him to sign a blank statement after thier extortion bid failed, to get his passport back is an absolute cheek also. I wonder what they typed on it. Also the cheek to ask him to sign a statement written only in Thai, that can't be legal. I say good on him for having the guts and balls to stand up to them.

• Like 1

I am speechless..How the good people in this country can tolerate such behaviour from the Police ?

Because it would not have happened if it were a Thai at the receiving end. They would not have been able to get away with it or at least had the nerve to try to get away with it.

• Like 1

Most likely one of their own driving the car.

THey got hit by another bike !

Did not see that stated in the article.

Watch the video, they were stationary waiting to turn right, giving way to an oncoming bike when another idiot on a bike tried to pass on thier right and hit them.

Most likely one of their own driving the car.

Watch the video, they were stationary waiting to turn right, giving way to an oncoming bike when another idiot on a bike tried to pass on thier right and hit them.

Ok...cannot often watch videos here, poor connection.

So then...the bike rider must have been someone of consequence.

This is one thread that deserves to run and run until the authorities in Thailand get at the bottom of it and everyone involved in this sorry state are brought to justice.The accident is just that a fatal accident but what went on afterwards is there to be investigated.

Where did it happen?

My thoughts exactly, clearly criminal activity by the Thai police and a charge of culpable driving against the offender. But the thais wrote it off as purely an unfortunate accident and no one at fault. Would be very interesting if the other rider was a farang.

It's clearly the other driver's fault but what I'm surprised about is that so many foreigners disregard safety when they in Thailand and not at home. If you know how the traffic is here then by gods use helmets. It might be speculation but she could had a fighting chance if she wore a helmet.

It's clearly the other driver's fault but what I'm surprised about is that so many foreigners disregard safety when they in Thailand and not at home. If you know how the traffic is here then by gods use helmets. It might be speculation but she could had a fighting chance if she wore a helmet.

That is quite true. The disgusting part part is the corruption and criminal activity of the police who tried in vain to stitch up a farang in the place of a thai and extort money out of him. A brave guy who stood up to the corruption. The poor girlfriend, rest her soul worked for a top rating sports show on one of the major networks in Australia, a network owned by extreemly powerful and influential business men. If it was just the girl next door I would hate to think what would have come of it. Would the media and the network of run with the story? The poor guy may very well be sitting in a Thai cell, just another farang who had fallen into the trap and never to be heard of.

A sad tragedy.

The driver from behind is clearly to blame for the accident and should take the full punishment.

But... there are some buts that make the couple at least partially responsible of their fate:

- the guy drove on the wrong side of his lane for performing a right turn (drove on the left and had then to cross his own lane plus the oncoming lane to perform the turn)

- no turn indicator (as far as I could see on the vid)

- no control look before turning (i.e. he didn't turn his head to look for trafic coming from behind - as far as I could see on the vid)

- no helmets

The above does not excuse the Thai driver who is fully responsible for the accident, but... the Aussie's bad driving mistakes are as much missed opportunities to avoid the accident and to mitigate its effects.

Passengers should insist on their own on wearing a helmet - but as I read somewhere else, helmets cause bad cases of "helmet hair", oh dear.

RIP Nicole Fitzsimons

The conduct of the Thai police, trying to make the foreigner bear the responsibility for the accident, is of course disgusting and I hope they get investigated, and the most senior guy involved sacked.

Edited by manarak

Although the other driver seems to have been driving to fast it also appears to me that the turn to the right was fairly sudden, he moved from the left side of the road to the right in the space of only a few metres and the bike behind would have been expecting to pass him on the right side with plenty of room to spare.

Did it mention anywhere if the Australian driver had a valid m/c license?

Just wondering because I often see foreigners having an accident on m/cs.

No license, no insurance, no helmet, drunk, t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops, first time ever driving a m/c.

They really are tempting fate and maximizing their injuries.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Although the other driver seems to have been driving to fast it also appears to me that the turn to the right was fairly sudden, he moved from the left side of the road to the right in the space of only a few metres and the bike behind would have been expecting to pass him on the right side with plenty of room to spare.

...And switching lanes like that is illegal. I see a lot of foreigners here behave like the locals thinking that's how you fit in but this tragic incident is the result of trying to fit in. The saying "When in Rome..." doesn't exactly mean that you have to behave in every aspect like the locals. The fact that most Thais are not instructed properly in driving is clearly evident and therefor their behavior in traffic should not be imitated yet a lot of foreigners drive on the wrong side of the street etc etc. Most people really need to do their research before commiting to something.

firstly rip for the young woman and family,

The Thai police NEED to be investigated and removed from thier post, publicly showen for what they are, senteced to jail for EXTORTION, is that not a crim in Thialand????? THE THAI GOVENMENT NEEDS TO DO THIS TO SAVE FACE!!!!!!! The Australian government needs to follow this up and make a very big issue from this and sending the message if the thai police and government want to do this to people then we should australia need to STOP any and all suport, trade, and call the thai ambassider to explian the police actions to the Australian people so this can not happen agian, Only if the police that did this do go too jail then that may send a message too the rest of the corrupt police,

note: I know there are a lot of thai good police out there, they need to stand up and not accept this to save thiery reputations!!!

I recall years ago in samui a Thai on a motor bike entered the road I was riding on and hit me. He was clearly at fault but he was not even questioned by samui police but the police did ask that I come to the police station after I got out of hospital. After my TG explained the samui police demands I was enraged. My TG said samui police were the most corrupt in Thailand. I gave up and paid 4000b. lesson well learned.

...And switching lanes like that is illegal. I see a lot of foreigners here behave like the locals thinking that's how you fit in but this tragic incident is the result of trying to fit in. The saying "When in Rome..." doesn't exactly mean that you have to behave in every aspect like the locals. The fact that most Thais are not instructed properly in driving is clearly evident and therefor their behavior in traffic should not be imitated yet a lot of foreigners drive on the wrong side of the street etc etc. Most people really need to do their research before commiting to something.

Switching lanes like what? You didn't watch the video did you, as it is a single lane. You will also notice if you look closely he is 1st on the left bottom corner and verges right to the middle dividing line to make his right turn into the hotel. He stops to let an oncoming bike pass and is hit whilst stationary. You will also notice that another bike passed him on the left probably because he had his right indicator on as he says in the video. I see nothing to indicate that he did anything wrong and I have been policing for years.

Edited by chooka

I watched the full video and read the article. Jamie Keith says; (“I was vulnerable and they were obviously after one thing and one thing only, it was my money. It was a way to bribe my way out of it"). But was it? That was only his opinion, but nowhere has he mentioned that the police actually asked him for money or how much money was involved.

Also the fact is that the couple were not wearing helmets, which is a negligent act and against the law, plus considering that the couple had been out during that night, it is possible that they had been drinking, as many of the pictures of them out dining in the video have an alcoholic drink on the table.

If you look carefully at the video, it appears that Jamie Keith did not indicate he was going to turn right and the other motorcyclist attempted to over take him, then suddenly Jamie Keith pulls sharply over to the right, hence the collision.

Another point is, that although the other party was also not wearing a helmet, there is no mention of the extent as to what injuries he sustained during the impact? Because I very much doubt that the guy actually got up and simply walked away from this.

These are only my observations and it appears that the couple were not entirely blameless regarding this tragic event and therefore unjustified in portraying the other party and the police as the complete wrong doers in this case, plus the allegations being made against the police here are unfounded without any evidence to back it up.

Extremely tragic and my heartfelt condolences go out to the girl’s finance and all others concerned.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Ok...cannot often watch videos here, poor connection.

So then...the bike rider must have been someone of consequence.

someone of consequence would have been in a car