Something Wrong With Internet?

petedk

Recently I seem to be getting many different kinds of error messages no matter which provider or computer I use. I talked to my friend and he has the same problem.

Sometimes when I click on links (even in Thai Visa, BBC News and several others) I get an error in the line of "DNS not found. Please check with your provider" or "sorry, you don't have permission to view this link"

When I click the second time or third time I can usually access the page. This is becoming quite irritating.

Anyone else noticed this?

What's the reason for it?

Yes, change the DNS setting to use Google's servers will solve the problem; a lot of Thai DNS servers are only interested in Thai web sites and report problems when trying to find overseas sites.

Looks complicated but easy to do https://developers.g...-dns/docs/using

Yes I realsie that but as I mentioned in my original posting I have received these errors on several computers ( about four) and it's only happened in the last few days.

Yes, change the DNS setting to use Google's servers will solve the problem; a lot of Thai DNS servers are only interested in Thai web sites and report problems when trying to find overseas sites.

Yes I realsie that but as I mentioned in my original posting I have received these errors on several computers ( about four) and it's only happened in the last few days.

It's possible all the computers you've used are using the DHCP from the router, which usually picks up the DNS from there as well. Which would result in using the same DNS servers, giving the same results. Which is something like that saying...... "do the same thing and expect a different result is.... "

Which ISPs are you having these problems with ?

Edited by RandomSand

I like to set the DNS servers in my router myself, and I go for one provided by my ISP, one provided by another Thai ISP and one of Google's own (my router allows for three DNS servers). Then I leave my PC using the router as DNS server.

This seems to be pretty reliable and a good compromise of speed and coverage. Currently there dont seem to be any issues with CAT anyway.

If my router was less good I would set the DNS servers directly in the Windows connection parameters, bypassing the router, and I would use my ISP plus one of Google or OpenDNS as the two servers.

Guess in ain't broken on True DOCSIS (cable internet). Having no such issues. But if they are giving out new internets, I'll sure take one.wink.png

after singing trues praises for a number of years i now have at least one outtage weekly and have had tech here on 3 occasions in the last 2 months to deal with erratic bandwidth and connection dropping issues.

Docsis 30/3 connection

In last couple of weeks I am getting FORBIDDEN you cannot view this

site,and its a site i have been looking at nearly everyday for couple of

years. its just a site about news of the sea, ...underwatertimes.com,

dont know if just my computer ?

regards Worgeordie

underwatertimes....nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean. Disgusting. You should be forbidden to watch. whistling.gif

FYI Opens for me fine (True docsis)

.edit to add... must say that recently some sites are slower, waiting for some component, eg Thaivisa sometimes waiting few seconds for gravatar.com.

Edited by ThaidDown

Guess in ain't broken on True DOCSIS (cable internet). Having no such issues. But if they are giving out new internets, I'll sure take one.wink.png

after singing trues praises for a number of years i now have at least one outtage weekly and have had tech here on 3 occasions in the last 2 months to deal with erratic bandwidth and connection dropping issues.

Docsis 30/3 connection

I'm at about 18 months with True DOCSIS in western Bangkok...was on their 20Mb/2Mb for about 16 months and been on their 14Mb/1.4Mb plan for about 2 months. Knock on wood but I've only had one problem about 6 months ago when still on the 20Mb/2Mb plan in that I could only upload at a speed of 1.3-1.6Mb. I called the problem into True they came out next day and narrowed the problem to a recent DOCSIS system upgrade that caused some of the True-provided Cisco routers to have this problem. The techs actually scratched their heads on my problem for several days in different techs coming out to test the local line with different routers (even put a router on the line to confirm my area/house could pull 100Mb/10Mb and it did). When the dust settled they said I was one of the first callers to report this particular problem with Cisco routers and they ended-up giving me a Thomson router and the problem went away. Heck, I even had uninterrupted service when I had a meter of water in my moobaan for around 3 weeks during last year's flood. And my 14Mb/1.4Mb service has worked just fine...in fact, I've noticed absolutely no speed difference in day-to-day internet use between the 20Mb and 14Mb plans...streaming video works fine....downloads are fast...fast browsing...two computers and one smartphone in my house usually using the connection....etc...and with the "bursting" that is apparently occurring on the DOCSIS system now, I pull faster speedtest results than when I was on the 20Mb plan before they implemented bursting on the system. Plus, instead of paying B1299/month for the 20Mb plan I only play B699/month for the 14Mb plan. So far, super reliable service....knock on wood.

underwatertimes....nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean. Disgusting. You should be forbidden to watch. whistling.gif

FYI Opens for me fine (True docsis)

.edit to add... must say that recently some sites are slower, waiting for some component, eg Thaivisa sometimes waiting few seconds for gravatar.com.

Opens for me fine also...I'm also on True DOCSIS (cable internet).

A few weeks ago I signed up for TrueOnline DOCSIS 15Mb/1.5Mb package. A few days ago I started having slowdowns reaching random sites that I frequentlly access, like www.anandtech.com and cnn.com. Often times the connection would time out, other times it would take two to three minutes to load. My backup system is to tether my iPhone 4 which is on a TrueMove-H 3G data plan. If I tethered to my iPhone, those web sites would pop up as quickly as they did in the past. Switch back to TrueOnline DOCSIS, and delay, delay, delay.

Reading over some older threads, I saw reference to using the True proxy for various reasons -- one of which was giving accurate speed tests overseas without local caching showing ping times in the double digits to USA and Europe.

So, I decided to enter proxy.trueinternet.co.th with port 8080 in my browser (Opera) settings, and those web sites pop up like the good old days. Remove the proxy setting, and delay, delay, delay.

What exactly does using the True proxy do?

I understand the basic concept of a proxy server, but if I'm using TrueOnline, why do I have to specify proxy.trueinternet.co.th? How is TrueOnline handling/routing my internet traffic if I don't specify True as the proxy?

In last couple of weeks I am getting FORBIDDEN you cannot view this

site,and its a site i have been looking at nearly everyday for couple of

years. its just a site about news of the sea, ...underwatertimes.com,

dont know if just my computer ?

regards Worgeordie

Try downloading CCleaner, running it to clean out all your old junk (cache, temp Internet files etc.) and see if that works. I don't know why, but it has worked for me when I've had similar problems in the past.

(Regarding my ramblings two posts above, I posted it in the wrong thread -- clicked in wrong browser tab and went to town on my keyboard. My apologies, and if users/mods feel it's inappropriate in this thread, please have a mod delete it -- and notify me -- and I will post it in the True thread I meant to.)

sorry.gif

Seems the site is having problems on the server end

Hi benejo , are you on TOT as well?, but as advised above

its ok with True,, dont know why anyone would want to block it,its just

about Fish and the Oceans, I clean everything out everyday with Ccleaner,

but still it does not work, ah well.

Regards Worgeordie

Which ISPs are you having these problems with ?

I am not sure which ISP's because as I mentioned I have used computers at several offices (companies) and I guess they may use different providers.

It happens randomly. I sometimes read a page on, for example, Thai Visa and press the back button only to get the "forbidden " message.

I haven't used the Internet much today so I can't give any other examples .

via TOT in office cannot access but error is from the web sites Apache server not TOT have tried Chrome,Firefox and IE error is:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. Apache/2.2.11 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.11 OpenSSL/0.9.7a mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at underwatertimes.com Port 80

Seems the site is having problems on the server end

Hi benejo , are you on TOT as well?, but as advised above

its ok with True,, dont know why anyone would want to block it,its just

about Fish and the Oceans, I clean everything out everyday with Ccleaner,

but still it does not work, ah well.

Regards Worgeordie

Yes, I have a TOT connection but look at the pic I posted. The forbidden is coming from the site, which means TOT allowed my connection to get through. The glitch is in accessing the site's data. (Apache is the web server software)

I'd recommend trying to connect via a VPN, do a search for free VPN providers if this is a new concept to you. If you get the same forbidden then you'll know it is not TOT's fault.

Edited by bendejo

A most common outage problem is the DNS server timing out, specially with True.

Use a public free DNS server as suggested before as one of the options for DNS Server.

Example DNS servers are -

True Cable: 203.144.207.49 and 203.144.207.29

TOT: 203.113.127.199 and 203.113.24.199

Inet: 202.44.202.2 and 202.44.202.3

Free DNS servers can be found here

So for example if using True internet cable, put the FREE dns server as the 1st entry (Primary), and True's as the 2nd (Secondary.

1st DNS server as: 208.67.222.222

2nd DNS server as: 203.144.207.49

• 2 weeks later...

Since the power outage I have a strange problem on my TOT adsl in Samui. When i want to access the mail server pop3.dd24.net (germany) i get not connected. A ping times out. Gmail can get the mail from the server and the provider reports no problem. Does TOT block this server? I switched off all firewalls in windows and router.

Can someone ping this for me and report?