Loy Krathong: Revellers Urged To Stay Off Booze

webfact

LOY KRATHONG

Revellers urged to stay off booze

SAOWANEE NIMPANPAYUNGWONG

THE NATION

30195173-01_big.jpg

People encouraged to attend events with their friends to ensure safety

BANGKOK: -- Revellers are being urged to abstain from alcohol while celebrating Loy Krathong tonight in a move to lower the risk of sexual attacks.

"Five years ago, an older friend of mine was sexually attacked and killed on Loy Krathong night," university student Supapan Pho-ong said yesterday. She was speaking as part of a campaign held by several agencies, including the Thai Health Promotion Foundation.

Songkran Pakchokdee, director of the Stopdrink Network, is also urging organisers of Loy Krathong festivities to avoid selling alcohol in their area so as to reduce the risk of crime.

Suthep Sodchuen, manager of an NGO working on children's causes, said revellers should protect themselves by staying away from booze and attending events in a group.

According to a recent survey, teenagers and young people choose to get drunk during Loy Krathong in order to attract members of the opposite sex and increase the opportunities for a sexual encounter.

Of the 1,042 respondents, aged between 15 and 25, participating in the survey, 61 per cent said they believed the consumption of alcohol was a key factor in sexual crimes.

"Statistics show 40 per cent of the respondents believe Loy Krathong offers the most opportunities for sex," Hataitip Chaiyarerk, an anti-drinking campaigner, said.

Valentine's Day was identified by just 28 per cent of the respondents in terms of sexual opportunities.

Meanwhile, the Metropolitan Police Bureau is currently taking several measures to provide safety for people and their properties during the festival.

"Policemen will be positioned at all bridges across the Chao Phraya River," the police spokesman Maj-General Adul Narongsak said yesterday. He also called on people to alert the police if they see any vendor selling alcohol to youth aged below 20.

"It's illegal," he warned.

He also called on people to be cautious about fireworks and ensure they do not harm anybody.

"Vendors who sell fireworks and firecrackers without permit will also face legal action," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 28

"Vendors who sell fireworks and firecrackers without permit will also face legal action," he said.

20 years in prison, or a 20 baht fine

"Statistics show 40 per cent of the respondents believe Loy Krathong offers the most opportunities for sex,"

. coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

""Statistics show 40 per cent of the respondents believe Loy Krathong offers the most opportunities for sex," Hataitip Chaiyarerk, an anti-drinking campaigner, said."

You gotta be kidding ... are people that stupid?

I'm afraid to say that many of them are. w00t.gif

• Like 2

Already kicking off in certain parts of Chiang Mai since Monday, people lobbing fireworks at eachother, falling around drunk and even heard of a couple of big punch ups 1 was about 100 people strong in Baanti! Hillbillies and Lao Kao don't mix. That being said still the best festival of the year in my book. Wonder how many of the punch ups will involve gangnam dancing..................

Another folk festival peculiar to Thailand. It has always been fun and in many years here I have not seen drunks touting for sex? Maybe I need to go to different venues other than lakes in parks and universities where the students all are having fun and well behaved. But Thai's love to party so who knows? Enjoy it all.

People get drunk to attract members of the opposite sex?

Who writes this crap?

The journalist's name is under the heading. She was just quoting an anti-drinks campaigner, which doesn't rule out the possibility that she was babbling nonsense in a drunken stupor. Or it could be an inaccurate translation. Take your pick.

"Valentine's Day was identified by just 28 per cent of the respondents in terms of sexual opportunities."

" Songkran Day was identified by just 1228 per cent of the respondents in terms of sexual opportunities".

Fortunately she's not going with her friends from school, she's spending the night with me. But I've seen my share of drunk students late at night on any weeknight at some universities!

But only because you seem to have more money. No money, no honey. wub.png

Who writes this crap?

The journalist's name is under the heading. She was just quoting an anti-drinks campaigner, which doesn't rule out the possibility that she was babbling nonsense in a drunken stupor. Or it could be an inaccurate translation. Take your pick.

yeah i should have been clearer, I meant the report wai.gif

"Valentine's Day was identified by just 28 per cent of the respondents in terms of sexual opportunities."

" Songkran Day was identified by just 1228 per cent of the respondents in terms of sexual opportunities".

These must be government figures.

Edited by bigbamboo

20 years in prison, or a 20 baht fine

"Statistics show 40 per cent of the respondents believe Loy Krathong offers the most opportunities for sex,"

. coffee1.gif

More opportunities then Sukamvit each and every day of the week ?

I think not......

• Like 1

I don't know where this journalist is celebrating Loy Krathong but for us it's always been a very chilled out affair, never noticed any drunks or rapists... Songkran? Yes, drunks, fights and multiple road accidents, see the carnage every year but never witnessed so much as a cross word during Loy Krathong; it's always been our favourite Thai festival. We always head to the same spot with the family, there's always a good crowd and I've never seen any trouble at all.

I'm sure that nasty perverted people do nasty perverted things all year round but the link to Loy Krathong the journalist is trying to establish seems tenuous at best. Some truly BS statistics about opportunities for sex and alcohol making you more attractive to the opposite sex...This article sucks balls in my humble opinion.

I agree 100 % smile.png

Fortunately she's not going with her friends from school, she's spending the night with me. But I've seen my share of drunk students late at night on any weeknight at some universities!

But only because you seem to have more money. No money, no honey. wub.png

Mai me tang, Mai die nam pung !

""Statistics show 40 per cent of the respondents believe Loy Krathong offers the most opportunities for sex," Hataitip Chaiyarerk, an anti-drinking campaigner, said."

They are quite fortunate then to have someone such as yourself with your superior mind living amongst them.tongue.png

Who writes this crap?

How about the possibility of an inaccurate interpretation?rolleyes.gif

TIT

Revellers are being urged to abstain from alcohol while celebrating Loy Krathong tonight in a move to lower the risk of sexual attacks.

I for one refuse this stupid advice and will not abstain in the hopes I will be sexually attacked.

• Like 2