Democrat Lawmakers Violated Charter In Grilling Of Yingluck: Pheu Thai

webfact

Democrat lawmakers 'violated charter' in grilling of Yingluck

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai Party yesterday lodged an impeachment complaint against six Democrat Party MPs, accusing them of committing constitutional offences during the censure debate.

Twenty Pheu Thai MPs led by Yasothon MP Peerapan Palusuk submitted to Senate Speaker Nikom Waiyaratpanit a list of 200 Pheu Thai MPs. The MPs seek impeachment proceedings against six Democrats: Phitsanulok MPs Nakhon Machim and Warong Detkitwikrom; Rayong MP Sathit Pitutecha; Bangkok MPs Ratchada Thanadirek and Wilat Chanpitak; and Phattalung MP Nipit Intarasombat.

The six Democrats are accused of violating Article 158 of the Constitution by alleging that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was corrupt and unusually rich - thereby allegedly breaking the law - while failing to seek an impeachment against the prime minister with the Senate as required by the Constitution.

Nikom said he would check the name list and forward the complaint to the National Anti-Corruption Commission by December 12.

Meanwhile, the Election Commission decided to set up a panel to look into a complaint filed by former senator Ruangkrai Leekitwattana alleging that Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva was effectively disqualified as an MP after Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat retroactively dismissed him as a military reservist for committing a serious disciplinary offence.

The panel will take 30 days to make its decision. If there are grounds to the complaint, it will seek a Constitution Court ruling on the matter.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 29

• Like 1

The rampant corruption will continue unabated but 6 Dems could be banned for exposing it?

I believe the complaint is that had these MPs actually had any sound evidence of corruption they would have sought an impeachment. It seems that they have made allegations of corruption but if they don't have the evidence to back these up they face impeachment themselves... at least that's my understanding of it.

What I don't understand is that given the defamation laws in Thailand, even if what they said is true and they have evidence to back it up, they could still be prosecuted successfully for defamation...

Do these politicians not realize how silly they look? Of course, the majority of the world could care less about what they're doing, and pay no attention to them whatsoever. But still, don't these people realize how their actions are perceived as utterly silly and, as such, incompetent, they appear to the world at large? Of course, they think they are important, but to the world at large, they rank very low, yet they haven't a clue about how they are perceived by the world at large. Driven by egos, they overestimate their importance. It's not only on the national level, but even on the local level. One very close friend of mine was paid $80 USD to vote for one local government candidate this week. They told me they were going to vote for that candidate anyhow, but since they were offered money, they took it. I would too! That persons neighbor, who is running for the opposition local government, is another corrupt individual who is in it for the money. When the second to the PM (don't know what this is called in Thailand, but akin to being a Vice President???) came to my neighborhood during the elections of 2011, this neighbor flat out told him, "How much will you pay me? I'll get you votes." I heard this myself, and was verified by my friend who was also on site. It's entertaining to watch as a foreigner, but also sadly tragic to witness. I wish, hope and pray that Thailand one day will actually have a government that truly represents the people, a government by the people, for the people, of the people. As it is now, well........

The sooner these law-makers stop trying to impeach each other and start trying to govern and improve the country and its political system the better...

The longer these Muppet's (both sides) keep playing childish play-ground tit-for-tat games like this the longer this wonderful country will suffer and the deeper is will spiral down the pit of oblivion!

Been thinking same. The only people wasting more time living in the problem than the politicians are the posters on here. If Abihist spent like 20 percent of the time he spends on his witch hunt crusade doing his job . . . . Thai politics cannot address any real issues or agendas because they spend so much time focusing on discrediting the other side.

• Like 2

Do these politicians not realize how silly they look? Of course, the majority of the world could care less about what they're doing, and pay no attention to them whatsoever. But still, don't these people realize how their actions are perceived as utterly silly and, as such, incompetent, they appear to the world at large? Of course, they think they are important, but to the world at large, they rank very low, yet they haven't a clue about how they are perceived by the world at large. Driven by egos, they overestimate their importance. It's not only on the national level, but even on the local level. One very close friend of mine was paid $80 USD to vote for one local government candidate this week. They told me they were going to vote for that candidate anyhow, but since they were offered money, they took it. I would too! That persons neighbor, who is running for the opposition local government, is another corrupt individual who is in it for the money. When the second to the PM (don't know what this is called in Thailand, but akin to being a Vice President???) came to my neighborhood during the elections of 2011, this neighbor flat out told him, "How much will you pay me? I'll get you votes." I heard this myself, and was verified by my friend who was also on site. It's entertaining to watch as a foreigner, but also sadly tragic to witness. I wish, hope and pray that Thailand one day will actually have a government that truly represents the people, a government by the people, for the people, of the people. As it is now, well........

Small town red neck issues. I know several judges, politicians and local business men recently got convicted in Kentucky for vote buying.

The sooner these law-makers stop trying to impeach each other and start trying to govern and improve the country and its political system the better...

The longer these Muppet's (both sides) keep playing childish play-ground tit-for-tat games like this the longer this wonderful country will suffer and the deeper is will spiral down the pit of oblivion!

Been thinking same. The only people wasting more time living in the problem than the politicians are the posters on here. If Abihist spent like 20 percent of the time he spends on his witch hunt crusade doing his job . . . . Thai politics cannot address any real issues or agendas because they spend so much time focusing on discrediting the other side.

but but but but the .............

Small town red neck issues. I know several judges, politicians and local business men recently got convicted in Kentucky for vote buying.

Aha, the Kentucky connection.

Bringing issues like this to the public's attention IS Abhisit's job.

Surely bringing substantiated allegations of corruption to the NACC is a part of Abhsit's job, public mud slinging just makes a mockery of the entire Government.

Let me think. Do we know anyone in Thailand who may have attended a school in Kentucky? If so maybe they caught the vote buying virus. I hear there is no cure for this.

Surely bringing substantiated allegations of corruption to the NACC is a part of Abhsit's job, public mud slinging just makes a mockery of the entire Government.

Like it needs the help anyway.

Let me think. Do we know anyone in Thailand who may have attended a school in Kentucky? If so maybe they caught the vote buying virus. I hear there is no cure for this.

See, it always comes back to farangs.

Lol

• Like 2

Yingluck and Chalerm make a mockery of the government daily without the help of anyone. Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

Yingluck and Chalerm make a mockery of the government daily without the help of anyone.

A functional Government needs a functional and constructive opposition and while I'm not going to pretend that they achieved this when they were waiting for their turn at the trough, Abhisit and company certainly haven't even tried. The focus is on one thing alone, discrediting the ruling party and regaining power.

It really is tit for tat, childish antics and IMHO is one of the biggest hurdles that Thai politics faces... when both sides act like infants when the rattle is taken away (one tends to cry to Mummy, the other to big Brother), how will we ever have anything but a parody of a playground scene rather than a functioning Government?

Accusing Abhisit of witch hunting is just ignorance. He is the one who has been subject to a witch hunt by the Defence Minister based on flimsy 'evidence'.

Certainly making accusations without evidence is not clever. However, this happened within a censure debate in Parliament. Accusations of this type are two a penny & making a song & dance about it only boosts the stature of the accusers.

• Like 1

Well, to a degree, under the law as it stands, you can't just go around and accuse them of criminal wrong doing, in public, and do nothing about it. If she's corrupt, presumably, someone should take a case to the senate or to the police.

This is all part and parcel of these idiots growing up to understand what you can and cannot do. I was privy to watch a court case once, and literally the accuser came up with in thai, "but that's not fair", having failed to produce one single piece of solid hard evidence of what he was accusing the other person of.

This is something similar. You can't just shoot your mouth off about someone, with ZERO proof. Which is pretty much a universal right anywhere in the world. You wouldn't call someone a murderer or a paedophile, or a thief or anything else criminal in a public environment anywhere in the world, with ZERO proof, and hope to get away with it.

This is where the media and the opposition have to up their game, and dig and dig and dig to actually find something tangible to accuse these people of something. There are a billion skeletons hanging in these people's closets, lest we forget one of them enabled his son to escape a murder charge and leave the country. Another has a mum who is extremely acquisitive of land she shouldn't really be buying.

Are you telling me, there isn't ONE whistle blower to open up these cans of worms anywhere in the country. People's silence has been bought, well un-buy it. It's one thing to trade in tittle tattle, it's completely another to trade in unrefutable facts and statements. This is called growing up as a society.

I can't wait, although I think it may take quite a long time.

• Like 2

Thailand should be happy with the Dems. It is the only reason this country is still operating fairly normal. Imagine how much PT would steal if they could easily wipe the opposition under the carpet.

Not many can beat the propaganda machine that is build by PT.

Well, they did an ok job, and actually, someone did a lot of work to check the rice mess. Much better than I though they would manage. But they still didn't come up with a knock out. Oh, well, onto round 2.......

• Like 1

Well, to a degree, under the law as it stands, you can't just go around and accuse them of criminal wrong doing, in public, and do nothing about it. If she's corrupt, presumably, someone should take a case to the senate or to the police.

This is all part and parcel of these idiots growing up to understand what you can and cannot do. I was privy to watch a court case once, and literally the accuser came up with in thai, "but that's not fair", having failed to produce one single piece of solid hard evidence of what he was accusing the other person of.

This is something similar. You can't just shoot your mouth off about someone, with ZERO proof. Which is pretty much a universal right anywhere in the world. You wouldn't call someone a murderer or a paedophile, or a thief or anything else criminal in a public environment anywhere in the world, with ZERO proof, and hope to get away with it.

This is where the media and the opposition have to up their game, and dig and dig and dig to actually find something tangible to accuse these people of something. There are a billion skeletons hanging in these people's closets, lest we forget one of them enabled his son to escape a murder charge and leave the country. Another has a mum who is extremely acquisitive of land she shouldn't really be buying.

Are you telling me, there isn't ONE whistle blower to open up these cans of worms anywhere in the country. People's silence has been bought, well un-buy it. It's one thing to trade in tittle tattle, it's completely another to trade in unrefutable facts and statements. This is called growing up as a society.

I can't wait, although I think it may take quite a long time.

Are we now at a stage that everybody is right or wrong until there is 100% proof? Are we not asking too much from a developing and corrupt country like Thailand. Do we need to give everybody the benefit of the doubt?

I agree with most what you are saying but often 1+1+1+1=4.

"This is where the media and the opposition have to up their game, and dig and dig and dig to actually find something tangible to accuse these people of something"

For example, don't you think that the opposition has presented enough proof to believe that PT is stealing a lot of money through the rice scheme? Of course they have not presented all the info they have, they will only reveal this to the NACC.

Edited by Nickymaster

Thailand should be happy with the Dems. It is the only reason this country is still operating fairly normal. Imagine how much PT would steal if they could easily wipe the opposition under the carpet.

Not many can beat the propaganda machine that is build by PT.

Well, they did an ok job, and actually, someone did a lot of work to check the rice mess. Much better than I though they would manage. But they still didn't come up with a knock out. Oh, well, onto round 2.......

It would not have been smart to take of their pants during the debate, ie, don't make the PT party too smart. I assume that they will reveal more info to the NACC.