First Gay Mosque To Open In Paris

Scott

I saw this on yahoo. This should stir things up a little:

Gay Mosque to Open in Paris

Ludovic Mohammed Zahed is braced for controversy, maybe even worse. A gay Muslim and an expert on the Koran, Zahed plans to open Europe's first gay-friendly mosque in Paris at the end of this month. He calls it a place of shelter as well as a place of worship.

"We need to have a safe space for people who do not feel comfortable and at ease in normal mosques," Zahed told ABC News.

http://news.yahoo.com/gay-mosque-open-paris-223459517--abc-news-topstories.html

I am neither gay or religious, so sorry if what I say offends you.

Well done to this man, I wish him and his congregation all the best.

How pleasing to read of such free thinkers.

Anyone who can poke organised religion in the eye with a sharp stick has my blessing, irrespective of whatever religion they follow.

Made my day, I salute you.

I think he's probably got a tough time ahead of him...

I liked this bit:

""The Unity" mosque will initially operate in a Buddhist temple in a neighborhood in eastern Paris, and will emphasize "accepting everyone as equally God's creation....I hope straight men will pray together with gay men and women, everyone," said Zahed who declines to make public the address of the venue, due to security concerns."

biggrin.png

It's not so much a gay mosque as a mosque which does not discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation. Good for him!

In between the wars, the towns on the North African coast, all Muslim, used to be paradise for gay men. This continued until at least the 70s. I've never visited that area.... the only gay Muslim I know is a Singaporean.

It's not so much a gay mosque as a mosque which does not discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation. Good for him!

In between the wars, the towns on the North African coast, all Muslim, used to be paradise for gay men. This continued until at least the 70s. I've never visited that area.... the only gay Muslim I know is a Singaporean.

The "paradise" continued for many years after the war, too. I remember a delightful holiday in Tangier in the early 60's!rolleyes.gif

I think it was the rise of the more militant, jihardist elements in modern Islam that caused everything to go sour.