Thai 1 Year Driving Licence In Uk

I would imagine people coming from countries with a reputation for poor driving skills such as India or Thailand will be faced with a hefty premium.

Quite possibly. But that is a lot different from your original, incorrect, statement:

You'll find the small print states the driver must have a full UK licence.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would imagine people coming from countries with a reputation for poor driving skills such as India or Thailand will be faced with a hefty premium.

Quite possibly. But that is a lot different from your original, incorrect, statement:

You'll find the small print states the driver must have a full UK licence.

I've yet to meet someone who has not been declined on a Thai licence.

Well my wife for one, I was living in the UK she came for a visit, I called my insurance company and asked that she be added to my insurance for a month, I had to do it for the rest of the year, I explained she was a visiting Thai national and that she held a Thai licence.

She was added to my insurance without any problem, and they didn't make a charge.

I would suggest that just because you haven't met anyone who hasn't been declined because they have a Thai licence doesn't actually prove anything.

• Like 1

My one year licence expires on 20th December, my parthers on 22nd. WHat does one have to take to the driving licence centre to extend to a 5 year licence. It would be nice to know in advance so I dont have to make multiple trips. Although I probably will have to do because it is almost impossible getting everything completed on a single trip in Thailand.

Well my wife for one, I was living in the UK she came for a visit, I called my insurance company and asked that she be added to my insurance for a month, I had to do it for the rest of the year, I explained she was a visiting Thai national and that she held a Thai licence.

She was added to my insurance without any problem, and they didn't make a charge.

I would suggest that just because you haven't met anyone who hasn't been declined because they have a Thai licence doesn't actually prove anything.

Point taken.

Can you mention the insurance company?

Point taken.

T.O.G. PLC UK inc.biggrin.png

• Like 1

Point taken.

Frizzells via CSMA, this was a few years ago, they may now have different requirements, I really don't know.

When I visit the UK, drive on my Thai licence.

If it's not a rude question why do you drive on your Thai licence in the UK? A British licence is valid up to age 70.

UK driving licences are renewable every ten years, but you have to have a UK address to renew, I don't, and my licence is over ten years old, so I use my Thai licence.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a reply from the DVLA to the simple question "Do you regard a 1-year Thai licence as a full licence?" and the reply is as follows :-

"As advised previously, as a resident, provided your full licence remains valid, you may drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you become resident.

Unfortunately, DVLA are not able to confirm whether the difference in a licence issued for one year, or five years means you meet the above criteria. This is a decision you need to make based on the information provided. (my underlining)

So I make the decision based on the information provided. Now is that information provided by DVLA or Thai Govt? Seeing as we are talking about driving in the UK then that must be the info given by the DVLA so, on the face of it, my wife would be able to drive in the UK for up to a year with a 1-year Thai licence.

My wife hasnt got her licence yet - we were waiting until just before we go to the UK to maximise the year's entitlement. Someone posted that a Thai 1-year licence has the notation "Type Temporary Car" is that in English on the licence and, if so, what exactly does it say?

Thanks

If it's not a rude question why do you drive on your Thai licence in the UK? A British licence is valid up to age 70.

UK driving licences are renewable every ten years, but you have to have a UK address to renew, I don't, and my licence is over ten years old, so I use my Thai licence.

uk driving licences are only valid for 3 years if your over 70 Edited by true blue

As an extension of this topic, it seems pretty clear from trawling through the gov.uk website that they expect you to have a UK address if you wish to renew your UK licence, although I could not find what proof is required. Mine expires on my 70th birthday and I am unlikely to receive the form they send to my address, which now has tenants living there. The assumption must be therefore that I will have to do the same as theoldgit and use my Thai licence on any future visits after that date.

But I wondered if anyone knows whether, were I to relocate permanently to the UK some time after I passed 70, I could simply reinstate my expired licence without having to take a test.

I have recently hired cars TWICE in the UK (Once from Alamo, once from Europcar) on a 1-year Thai licence.

On one occasion I was stopped by a policeman who wanted to see my driving licence, he didn't bat an eyelid, smiled and sent me on my way (British bobbies!).

So I wouldn't worry about your licence.

As a footnote, Iused the Thai because my green paper and my pink UK licence show different addresses and on neither occasion were they acceptable to the hire companies.

As an extension of this topic, it seems pretty clear from trawling through the gov.uk website that they expect you to have a UK address if you wish to renew your UK licence, although I could not find what proof is required. Mine expires on my 70th birthday and I am unlikely to receive the form they send to my address, which now has tenants living there. The assumption must be therefore that I will have to do the same as theoldgit and use my Thai licence on any future visits after that date.

But I wondered if anyone knows whether, were I to relocate permanently to the UK some time after I passed 70, I could simply reinstate my expired licence without having to take a test.

I did write to the DVLA last year about renewing my photocard from outside the UK, in confirming that I wasn't able to, they said that whilst the photocard had expired my eligibilty to drive remained intact, and should I return to the UK I could simply apply for another photocard without the need to take another test. I didn't ask about what would happen after I reached 70, but I beleive you don't take a test again at 70. I'm sorry but I deleted their email.

I did consider using a friends address to renew, they offerred, but in the end I decded against it.

• Like 1

I did write to the DVLA last year about renewing my photocard from outside the UK, in confirming that I wasn't able to, they said that whilst the photocard had expired my eligibilty to drive remained intact, and should I return to the UK I could simply apply for another photocard without the need to take another test. I didn't ask about what would happen after I reached 70, but I beleive you don't take a test again at 70. I'm sorry but I deleted their email.

I did consider using a friends address to renew, they offerred, but in the end I decded against it.

I've just been through this issue and I confirm that what OG has written is the case, even though the photocard has expired after ten years the license itself remains valid until age 70 (although it is illegal to drive on it), thereafter the driver must be retested. For those of us whose license/picture has/will expired it should be a simple matter in the future (assuming UK future residency is part of the plan) to update when back in the UK and make the license valid for a further X years.

Hi first post for me of this forum been browsing now for 3 years just thought I would try ad my bit from experience.

In order to drive legally in the UK on a Thai driving license you must have a Thai 5 year license with a thai international driving permit which comes in the form of a book this contains information on what you are entitled to drive and it is written in english. Photo included!

We wanted to make sure we did everything correct for my wife as she is still on her 2 year marriage visa and any problems with the law or motoring convictions could lead to the IRL not being excepted next year

Thanks

post-172219-13576649988353_thumb.jpg

post-172219-13576650110473_thumb.jpg

Whilst living in Thailand, I lost my wallet in a taxi (as you do) and it contained my GB driving licence, I contacted DVLA in Swansea and told them I was on holiday travelling in Thailand and I'd lost my licence. I can't remember if I paid a fee, but they sent a replacement to Thailand for me!

Edited by Hawkinschris

My wife hasnt got her licence yet - we were waiting until just before we go to the UK to maximise the year's entitlement. Someone posted that a Thai 1-year licence has the notation "Type Temporary Car" is that in English on the licence and, if so, what exactly does it say?

Thanks

I'd question anyone holding a Thai 1 year license being capable of safely driving in the UK.

Finally got a reply from the DVLA to the simple question "Do you regard a 1-year Thai licence as a full licence?" and the reply is as follows :-

"As advised previously, as a resident, provided your full licence remains valid, you may drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you become resident.

Unfortunately, DVLA are not able to confirm whether the difference in a licence issued for one year, or five years means you meet the above criteria. This is a decision you need to make based on the information provided. (my underlining)

So I make the decision based on the information provided. Now is that information provided by DVLA or Thai Govt? Seeing as we are talking about driving in the UK then that must be the info given by the DVLA so, on the face of it, my wife would be able to drive in the UK for up to a year with a 1-year Thai licence.

Thanks

thats disturbing to read you are going to put a new Thai driver on the roads of the UK. The test here falls way behind the UK test and she will not be upto driving in the UK, Its endangering her life and those in the UK. I sincerly hope its not valid for her to go out on the road in a car in the UK with such limited experience. Edited by marstons

Someone posted that a Thai 1-year licence has the notation "Type Temporary Car" is that in English on the licence and, if so, what exactly does it say?

Doesn't matter if it's in English or in Thai; if it says 'Temporary' then it is not a full licence and so not valid in the UK.

That's my view, based on 15 years experience in the diver training profession where I taught many foreign licence holders.

Of course, if you want to risk me being wrong that is your choice.

But what happens if she is in accident, even one that is not her fault?

Police check her licence and it's not valid. She's done for driving without a valid licence, which could mean a court appearance which could effect her ILR. Insurance company refuses to pay up, which lands you with a huge bill.

You say she hasn't even got the licence yet!

So you get her a 1 year licence just before leaving Thailand and then expect her to drive on her own in the UK without ever had a test of her competence, maybe even never had a proper lesson!

Crazy.

Thanks

thats disturbing to read you are going to put a new Thai driver on the roads of the UK. The test here falls way behind the UK test and she will not be upto driving in the UK, Its endangering her life and those in the UK. I sincerly hope its not valid for her to go out on the road in a car in the UK with such limited experience.

Thai drivers don't know the meaning of giving way. Hence the crazy situation at roundabouts. Imagine a novice Thai driver pulling out in front of traffic on a busy urban UK roundabout. There is also the matter of understanding road signs and stopping for pedestrians on crossings instead of the usual Thai style of ignoring them.

Thailand has one of the worst records in the world for death on roads. The driving test in the Kingdom is a joke and very few drivers fail the test as the usual 500 baht works wonders.

Once again 7x7 you are assuming knowledge about a situation where you do not know the full facts! My wife has actually driven for many years without incident so I am not putting a novice driver on UK roads.

It dam_n well does make a difference if the alleged words "Type Temporary Car" are in English or Thai. First of all if she had to produce her licence in the UK and the words are in Thai then almost certainly no one could understand it so there would not be an issue.

Secondly, if it is in English (I am currently trying to find someone here with a 1 year licence so I can see) then what does "Type Temporary Car" really mean. Is it a 100% correct translation? If you really analyse it as it is then the only contentious word is "Temporary" . This means limited by time and, in this respect, a 10 year UK licence is no different from the Thai licence as they are both "Temporary".

I dont make the rules and I have tried to find out about them. I sent 3 emails to DVLA who finally came back and said basically that I must decide. I therefore have evidence that I have gone the extra mile (no pun intended) to be aware and follow the rules. Now in that case do you really think an application for FLR/ILR would be refused? I think you are the one that must be crazy if that is what you think.

It dam_n well does make a difference if the alleged words "Type Temporary Car" are in English or Thai. First of all if she had to produce her licence in the UK and the words are in Thai then almost certainly no one could understand it so there would not be an issue.

Secondly, if it is in English (I am currently trying to find someone here with a 1 year licence so I can see) then what does "Type Temporary Car" really mean. Is it a 100% correct translation? If you really analyse it as it is then the only contentious word is "Temporary" . This means limited by time and, in this respect, a 10 year UK licence is no different from the Thai licence as they are both "Temporary".

I dont make the rules and I have tried to find out about them. I sent 3 emails to DVLA who finally came back and said basically that I must decide. I therefore have evidence that I have gone the extra mile (no pun intended) to be aware and follow the rules. Now in that case do you really think an application for FLR/ILR would be refused? I think you are the one that must be crazy if that is what you think.

It's more than 2 years since I converted my initial 1-year "Temporary" Licence to a 5-year one. As far as I recall, I'm 99% sure it was both in Thai and in English, as is my current one, but I'm sorry I can't recall the exact wording.

Whilst I would defer to 7x7 on UK driving topics, I think with respect that he may have overlooked an essential point about the 1-year Thai licence, which is that the only driving test that anyone takes, and has to pass before any licence is issued, has taken place before the issue of the 1-year licence. Whatever anyone may think of the standard of the driving test, or the ability to circumvent it, this is the only test anyone has to take to be let loose on the Thai roads. It does consist of reaction, peripheral vision and colour recognition tests, a computer-based exam on their highway code (which my missis had to take twice) and a practical driving test, so superficially at least it equates to the UK test, and someone holding a 1-year Thai licence has graduated beyond the status of a UK provisional licence-holder. I would say, therefore, that anyone prosecuted for driving in the UK on a 1-year licence would have a reasonable defence. I will leave others to speculate on what is the point of issuing a 1-year licence, but I agree with you that the only difference from the 5-year is the time limit.

If any foreign licence-holder is stopped by the police for an offence which would normally attract a fixed penalty notice, they can not be issued with one because the foreign licence cannot be endorsed with "Points", so they have to go to court. Even a sentence of a fine would set an ILR application back 2 years from the date of conviction - see page 32 of this document:-

http://www.ukba.home...pdf?view=Binary

Once again 7x7 you are assuming knowledge about a situation where you do not know the full facts! My wife has actually driven for many years without incident so I am not putting a novice driver on UK roads.

As you said "My wife hasnt got her licence yet - we were waiting until just before we go to the UK to maximise the year's entitlement" I made the logical assumption that she had not been driving.

If she has been driving for many years, why does she not have a licence?

If she is driving on a Thai licence and it does not have an English translation on it the police can easily have it translated when she produces her documents at a police station.

GB licences are not valid for just 10 years, they are valid until the age of 70 (unless one has to renew at more regular intervals due to some medical condition). It is the photocard which has to be renewed every 10 years.

Thank you, Eff1n2ret, for clarifying the position on Thai licences; but I am still unsure whether or not the word 'temporary' on the licence equates to a GB provisional licence or a full one.

The stock reply from the DVLA is, as usual with them, of no help at all. They are passing the buck.

I suppose at the end of the day it will be up to the police and, if the worst happens, the courts to decide on the validity of the licence.

But as you say, even if it is valid and she commits an offence which would normally attract penalty points, even if flashed by a speed camera, then driving on a foreign licence means a court appearance and if found guilty then it will have a serious effect on her ILR.

So she must obtain a full GB licence as soon as possible and not put it off.

The wording is in Thai and its says temporary...a 1 year Thai DL is not legally valid in the UK, granted will a normal BiB in the UK at a normal traffic stop know the difference ?....likely not, but this doesnt make it legal, if there is an accident and investigation and it comes out the license is not legal, someone maybe in for the high jump....

Also ask yourself this question, why Thai authorities will not issue a IDP on a 1 year Thai DL, but only on the 5 year...does this not suggest the 1 year variety is not intended to be used overseas ?

I'm with 7x7 and Soutpeel on this.Why has your wife not bothered to get a licence until now?

I've met many Thai drivers who have been driving for years and I wouldn't trust them in a banger racing stadium.

How many Thai drivers have the skill and ability to safely mix with the fast moving traffic that is normal around Heathrow and London?

If it's not a rude question why can't you drive?

On a separate note I've spoken to a police friend in the UK who has revealed that an expat who has held a UK licence can only drive on that and not use a foreign one. You have to renew the photo and use the address where you are staying.

One of the reasons this loophole was closed was banned drivers going abroad and obtaining a foreign license.

All UK police cars are connected via computer to the DVLA database which is how ANPR detects whether your car is taxed and insured and identifies banned drivers.

It appears you are returning to the UK for at least a year and not a holiday. You will have to inform the insurance company your wife has a new temporary licence which has just been issued. I can imagine the response.

As others have said it's going to be ok until you have an accident.

To all you guys that say a Thai 1 year driving licence is not a FULL licence - HOW DO YOU KNOW?

The DVLA cannot answer the question so I really cannot see how you know.

I think the real answer is that no one knows and it would probably take a court case before a decision on it was made.

Btw, a couple of other points :-

1. I got a number of insurance quotes on line with my wife as an additional driver.

2. I am not going to say why my wife hasnt got a Thai licence but many Thais do not bother getting one because the law is not enforced and if they are stopped then a few baht normally does the trick. Don't blame the drivers (why should they be the only ones in step!) blame a corrupt police force and a society that allows this nonsense. I see kids as young as 10 driving motorscooters while the police do nothing and pull over the farangs for no crash helmets.

Yes I can drive thanks and I will do most, if not all, of the driving. My current thinking is that probably this is more trouble than it is worth because :-

1. She would only be able to drive for 1 year after which she would have to take the UK test.

2. The insurance quote was more than double for just me.

3. I dont want my wife to be the first one taken to Court - although I think we would have a very robust defence.

Your wife may have been able to get away with driving illegally in Thailand, but the chances of her doing the same in the UK are minimal.

I have said that I am not sure if a Thai one year licence is valid in the UK or not; but, from my professional experience, suspect that it is not. Even the DVLA did not give you a definite answer!

Even if it is legal for her to use, if she has an accident or is caught by a speed camera or commits any offence which would normally attract penalty points were she driving with a UK licence, then she would have to go to court. This will have a detrimental affect on her ILR.

If it's not legal for her to use the consequences will be worse; even if she is involved in an accident which is not her fault.

Do the sensible thing; once she is in the UK

• Get her a GB (or NI if living there) provisional licence
  • book her some professional driving lessons with an ADI
  • when her instructor says she is ready, book her tests, theory and practical

You asked for advice; the above is mine. You may not like it, and may not follow it; that is up to you.

Good sound advice there from 7 by 7.

Do things the right way and you'll have peace of mind.

I appreciate your wife may have been driving for years but there is no way she will be prepared for driving properly. Lane discipline,abiding by road signs etc. The ability to give way is not something Thai drivers understand. And of course they save their lights by not using them at night and their wiper blades by not using them in rain. Her driving will immediately attract the attention of the traffic police.

The UK has a road death rate of 3 per 100,000 while Thailand scores 118.8

You can prepare her now with the Highway Code online.

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code

One more important point to emphasise is that any attempt to bribe a police officer is a very serious offence.

Edited by Jay Sata