Thai 1 Year Driving Licence In Uk

I've been trying to find out if a Thai 1 year driving licence is valid in the UK. Many websites say that you can drive for 12 months on a non-EU licence but must take a UK test after that. I am sure that you can do this with a Thai 5 year licence but the first licence a Thai gets is valid only for 1 year (and is then extended to 5 years). Can that 1 year one be used?

The DVLA website doesn't differentiate (or even mention) Thai 1 year and 5 year licences - just says that you can use it for 12 months - that also appears to be the advice from the Thai Consulate in Hull however another post on this forum said you couldnt use the 1 year licence.

Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Thai licence is renewable every three years; it covers 4 to 10-wheel trucks. Unlike 4-wheel licences, it does not contain a Thai ID or passport number and is only printed in Thai (has my photo, age, name and address as per 4-wheel licence). I presume this licence is still acceptable in UK for up to 12 months, at least for driving 4-wheeled vehicles there.

My Thai licence is renewable every three years; it covers 4 to 10-wheel trucks. Unlike 4-wheel licences, it does not contain a Thai ID or passport number and is only printed in Thai (has my photo, age, name and address as per 4-wheel licence). I presume this licence is still acceptable in UK for up to 12 months, at least for driving 4-wheeled vehicles there.

Now that is a way to get a job in the UK! smile.png get a Thai licence and work as a truck driver for a year and then come back and do it all again! Must be dead cheap to get "training" here! Hmm, idea for all who need 18,600 (maybe).

Edited by AngryParent

I sent an email to the DVLA about this and this is an extract of their reply :-

"As a visitor you may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, provided your full licence remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of entering Great Britain (GB).

As a resident, provided your full licence remains valid, you may drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you become resident."

So it's still not crystal clear to me but my reading of it is that if my wife was a visitor to the UK she could not drive on a 1 year Thai licence (because the licence would have less than 12 months validity when she entered the UK). However there does not seem to be any restriction if she is a resident in the UK (which she would be) so she can drive as long as the 1-year Thai licence is valid.

Any thoughts anyone? I can post the whole email from DVLA if anyone wants to see it.

Btw, I think a Thai 1-year licence is a FULL licence (not provisional) as there are no restrictions attached to it. It is just valid for 1 year and you AUTOMATICALLY get a 5 year one when you exchange it after 12 months. I don't know why they do it like that but that's the Thai way now. I explained this to the DVLA in my enquiry and their reply does not even mention 1-year Thai licences or 5 year ones for that matter.

Thanks.

Not accepted as not in Roman text i.e English

if you look at the top of the 1 year license it does say something about being provisional (green or purple strip).

A 5 year one has a purple strip with the words "Type Private Car"

Edited by beano2274

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the photo card UK Driving Licence expires after ten years and you cannot renew it without a UK address, though I was advised by the DLVA that I was still eligible to drive. Not sure if you could drive with an expired licence, I read in the press that people were liable for a fine when driving with an expired licence, and it might be difficult to rent a car with one.

A couple of years ago I rented a car from Avis or Hertz and when I presented my Thai driving licence the price of the rental automatically doubled, they did honour the price I was originally quoted online after I pushed the issue and gave them a copy of my reservation, by overriding the system.

if you look at the top of the 1 year license it does say something about being provisional (green or purple strip).

A 5 year one has a purple strip with the words "Type Private Car"

It says: "Type Temporary car"

Sophon

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the photo card UK Driving Licence expires after ten years and you cannot renew it without a UK address, though I was advised by the DLVA that I was still eligible to drive. Not sure if you could drive with an expired licence, I read in the press that people were liable for a fine when driving with an expired licence, and it might be difficult to rent a car with one.

A couple of years ago I rented a car from Avis or Hertz and when I presented my Thai driving licence the price of the rental automatically doubled, they did honour the price I was originally quoted online after I pushed the issue and gave them a copy of my reservation, by overriding the system.

Interesting, I've played around with which license to use when renting in the UK on holiday and typically the Thai license has come out with lower rates, but that's using EUrocar/Budget/Alamo. Certainly if you rent from none Heathrow based rental agencies it's cheaper, especially those in the West country, it's all a big game I reckon.

So it's still not crystal clear to me but my reading of it is that if my wife was a visitor to the UK she could not drive on a 1 year Thai licence (because the licence would have less than 12 months validity when she entered the UK). However there does not seem to be any restriction if she is a resident in the UK (which she would be) so she can drive as long as the 1-year Thai licence is valid.

Visitors can drive on their foriegn licence, provided it is a full licence and hasn't expired, for a maximum of 12 months per visit.

This period begins each time they enter the Uk.

Residents can drive on their foriegn licence, again provided it is a full licence and hasn't expired, for a maximum of 12 months from their first date of entry to the UK as a resident.

Even if the foriegn licence is still valid at the end of the 12 months they must stop driving if they have not passed a UK test; unless they have a UK provisional licence in which case they can drive subject to the usual rules for provisional licence holders.

As a 1 year Thai licence is not a full licence it cannot be used in the UK.

That a foriegn licenec may be in a different alphabet is irrelevent.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

i have a thai 5 year licence

my uk licence was lost (misplaced not banned) ages ago and has most likely expired if it was for 10 years.

i was going to order a replacement online but without knowing my driver number or having a permanant uk adress i cannot apply

i plan to go on holiday to the uk soon. if i apply for a replacement uk licence by post on my arrival it will most likely arrive at the temporary adress after i have come back to thailand.

so my question is can i drive in the uk on my thai licence. and what would the police say to a english person should they be stopped doing so

i have a thai 5 year licence

my uk licence was lost (misplaced not banned) ages ago and has most likely expired if it was for 10 years.

i was going to order a replacement online but without knowing my driver number or having a permanant uk adress i cannot apply

i plan to go on holiday to the uk soon. if i apply for a replacement uk licence by post on my arrival it will most likely arrive at the temporary adress after i have come back to thailand.

so my question is can i drive in the uk on my thai licence. and what would the police say to a english person should they be stopped doing so

You can legally drive in the UK on your Thai 5 year license, the problem arises where you have both a vaid Thai and a valid UK license and you choose to drive on your Thai license, that is a no no. Since you don't have a UK license you will be OK.

Btw, I think a Thai 1-year licence is a FULL licence (not provisional) as there are no restrictions attached to it. It is just valid for 1 year and you AUTOMATICALLY get a 5 year one when you exchange it after 12 months. I don't know why they do it like that but that's the Thai way now. I explained this to the DVLA in my enquiry and their reply does not even mention 1-year Thai licences or 5 year ones for that matter.

A Thai 1 year license is not a FULL license...its considered a provisional license...therefore you cannot drive on this in the UK.

This information comes directly from a relative of mine in the the UK who just happens to be a copper, now I suppose the only question is if you did drive in the UK on a 1 year license would the averge BiB in the UK know the difference between a 1 year and 5 yearon a routine stop, most likely not, suppose the validity of a 1 year would only come into question if there was an accident and the insurance company started investigating and if they picked up on this..all claims could be rejected.

Yes you can provided you dont have a UK license....the plods will say nothing, the 5 year variety is a full license, so what can they say ....your legal for 12 months...I have driven in various countries on a 5 year DL with no problem, even with the plods stopping me, however I did have a IDP based on my Thai DL as well...for thre sake of THB 500 odd...well worth getting one

• Like 1

You can certainly hire a car on a Thai license but trying to use it otherwise presents insurance problems.

If your Thai partner/wife wants to drive your vehicle you must inform the insurance company. You'll find the small print

states the driver must have a full UK licence.

It all well and dandy until the Thai driver has an accident and the insurance company refuse to pay out.

Without stating the obvious there is a big difference between Thai driving and that in Europe.

You can certainly hire a car on a Thai license but trying to use it otherwise presents insurance problems.

If your Thai partner/wife wants to drive your vehicle you must inform the insurance company. You'll find the small print

states the driver must have a full UK licence.

It all well and dandy until the Thai driver has an accident and the insurance company refuse to pay out.

Without stating the obvious there is a big difference between Thai driving and that in Europe.

An excellent point!

But not necessarily true. it depends on the insurance company. Not every insurance company insists on drivers having a UK licence.

Obvioulsy one should tell the insurance company that the vehicle will be driven by a foreign licence holder, and if they except that then the driver will be insured.

When I was an instructor I taught many foreign licence holders, for obvious reasons many of them Thai.

When driving my car on my insurance they did so using their UK provisional, but many of them also drove their own cars with their own insurance using their foreign licence; quite legally.

But not necessarily true. it depends on the insurance company. Not every insurance company insists on drivers having a UK licence.

Obvioulsy one should tell the insurance company that the vehicle will be driven by a foreign licence holder, and if they except that then the driver will be insured.

When I was an instructor I taught many foreign licence holders, for obvious reasons many of them Thai.

When driving my car on my insurance they did so using their UK provisional, but many of them also drove their own cars with their own insurance using their foreign licence; quite legally.

True in the past but not so now. I'm speaking as a current UK resident and can tell you that having changed insurers several time over the last decade they all now include the clause 'UK drivers licence'.

A driving instructor has a professional/ commercial insurance and provisional licence holders can drive under instruction.

The law is specific and only allows foreign licence holders to drive for one year on their licence. There is no such thing as an 'International' driving license. There is a translation/permit which allows foreign license holders to drive on their licenses to aid tourism/rent hire cars.

Being a resident is a whole new ball game.

If you are lucky enough to get an insurer to accept your spouse on insurance for the first 12 months on your policy it will cost. My attempt at Go Compare showed a quote triple my normal rate.

All the ones you tried, such as the low cost comparison sites. These keep their costs down by excluding those they consider to be high risk; such as foreign licence holders and new drivers.

It is possible to get insurance if driving on a foreign licence, but as you say, the premium may be high.

I do know the type of insurance I had when an instructor, thank you; but my pupils didn't use my insurance when driving their own cars, they used their own; whether they held a foreign licence or a UK one and whether I was in the car with them or not.

I also know the difference between a visitor and a resident; I explained it several posts ago!

You are correct about IDPs. They are effectively just a translation of the holders national licence and are not required in the UK. Although if, as with a Thai licence, the foreign licence is in a different alphabet having one may be useful if required to produce documents.

The important point about IDPs is that in the UK they do not allow one to drive, one must have a valid foreign licence as well.

NB. Although I have referred to a UK licence, there is actually no such thing. Depending on where you live you will either have a GB, NI, IoM or CI licence

Edited by 7by7

I've met quite a few people with Thai partners who have never noticed that clause in the insurance certificate.

UK police have the right to seize the vehicle and crush it if you drive without valid insurance.

In general the standard of Thai driving is so poor I would not want to meet one on Europeans roads unless they

have passed a proper test.

"As a visitor you may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, provided your full licence remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of entering Great Britain (GB).

As a resident, provided your full licence remains valid, you may drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you become resident."

Any thoughts anyone? I can post the whole email from DVLA if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks.

That's true. I don't see how a 1-year license is any different to a 5-year one except in terms of its validity. There is no such thing as a learners or provisional license in Thailand. The one year one is simply the first one you get.

Thanks.

That's true. I don't see how a 1-year license is any different to a 5-year one except in terms of its validity. There is no such thing as a learners or provisional license in Thailand. The one year one is simply the first one you get.

So why does it say "It says: "Type Temporary car" on a 1 year license and the 5 year one says "Type Private Car" ....there obviously is a difference

the intent of the 1 year one is a provisional license...

Further....go and try and get an IDP based on your 1 year Thai DL and see what they say.....they will only issue an IDP on a 5 year Thai DL...so why is that ?.....the 1 year and 5 year types are obviously different

Edited by Soutpeel

I've met quite a few people with Thai partners who have never noticed that clause in the insurance certificate.

What clause?

I'm with Direct Line and both the certificate and the actual policy say that anyone can drive my car providing they hold a valid driving licence for a motor car and are not breaking the conditions of that licence.

Neither the certificate nor the policy say anywhere that it must be a UK licence.

Thanks.

So why does it say "It says: "Type Temporary car" on a 1 year license and the 5 year one says "Type Private Car" ....there obviously is a difference

the intent of the 1 year one is a provisional license...

Further....go and try and get an IDP based on your 1 year Thai DL and see what they say.....they will only issue an IDP on a 5 year Thai DL...so why is that ?.....the 1 year and 5 year types are obviously different

Based on the replies here I have sent a follow-up email to the DVLA just asking specifically if they regard a Thai 1 year licence as a full licence. So far no reply - I'll post the response when I get it.

What clause?

I'm with Direct Line and both the certificate and the actual policy say that anyone can drive my car providing they hold a valid driving licence for a motor car and are not breaking the conditions of that licence.

Neither the certificate nor the policy say anywhere that it must be a UK licence.

If you try to fill out the application form for Direct Line you'll find they ask what type of UK/EU licence the additional driver holds. This question has the following rider....

Your licence must have been issued in the UK or a current EU country. If you do not hold a Licence from any of these countries, please call us for a quote.

It does not say that they will not insure you if you hold a foreign licence; it says call them for a quote.

I developed a medical condition a few years ago which meant I had to retire from teaching driving, and when I filled in the online form I had a similar response; call them for a quote. They still insured me.

Foreign licence holders can and do get insurance in the UK.

I would imagine people coming from countries with a reputation for poor driving skills such as India or Thailand will be faced with a hefty premium.

The fact you are asking about a 1 year Thai licence suggests your partner has only been legally driving for a short period.

New drivers are hit hard in the pocket by the UK insurance industry.