Reasons Not To Study A New Language

AbeSurd

There are many reasons not to learn Thai but not many for not using that part of your brain for doing something when you get old. But then Jim Fix wrote books on how running was healthy and he died of a heart attack.

The brain is the most powerful muscle in the body, I hope that if you keep it alive it will keep you alive. There is no reason for Steven Hawkin to be alive, he was forecast to be dead long ago, yet he keeps going without a body that works.

There are many reasons not to learn Thai but not many for not using that part of your brain for doing something when you get old. But then Jim Fix wrote books on how running was healthy and he died of a heart attack.

The brain is the most powerful muscle in the body, I hope that if you keep it alive it will keep you alive. There is no reason for Steven Hawkin to be alive, he was forecast to be dead long ago, yet he keeps going without a body that works.

Fixx's heart attack wasn't related to running, and the brain isn't a muscle. Other than that, what a fine post!

Fixx's heart attack wasn't related to running, and the brain isn't a muscle. Other than that, what a fine post!

Oh was it two xs?

A fit man dying often gives rise to irony, especially when it supports a couch potatoe's argument.

The reason that muscle is italicised is to show that the meaning is not literal, I probably should have italicised keep it alive it will keep you alive also.

Thank you for your comment.

Edited by tgeezer

The English language seems to make you think. I'm afraid if I learn Thai I wont think anymore, and just yammer on and on unknowingly.

"I knowed nuf - but not nuf to hurt me none"

"Intelligence is the one thing that is most fairly distributed. Everybody thinks they have enough."

But back to isawasnake: Would you like to elaborate how one language makes you think (and why would it be English and not ancient Greek), and another one not?

I find it hard to want to understand what they are saying. I see so many simple things like directions being discussed for 5 minutes... isn't it just "a right turn, then make a left on ratchada and it's on the right"? I mean, what on earth is going on there?

Sometimes they stop for directions and as you point out the conversation seems to go on for ages, only for them to say they don't know where it is after all is concluded. Probably asking if they have eaten yet or what province they come from. I have dismissed a price given in a shop and walked off, mrs says cannot do that you have to engage in a bit of banter so as not to hurt their poor feelings. Not speaking Thai does have the advantage of nobody being able to ask you for a loan, borrow your car or help them with something you would much rather not. As long as I can order food, drink and give directions, and even that is a bit of a struggle due to them no understand, then I don't care. I mean can you really expect to have a decent conversation with most Thai's even if you could? their lack of reason,logic and knowledge combined with the danger of saying the wrong thing leading to a loss of face just does not interest me suffering trying to learn-and the mrs is a Thai language teacher! The one thing I would say is worth a go at is learning to read, so at least you will know what basic signs say, or menues, you can always point.

Edited by sms747
  • Like 1

I find it hard to want to understand what they are saying. I see so many simple things like directions being discussed for 5 minutes... isn't it just "a right turn, then make a left on ratchada and it's on the right"? I mean, what on earth is going on there?

Sometimes they stop for directions and as you point out the conversation seems to go on for ages, only for them to say they don't know where it is after all is concluded. Probably asking if they have eaten yet or what province they come from. I have dismissed a price given in a shop and walked off, mrs says cannot do that you have to engage in a bit of banter so as not to hurt their poor feelings. Not speaking Thai does have the advantage of nobody being able to ask you for a loan, borrow your car or help them with something you would much rather not. As long as I can order food, drink and give directions, and even that is a bit of a struggle due to them no understand, then I don't care. I mean can you really expect to have a decent conversation with most Thai's even if you could? their lack of reason,logic and knowledge combined with the danger of saying the wrong thing leading to a loss of face just does not interest me suffering trying to learn-and the mrs is a Thai language teacher! The one thing I would say is worth a go at is learning to read, so at least you will know what basic signs say, or menues, you can always point.

You are saying that ignorance is bliss, right? Enjoy your cocoon.

Why are you living in Thailand if you don't want to learn the language or the culture, I wonder.

• Like 1

That is really good info about the way interactions get lengthened here. I am so no nonsense, and I never understood it, but after you said that it makes a ton of sense. In short, they feel they have to BS for a couple of minutes not to be rude. I totally disagree with that (esp in this heat), but it is their decision, ha. I personally like pointing and grunting. It seems to work and it bring me back to my more "animalistic" roots.

You are saying that ignorance is bliss, right? Enjoy your cocoon.

Why are you living in Thailand if you don't want to learn the language or the culture, I wonder.

Well, he seems to understand a great deal about the culture, and handles his various everyday interactions based on this knowledge, as we all do. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Edited by isawasnake

I'll add one more nuance to the list. I believe there is a point, in any language that you learn, where you are worse off than not speaking any at all. It is actually quite far along too. When you can start to speak and barely make your way into conversations.

You see, when you first start you are kind of cute, like a little baby fumbling with something new. as you progress you get more of a handle and the easy things become easier. When you reach my "this is where the language starts working against you" point is when you are in conversations, and constantly holding them up, searching for words, saying idiotic things, and just being an overall pain to others (after a while). It is especially apparent to when you try to pick up on girls in this stage: you'd have much more luck before and after. I believe this to be true, and yes I have learned one language.

• Like 1

I actually think this is a great topic. The reason is, some people are under the very false impression that there are things in life with only positives. Not true. Dating Scarlet Johansen - there will be negatives. Win the lottery - there will be negatives. Learn a new language - there will be negatives. I find it kinda interesting to discuss the negatives in situations where none are generally perceived.

Edited by isawasnake

I think the biggest problems with Foreigners learning Thai is that you are usually told to learn the alphabet first. This is quite a long process but will improve your pronounciation. The only problem its a long process and you end up getting frustrated. I guess it depends on what level you want your Thai to reach.

My friend has lived here 6 years and learnt by listening and various girlfriends. His Thai was good and he never had any problem being understood. He has been with a girl for the last year who speaks no English. Since living with her he says his Thai has come on leaps and bounds. He learnt words and phrases outside everyday living, a vocabulary. He cant read or write but i would be happy to be at his level.

Another problem is practice! Even when you have many Thai friends you find that they would prefer to speak English so invariably you only end up speaking Thai with Street vendors or Taxi drivers which doesnt help you expand your vocabulary as they cant tell you what a word means.

Back to the books i guess!

I actually think this is a great topic.

Thanks. As OP I guess I can take a bit of the credit wai2.gif

So I thought it was time I posted an update as I know many of you have been very worried about the state of my health biggrin.png

The news is I'm continuing with the lessons. Fewer lessons and a lot more revision is helping with the brain fatigue.

Incidentally last week I went along to see a neurologist here in Thailand and he wasn't any more impressed with my symptoms than some of you.

I warned him I'd put" I told you I was ill" on the headstone of my grave like Spike Milligan. He said he hadn't heard of Sa-pi-kerr Mee-lee-gan w00t.gif

Guys in their 60's torturing themselves to try and learn seems a waste of time. I gave up as never will get the hang of tones and I always found Thai's do not as a whole try to understand you or appreciate trying to speak Thai. Sometimes the mrs insists on the bus that I try to get the conductor to understand me-she says I sound fine but the conductor always looks at her for confirmation as if they do not believe me. Had to repeat the destination 3 times a couple of weeks ago which resulted in a row when the Thai bloke in front turned around and berated me for not speaking clearly. Another time I could not get a conductor to understand Sukhumvit soi hok and had to hold up 6 fingers, and this after learning on and off since 1994, why bother?

I tend to agree with you, but my main reason other than my age (62) not learning Thai is that in my village it would not be of as much use as perhaps other places. In our village they mainly speak Cambodian, the next village they speak Lao. Now learning one new languague would be difficult but three!! I do however try and do a little bit of Thai but it would take me another 20 years to get profficient. Not sure I have that long.

I think the biggest problems with Foreigners learning Thai is that you are usually told to learn the alphabet first. This is quite a long process but will improve your pronounciation. The only problem its a long process and you end up getting frustrated. I guess it depends on what level you want your Thai to reach.

My friend has lived here 6 years and learnt by listening and various girlfriends. His Thai was good and he never had any problem being understood. He has been with a girl for the last year who speaks no English. Since living with her he says his Thai has come on leaps and bounds. He learnt words and phrases outside everyday living, a vocabulary. He cant read or write but i would be happy to be at his level.

Another problem is practice! Even when you have many Thai friends you find that they would prefer to speak English so invariably you only end up speaking Thai with Street vendors or Taxi drivers which doesnt help you expand your vocabulary as they cant tell you what a word means.

Back to the books i guess!

Yes, I know many foreigners who can speak but not read Thai. I believe it depends on the person, I know several people who couldn't learn a language without learning to read.

But even if you can speak it, without reading abilities you are still an illiterate, an an-alphabet. Would you be content with that? School children (maybe your own) would have to read road signs or letters to you.