Dealing With The Critters

jcb2001

Life in Issan is full of surprises. I can tolerate many things here for the enjoyment of the quiet and tranquil lifestyle of country living. But, I having a lot of trouble dealing with ants, centipedes, and scorpions. I have been stung by scorpions twice. Believe me, I never want to go through that pain again.

Does anybody have any solutions for erradicating these pests. How do the rest of us cope with them?

Erradicate. Naturally...

I'd be more curious to understand where such a mindset derives.

You don't have to like it, but be especially to the insect [and related] world.

Far more beneficial [and connected] to the systems than our species.

I believe you're looking upon the wrong lifeform for extermination.

• Like 2

Life in Issan is full of surprises. I can tolerate many things here for the enjoyment of the quiet and tranquil lifestyle of country living. But, I having a lot of trouble dealing with ants, centipedes, and scorpions. I have been stung by scorpions twice. Believe me, I never want to go through that pain again.

Does anybody have any solutions for erradicating these pests. How do the rest of us cope with them?

I live right next to the fields in Isaan, never had a problem so far apart from the fire ants and some caterpillar that sheds it hairs and I have a particularly bad reaction to.

My advice, precautions.. what were the circumstances that you got stung by scorpions ? I will bet it could have been avoided with precautions.

totster :)

Scorpions are no way worse than a Centipede bite!

Dont listen to the "tree huggers" and just help the to paradise with a size9!

I heard chickens around your house deal to scorpions quicksmart, but chickens might attract snakes, so it's a double edged sword.

We found a centipede in our room last night while we were watching a movie, bloody terrifying as it's the first time I've seen one here (Although have heard loads of stories). Made me a bit hesitant to sleep, or walk around at night without the light on, knowing that a centipede had just been crawling around within a meter of my computer, where I walk and where I sleep (even though we'd killed it, as where there's one you see, there's 10 you don't).

• Like 1

I live right next to the fields in Isaan, never had a problem so far apart from the fire ants and some caterpillar that sheds it hairs and I have a particularly bad reaction to.

My advice, precautions.. what were the circumstances that you got stung by scorpions ? I will bet it could have been avoided with precautions.

totster smile.png

The first time I was stung by a scorpion was my fault. It was hiding in my shoe and got me when I was trying to put it on. It was the worst pain I have ever experienced. Like getting hit from 220 volts. After an hour, I was feeling numbness all the way up to my groin. I ended up in the emergency room for pain relief. The second time, I got up in the middle of the night in the dark and stepped on one.

I have always tried to keep my grass short around our home to keep these critters away. We pay special attention to keeping the inside of our home clear of anything that might harbour these pest.

I tried to look for spray or powder that can keep these at bay. Oh, my Thai wife says a centepede bite is is much worst than a scorpion. I also found a centepede crossing my foot one night at the computer desk. Luckly, the centepede didn't bite. I just wish there was some way not to have to face them in my home.

Erradicate. Naturally...

I bet you have never seen a scorpion or centepede. Do you even live in Thailand?

I've never been bitten, but always wear leather boots and gloves when working outside.

As for the house several years ago when I was in the US I brought back a case of insect foggers. It's a small arosol can, you close all the windows and doors, unplug anything electrical ( I just trip the main breaker) open a couple of the foggers up and let them spray and clear the hell out.

After fogging let the house sit for at least 2 hours and then you can run in and open the doors and windows, turn on some fans and wait outside for 1/2 hour while the place airs out.

The first time I did it I was dumbfounded by what I found dead and dying, the comment of seeing one and not seeing 10 is probably not far off.

Untill my supply runs out I'll do this twice a year. I've looked for them here and haven't found them yet

Edited by kwonitoy
  • Like 1

I've never been bitten, but always wear leather boots and gloves when working outside.

As for the house several years ago when I was in the US I brought back a case of insect foggers. It's a small arosol can, you close all the windows and doors, unplug anything electrical ( I just trip the main breaker) open a couple of the foggers up and let them spray and clear the hell out.

After fogging let the house sit for at least 2 hours and then you can run in and open the doors and windows, turn on some fans and wait outside for 1/2 hour while the place airs out.

The first time I did it I was dumbfounded by what I found dead and dying, the comment of seeing one and not seeing 10 is probably not far off.

Untill my supply runs out I'll do this twice a year. I've looked for them here and haven't found them yet

Great idea! Never thought about those bug bombs. Seen them in the states, but not here. Maybe I'll do the same.

Erradicate. Naturally...

I bet you have never seen a scorpion or centepede. Do you even live in Thailand?

Heh...naturally.

The expected response.

I've seen so many scorpions, snakes, centipedes and other animals. The worst kind seems to be the human centipedes, living here. originally from other countries. w00t.gif

I guess we all have our reasons for living here. Guess you just have to weigh the benefits.

Scorpions DON'T bite. They sting you with the prong on their tail. Centipedes bite. According to my wife, the centipede bite is more painful than a scorpion sting and the little brown scorpions hurt much worse that the big black ones. She compares the big black scorpion sting to a wasp sting.

To eliminate either, just make sure you don't harm the took kaes that are normally around your house. They love to eat centipedes. I'm concerned right now about my took kaes. The local feral cats are killing them.

Scorpions DON'T bite. They sting you with the prong on their tail. Centipedes bite. According to my wife, the centipede bite is more painful than a scorpion sting and the little brown scorpions hurt much worse that the big black ones. She compares the big black scorpion sting to a wasp sting.

To eliminate either, just make sure you don't harm the took kaes that are normally around your house. They love to eat centipedes. I'm concerned right now about my took kaes. The local feral cats are killing them.

Guess you need such a dog. Will scare the shit out of them cats.....w00t.gif

post-108180-0-32127500-1354528832_thumb.

Have only ever seen scorpions and centipedes at ground level. Anyone know whether they can/do climb stairs or walls? (we live 5 feet in the air courtesy of a mrs with grandiose ideasgiggle.gif , but it is great for the through drafts).

On second thoughts don't tell me - I'd rather live in blissful ignorance

• Like 1

In Oz they sell an electric plug in thing, that allegedly sends out a high pitched noise that drives the crawling bugs away. Never tried it so don't know if they work or not.

Steve, think that's why people build stilt homes, cooler and harder for the creepy crawly things to get up. We farang are smarter and build on the ground. Jim

Centipedes are creatures of warm damp environments. If your home is relatively dry, the chances of coming across one are reduced. It is recommended to turn on the light in the bathroom and wait for a few seconds at night. (Works for cockroaches too. I forgot to do that one night and there was a massive monster perched on the toilet bowl. I screamed like a girl.) If foraging under the sink, bright light is a good defense.

Toads, birds, some snakes and some rodents will eat centipedes. Thailand used to have tree shrews. They were voracious consumers of insects.

Pesticides leave residues that can harm the predators of the insects. As well, they can poison ground water and impact pets and children. I have used some strong chemicals to deal with termites, but I didn't have well water, or kids. The insects usually adapt to the pesticide after some time, so it is best used when the infestation is identified and visible, rather than the usual dousing approach.

The problem with chickens is that their droppings can facilitate the spread of avian born illnesses particularly respiratory ilness. Chickens should be raised in an area away from humans, or at least in an area where their excrement is not tracked into the home or has the potential to be vaporized.

Have only ever seen scorpions and centipedes at ground level. Anyone know whether they can/do climb stairs or walls? (we live 5 feet in the air courtesy of a mrs with grandiose ideasgiggle.gif , but it is great for the through drafts).

A friend of mine was stung on the finger by a little brown scorpion. He was standing and rested his hand on top of a door. The little creature was sitting on the top of the door.

The one I never want another run-in with is a Rove Beetle. I determined that's what happened to me much later after the incident -- had never heard of the critters.

I spent weeks recovering from the equivalent of 3rd degree burns. Mine were really severe, several inches in diameter on several places on my foot and leg. I must have gotten one / some of them in my "Plastic / fake Wellies" while I was cutting the lawn. Probably squashed one .. or more.

Apparently they like to live in grass.

http://www.environme...rovebeetles.htm

Edited by klikster

A friend of mine was stung on the finger by a little brown scorpion. He was standing and rested his hand on top of a door. The little creature was sitting on the top of the door.

Is it still sitting there?laugh.png