Home Made School...

I'll let my wife worry about the tax and license etc.

Have mentioned it to her but she doesn't want to register as then you have to comply with too many regulations.

As for tax ?? It's her choice and she seems to know how business works in this area.

Maybe this is starting to go into a different topic !

The kids love coming here, the parents seem happy to have their kids here and I'm keeping a low profile smile.png

That's why schools that conform to these regulations and organizations that represent them (PSA) are very angry with schools that ignore the regulations but compete directly with them. The regulations create extra work and a higher operating overhead. It's unfair competition. There are also valid reasons for these regulations such as safety, insurance, health, employee protection, work permits etc.

Yes ?

@Loaded..

I understand your comments about unfair competition but such is life, happens everywhere..

As for health and safety, I can assure you that we are at a significantly higher level on this than most Thai organizations. Employee protection, my wife can look after herself and I wouldn't dream of working without a permit smile.png

But your point is valid and duly noted.

You are correct that unfair competition happens everywhere. However, if you are taking customers from another school that is licensed, you have made an enemy. You may even upset a jealous neighbour who doen't want to see you earning extra money. It is not difficult for them to report your activities to the departments of Labour and Revenue. If you have been working there, your work permit from another school won't protect you. In this situation, you are very vulnerable - such is life.

I don't have a work permit from another school ! I have never worked in a school..

Neither do I have a degree in anything... Guess I'm not qualified to help kids pronounce some basic words ?

But do you know where I live ?

@Loaded..

I understand your comments about unfair competition but such is life, happens everywhere..

As for health and safety, I can assure you that we are at a significantly higher level on this than most Thai organizations. Employee protection, my wife can look after herself and I wouldn't dream of working without a permit smile.png

But your point is valid and duly noted.

You are correct that unfair competition happens everywhere. However, if you are taking customers from another school that is licensed, you have made an enemy. You may even upset a jealous neighbour who doen't want to see you earning extra money. It is not difficult for them to report your activities to the departments of Labour and Revenue. If you have been working there, your work permit from another school won't protect you. In this situation, you are very vulnerable - such is life.

I don't have a work permit from another school ! I have never worked in a school..

Neither do I have a degree in anything... Guess I'm not qualified to help kids pronounce some basic words ?

But do you know where I live ?

I don't know if you are qualified, or not. I don't really care either. I don't know where you live, and I don't care either. However, you started a thread about running a 'school' that is unlicensed and not registered for tax. You've stated your wife's intention is to continue like this. You've implied you 'help' in the school. I've pointed out you may get into trouble if caught. Good luck.

Edited by Loaded

I can summarize the regulations:

1. The building has a fire exit. If you are on the ground floor thats pretty easy.

2. the building is structurally sound.

3. The Thai owner of the school has a degree (they just added that about 8 years ago) and the head teacher is qualifid to teach in that subject.

4. You have a curriculum.

Its not really that big of a deal (one way or the other).

That's a pretty good summary of the main requirements. Number 2 requires an engineer's report which can be difficult to obtain if the building is old. The whole process can be long and drawn out. It can take 12 - 18 months for the license to come through.

1. The building has a fire exit. If you are on the ground floor thats pretty easy.

3. The Thai owner of the school has a degree (they just added that about 8 years ago) and the head teacher is qualifid to teach in that subject.

I need to print this out and frame it--I am sure thats the first time anyone has ever agreed with me in a Thai forum about teaching. LOL

THANK YOU LOADED

That's a pretty good summary of the main requirements.

Edited by brucetefl

I need to print this out and frame it--I am sure thats the first time anyone has ever agreed with me in a Thai forum about teaching. LOL

THANK YOU LOADED

That's a pretty good summary of the main requirements.

Cheers guys... It is an interesting subject this...

I love that the Thais will just have a crack at something (if they are qualified) regardless of the regs involved :)

Our 7 rai is not a fire risk yet and our covered deck that my wife teaches under when it's raining has no doors or walls !!

My wife has a degree and a Masters, I guess she is the head teacher as she is the only teacher ?

Her curriculum changes week to week but that's what makes students love it....

This weekend we are going on a road trip to talk to Farangs... Don't ask how we are getting there :)