Samsung Note2, Emails Disappear

h90

Now the second time, the inbox is just empty, even I sent myself an email for testing it.

funny enough the answer of the email is still in the "sent" box.

I looked at the settings but could not find anything.

I use POP3 and one idea would be, that the email when deleted from the server is also deleted from the mobile phone, but that would be complete against the classic use of emails and POP3 server.

I think I really misunderstand something here......

Any ideas?

Add: I found out that when I leave the emails on the server they keep on the mobile phone.

When I delete them from the server they disappear from the mobile phone....It somehow uses POP3 in a IMAP way which is totally wrong....

What email client are you using on your phone? PC?

Is this a new problem? If so, what has changed recently?

Is this GMail? Or another email service provider?

Maybe try another email client? Or create a new Folder on your phone's email account settings, and move messages that you wish to retain on your phone into said Folder. I think the default is to delete messages from the phone if you delete them from the server, say from a PC or Web UI.

I turn my data on and off. It is only on when I want to check email or surf the Internet. When I receive email on my phone it stays on my phone even after I delete it from the server with my computer. It remains on my phone even when I go back online.

What email client are you using on your phone? PC?

Is this a new problem? If so, what has changed recently?

Is this GMail? Or another email service provider?

Maybe try another email client? Or create a new Folder on your phone's email account settings, and move messages that you wish to retain on your phone into said Folder. I think the default is to delete messages from the phone if you delete them from the server, say from a PC or Web UI.

PC Thunderbird. Phone: Stock from Samsung, it tells just "Email".

Email provider is my server (which is in Netherlands and uses POP3), configured the old style....just pop3, no webmail, Imap.

Download the emails from the pop3 with username and password to the email client....like 20 years ago :-)))

So everytime the PC downloads the emails they get subsequential deleted from the server (which is still the most fail and hacker safe method, specially as I still get some credit card numbers per email, but not on this email account).

I'll try now to not synchronize (I can disable that), or alternative I just open a GMail and let send the server an automatic copy on the GMail.

But if there is a smarter way, please let me know.....

I turn my data on and off. It is only on when I want to check email or surf the Internet. When I receive email on my phone it stays on my phone even after I delete it from the server with my computer. It remains on my phone even when I go back online.

which email client do you use?

I use the regular Gmail app that came as standard and also the one that just says Email that came with the ROM. I use the Email app for Hotmail. I was using the Dolphin browser getting my emails and it worked the same. I have now changed my browser to Chrome but haven't used it for emails.

Edited by Gary A

I use the regular Gmail app that came as standard and also the one that just says Email that came with the ROM. I use the Email app for Hotmail. I was using the Dolphin browser getting my emails and it worked the same. I have now changed my browser to Chrome but haven't used it for emails.

I think I'll just go with the Gmail app.....as android is google I think that will be the easiest....just set up a new account :-)

(I almost tried to set up the Gmail account to forward the emails to my wives email on the server and the server to forward to Gmail.....That would be a nice mistake....)

Edited by h90

I think I'll just go with the Gmail app.....as android is google I think that will be the easiest....just set up a new account :-)

(I almost tried to set up the Gmail account to forward the emails to my wives email on the server and the server to forward to Gmail.....That would be a nice mistake....)

It is very easy to set up. Basically just enter your address and password. It can import everything from your computer's gmail account. When you compose a new message, the address you want is right there. The little search icon allows you to find everything.

It is very easy to set up. Basically just enter your address and password. It can import everything from your computer's gmail account. When you compose a new message, the address you want is right there. The little search icon allows you to find everything.

Great thanks....set it up already and will try tomorrow :-)

I think the gmail client on the phone syncs rather than downloads, so if it isn't in your webmail inbox it isn't on your phone inbox.

Have a look under settings on the webmail under the tab Forwarding and POP/IMAP

- also check in the "ALL MAIL" inbox on your phone to see if the messages are there as the default setting for POP is to archive messages.

It's a Samsung. What did you expect? You are lucky it still turns on.

Well I have the TF700t from Asus and I must say the Samsung is a lot snappier. Its software seems messy on the beginning but when you use it, it feels like it is 5 years ahead of the TF700t.

Definitely not bad.

I think the gmail client on the phone syncs rather than downloads, so if it isn't in your webmail inbox it isn't on your phone inbox.

Have a look under settings on the webmail under the tab Forwarding and POP/IMAP

- also check in the "ALL MAIL" inbox on your phone to see if the messages are there as the default setting for POP is to archive messages.

I'm not sure how it works but it works great for me. This morning I had 5 messages on my phone. I went to my computer, read and deleted 3 of them. I went back and opened the phone, enabled data and all five were still there. Two had attachments and they still opened. When I refreshed the app, 3 of the messages were gone.

As a side note, I installed the Hotmail app from the Android Market. I had tried it before and the ads irritated me. With my rooted phone and an app called AdAway the ads are gone and I am now going to use and keep the Hotmail app. It works well but it does take an extra click. After you open it, it shows Hotmail and you have to click that too. It seems and looks better than the "email" standard ROM app.

You can set up Gmail to check POP accounts so that they appear in your Gmail inbox/client.

I just use Gmail on my phone and PC now and have 3 other POP accounts linked to it.

It tags the different accounts so they're easy to separate in the inbox, and if you want, you could have it automatically sort them into separate folders.

You can set up Gmail to check POP accounts so that they appear in your Gmail inbox/client.

I just use Gmail on my phone and PC now and have 3 other POP accounts linked to it.

It tags the different accounts so they're easy to separate in the inbox, and if you want, you could have it automatically sort them into separate folders.

that is great.....I just don't feel comfortable to give Google the password, but I can easily tell my server to just put every incoming email into the mailbox AND forward a copy to google. Should work the same.