Best Bank For Inter-Region Withdrawals

I'm looking for a bank that doesn't charge for withdrawals if you use an ATM in a different region. Does such a bank exist in Thailand? I currently use Bangkok Bank in Bangkok, but will be moving to Chiang Mai soon, so don't want to keep being charged for accessing my own money. I could open a BB account in Chiang Mai and transfer my money there, but even that costs 1,000 baht via internet banking. According to their fees table it's the same if you transfer via a branch. Fees at 10 baht per 10,000 baht transferred up to a maximum of 1,000 baht. So transfer 1,000,000 baht and you are hit with a 1,000 baht fee. Ridiculous.

I'll also be traveling around Asia soon, so am wondering what's the best way, if any, to avoid fees. BB charges 100 baht per withdrawal outside Thailand. I'm pretty sure my UK Nationwide account has hefty fees as well, but I'll double-check that.Would rather spend my money traveling that give it to a bank.

Have a look at at Krungsri. They have an account "Jad hai" with a card that is supposed to give free ATM withdrawals "any atm , any bank".

Nationwide in the UK used to be free withdrawals abroad and with a decent exchange rate but they also charge now but exchange rate is still not bad. I used this card many times and although they did not charge the local bank whose atm it was did charge ( I think it was about 150b)

Siam Commercial is definitely not the bank you want.

Withdrawing from a Chonburi-based SCB savings a/c from

i) an SCB ATM in Chachoengsao; fee 15 Baht; neighbouring provinces!

ii) a Bangkok Bank ATM in Nakhon Sawan; fee 20 Baht

So you know where not to start.

• Like 1

For different countries in Asia:

- I have different accounts with the main places I spend any real time in, and an ATM with each. If you are a priority banking client with Standard Chartered you get free international transfers between accounts with Stan Chart in different countries. Not much use for US and Europe but useful for Asia.

- After that I use a credit card - get some of the best FX rates

- What's left isn't worth bothering about to me

Within Country:

- I'd suggest you open an accoun in CM. Depending on the amount you can just do a counter withdrawal and deposit the money in your new account. If much larger amounts and you're uncomfortable with cash, then ask for a cashier's cheque payable to you.

:)

For different countries in Asia:

- I have different accounts with the main places I spend any real time in, and an ATM with each. If you are a priority banking client with Standard Chartered you get free international transfers between accounts with Stan Chart in different countries. Not much use for US and Europe but useful for Asia.

- After that I use a credit card - get some of the best FX rates

- What's left isn't worth bothering about to me

Within Country:

- I'd suggest you open an accoun in CM. Depending on the amount you can just do a counter withdrawal and deposit the money in your new account. If much larger amounts and you're uncomfortable with cash, then ask for a cashier's cheque payable to you.

smile.png

I'll be traveling, so not planning to return to the countries on a regular basis, if at all. Also like to keep my life fairly simple, so don't want lots of accounts in different countries. It just ends up way too much hassle for me. Would be a great idea though if I visited specific countries regularly.

Cashier's cheque is a good option as that is only 20 baht.

TMB, free withdrawals from any bank ATM.

10bht a month for the SMS service to notify you of each ATM or counter transaction (usually arrives within 10s of the ATM/computer).

That sounds like a great option, especially the SMS option.

Have a look at at Krungsri. They have an account "Jad hai" with a card that is supposed to give free ATM withdrawals "any atm , any bank".

Nationwide in the UK used to be free withdrawals abroad and with a decent exchange rate but they also charge now but exchange rate is still not bad. I used this card many times and although they did not charge the local bank whose atm it was did charge ( I think it was about 150b)

I'll check that one out. I remember the days of no fees with Nationwide. Now it's 2% = £1. And add another £3 for some local machines, and it can get quite expensive. Take out £100 and pay £3 to Nationwide and maybe £3 to the local bank. So that's 6% of your money gone without even taking account of exchange rate loses.

Do you know what the Krungsri fees are for withdrawal from ATMs outside Thailand?

Edited by davejones

10bht a month for the SMS service to notify you of each ATM or counter transaction (usually arrives within 10s of the ATM/computer).

Yes, TMB is the best for using ATMs across Thailand. The SMS thing may be free depending on what type of account you have (mine is).

CIMB is good for use at CIMB ATMs in other countries.

Standard Chartered also good for national use, but very few branches so may not be easy to open an account in the first place.

Yes, TMB is the best for using ATMs across Thailand. The SMS thing may be free depending on what type of account you have (mine is).

CIMB is good for use at CIMB ATMs in other countries.

Standard Chartered also good for national use, but very few branches so may not be easy to open an account in the first place.

CIMB sounds great. I just read this on their website...

Now you can view your account balances and also withdraw your money from any CIMB Bank, CIMB Niaga and CIMB Thai ATM and CIMB Bank PLC (Cambodia) machine for FREE. Don't forget to activate your ATM card for overseas usage.

CIMB ATM Regional Link service is a cross-border ATM withdrawal service that enables our ATM cardholders to withdraw cash in foreign currency across CIMB’s ATM network across Malaysia,

Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia and Cambodia.

I'll be traveling to all those countries. I'll check this out at one of their branches tomorrow.

• Like 1