How To Register Our Marraige In Thailand?

Lakdee

Hello,

Can you please advise how to register our marriage in Thailand? My Thai wife and I have been legally married in Swiss about 3 yrs. We have Thai wedding ceremony also, but we didn't register in Thailand at that time--

I read some post also but I am still confused and I couldn't find the one that matched mine. Can anyone clarify what we should do??

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Lakdee

Hello,

Can you please advise how to register our marriage in Thailand? My Thai wife and I have been legally married in Swiss about 3 yrs. We have Thai wedding ceremony also, but we didn't register in Thailand at that time--

I read some post also but I am still confused and I couldn't find the one that matched mine. Can anyone clarify what we should do??

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Lakdee

My husband (he is Thai) and I just went to the amphur, we had a authenticated document from the embassy saying I was free to marry, which was translated in Thai then got the seal of approval from the Thai foreign affairs office. Pretty easy. Only took one morning to get the whole thing done.

you already have a marriage license, so it should be really really easy.

Check the website from your embassy in Bangkok.

I was wondering about that too, is there a reason for registering in Thailand?

Hello again,

Thanks for gisele& all reply so much. I would recheck with my embassy in BKK.

The reason to register is I would like to make Thai passport to my kid. I saw that marraige certificate ( of parents) is required for kid ( my baby is 7 months+).

Regards,

Lakdee

I think you can apply for the passport at the Thai Embassy in Switzerland & your swiss marriage cert should be ok, if not ask them (thai embassy) how to proceed. Should be fairly straight forward though as lots of thai/farang children are born outside the kingdom & get thai passports :o

I think you can apply for the passport at the Thai Embassy in Switzerland & your swiss marriage cert should be ok, if not ask them (thai embassy) how to proceed. Should be fairly straight forward though as lots of thai/farang children are born outside the kingdom & get thai passports :o

Hello Boo,

Thanks for reply. However, I have found some difficulty in making Thai passport for my baby in Swiss (refer to my question on this post : .http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54069).

It should be more easier to make in BKK , as we have to go back there also.

Regards,

Lakdee

Thanks for reply. However, I have found some difficulty in making Thai passport for my baby in Swiss (refer to my question on this post : .http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54069).
Yes, I remember that thread about the Thai embassy in Switzerland refusing to issue a passport for a child of Thai nationality until the child is at least 8 yeas old. I believe their refusal is illegal, that they are just plain lazy.

You are right in thinking that it should be easier to get a first passport for the child in Thailand. Make sure you register the birth of the child, born in Switzerland, with the Thai embassy in Berne and get the corresponding certificate. It will save you trouble with the required documentation for the passport application in Thailand.

Once in Thailand, register the child in the house registration form (tabien baan). Then go to the passport office, show them what documents you have and ask what else they might need. It should be quite an easy process.

---------------

Maestro

You married in Switzerland and are at the moment in Switzerland. If you didn’t register your marriage at the Thai embassy at the time, I suggest you do it now and get the relevant document in Thai. It will save you the trouble of translation in Thailand.

If the Thai embassy in Switzerland is too lazy to do also that, I guess you need a marriage certificate from a Swiss authority (Einwohnerkontrolle at your municipal office), bring it to Thailand, get it officially translated and the translation certified. I don’t know if the Swiss embassy in Bangkok will help with this. I know of a place called swisshelpingpoint.com in Wave Place near the embassy and if you run into trouble your husband may want to contact them to see if they can help.

---------------

Maestro

You married in Switzerland and are at the moment in Switzerland. If you didn’t register your marriage at the Thai embassy at the time, I suggest you do it now and get the relevant document in Thai. It will save you the trouble of translation in Thailand.

If the Thai embassy in Switzerland is too lazy to do also that, I guess you need a marriage certificate from a Swiss authority (Einwohnerkontrolle at your municipal office), bring it to Thailand, get it officially translated and the translation certified. I don’t know if the Swiss embassy in Bangkok will help with this. I know of a place called swisshelpingpoint.com in Wave Place near the embassy and if you run into trouble your husband may want to contact them to see if they can help.

---------------

Maestro

---------------

Maestro

Hello Maestro,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have well noted all.

Best regards,

Lakdee

My husband (he is Thai) and I just went to the amphur, we had a authenticated document from the embassy saying I was free to marry, which was translated in Thai then got the seal of approval from the Thai foreign affairs office. Pretty easy. Only took one morning to get the whole thing done.

you already have a marriage license, so it should be really really easy.

Check the website from your embassy in Bangkok.

That is fine if you are NOT married.

Once you are that is it, you cannot marry the same person again.

So...would it be accurate to say that there is no reason that someone who is resident semi-permanently in Thailand should register their marriage to a Thai national at their local tessaban? What about for general legal purposes?...say if I wanted to legally adopt my wife's daughter or wanted to set up a 30 year lease arrangement for the property we presently own that's in the wife's name, etc, etc...

The wife and I were married at the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi and our marriage certificates were issued by them...