Honda Nsr 150 2-stroke

flupke

i am planning to buy a secondhand Honda NSR 150 2-stroke but i am not familiar ( only big bikes in europa ) with these 2- stroke powered bikes

i think the same ,adapted, engine is used in the 2-stroke phantom model

engine is according to honda ' s reliability ?

it probably needs full synthetic 2 stroke oil , anybody an idea about the consumption ?

about maintenance , maybe a new piston every 10.000 km , shouldn ' t cost too much

these bikes are for sale pretty cheap at the moment , i guess because of the petrol price ?

thanks for advice

I rode an NSR-150 SP Pro-Arm around for a couple of weeks, and it was great fun at times. I didn't buy one though, and instead went for a more practical CB 400 Super Four.

The fuel economy is pretty dependant on your driving style. If you ride the NSR around at low revs - no power - it's not too bad, but all the power comes in a tiny range at the top of the tach. This is where the fun comes in. It's all gears and high revs, which I decided would get tiring for a town bike as there was no low-end stuff. The economy was ok, I was running about 250 bt/ week for a small commute (60 baht in 100cc wave). You need to change the 2T oil about once every two fill-ups (small seperate tank), which adds to the cost.

As for reliabilty, I dunno, but strokers are very cheap to fix and rebuild here, and you see plenty of old ones whizzing around. And, for £400 who's complaining?

PS: The Phantom is a 200cc diesel.

Hi,

I have an NSR150RR and have never had any problems with reliability,starts first time even if left for month!

Its ok on fuel but as Lormak said....depends how hard you ride it.Its quick,max speed around 180kph,which is plenty for a 150!Go for a pro-arm SP if you can,as its a better handling bike.Ive seen RRs for 15K and SPs for around 25K privately.

Good luck:)

My friend in Chiang Mai loves his so much that, when he totalled it recently, he had it rebuilt for 14K baht. He heard that it gets 30hp in the standard version, more like 40hp in the special version.

If a bike with 15hp is run ragged, like my CBR150R, it gets 30 km/liter. It's possible that running an NSR150 at twice the power output would get a lot less fuel economy.

At what rpm does the power kick in on those babies?

Yeah, I wish I could have gotten a 30hp new Honda in July, 2003.

I recently brought my self a second hand NSR150SP and its great fun, for about 30,000bt you can hit 180kph plus.

They are very reliable and very cheap to maintain, I used to own a TZM 150 before and that did over 50,000km on the same piston and was still running well when it got stolen by my ex-wife.

Parts are cheap and easily available (660 baht for a new back tire etc)

They do use a fair bit of fuel, I get about 115 km for 220 bahts worth of gas and about a litre of 2T every 500km

I have done 2500km since I brought it all trouble free, I would buy one soon as the good ones out there wont last forever.

P.S Does anybody know where I can get a race pipe for mine?

I recently brought my self a second hand NSR150SP and its great fun, for about 30,000bt you can hit 180kph plus.

They are very reliable and very cheap to maintain, I used to own a TZM 150 before and that did over 50,000km on the same piston and was still running well when it got stolen by my ex-wife.

They do use a fair bit of fuel, I get about 115 km for 220 bahts worth of gas and about a litre of 2T every 500km

I have done 2500km since I brought it all trouble free, I would buy one soon as the good ones out there wont last forever.

115 km for 220 bahts : seems a lot , must be at racing speed i guess

thanks for the info

i ' ve got one : aero sports model 2544

easy handling and fun bike to drive ,

realy amazed about the powerincrease above 7000 rpm , till 10.000 , realy fast

didn ' t checked the topspeed yet (not important but gives a good indication )

i am sure it runs 180 plus , considering the revs and the power left at 140 km/h

till now average fuel (for country -city rides , no racing ) about 5 l / 100 km , seems ok

don ' t buy a big bike , this one is strongly recommanded

I take back what I said about them being reliable my 23,000 km bike just suffered a piston failure for no reason whatsoever. The 2t was nearly full and I always stayed below the red line (only just below).

To make things worse the cylinder barrel has some sort of ceramic coating meaning that it can not be rebored so I’m looking at a 10,000 baht bill.

• 1 year later...

KoratSteve, you better find a different mechanic to rebuild your engine as he's ripping you off at 10k to do it. I rebuilt a 150RR for less than 5000 baht and even replaced other parts. You mentioned the ex stole the bike for awhile, maybe she put something in the tank (sugar or whatever) and that's why it got the problem. 5555

KoratSteve, you better find a different mechanic to rebuild your engine as he's ripping you off at 10k to do it. I rebuilt a 150RR for less than 5000 baht and even replaced other parts. You mentioned the ex stole the bike for awhile, maybe she put something in the tank (sugar or whatever) and that's why it got the problem. 5555

I did get my Proarm rebuilt again, the quote for 10,000 included a new ceramic barrel which I did not need in the end so it cost me less than 5000 for a full rebuild changing the piston and connecting rod and a general overhaul fork seals etc.

The reason why the piston kept failing was the crankshaft oil seal had split probably by over filling the gear oil.

I have kind of lost interest in the bike at the moment as I have access to an XR650 that seems to be my first choice at the moment, altough I do intend to fit a brembo brake calliper to it that I sourced from ebay in the UK.

On another note this Saturday me and a couple of friends took our Waves and a Spark down to the Korat race circuit where you pay 200 baht for a few hours track time, I still have a smile on my face now it was so much fun.

g'day everyone... anyone here from australia? i am!!!

i am a proud owner of a 02 nsr 150sp (my first bike)

firstly, to answer the first thread, although you can have heaps of fun on this inexpensive bike... its not an ideal learner bike... it doesnt have much dwn low and high revs/powerband isnt ideal for a beginner... four stroke 250's provide better torque ranges for you progress on...

my baby has done 13 500k's. the rings on them were designed to be replaced at 10.

you can tell if it needs it when you have trouble starting (many kicks to start) or if blowing excessive smoke after 10mins into a ride.

correct me if im wrong, but the cyl barrels are plated with nikasil. there are a rare number of places who do rebores on these nikasil platings. however, im told that these usually arent required over the life of the engine. having said that, does anyone know where i can find a cheap and reliable place to buy a piston, rings and gasket???

also a service/workshop manual in english too?????

im a conservative rider... but still struggle to get 200k's out of 10lt.

research tells me that pistons seize if the engine is over heated, no oil or no compression(ring problem).... the other reason for a engine seizure while in motion is maybe the fuel pump...

a race pype can be found from tyga performance... http://tyga-performance.com/site/product_i...products_id=511

look foward to hearing a response to my comments and queries...

does anyone know where i can find a cheap and reliable place to buy a piston, rings and gasket???

I'm a conservative rider... but still struggle to get 200k's out of 10lt.

Did you ask Matt or Paul if they would pop down to the local Honda dealer for you?

If you get really desperate let me know.

Fuel I used to get a bit more than that but it's a long time ago. My 250 gets about 10kms / litre.

150's Oil consumption is around 1000kms per tank.

Oil of choice should be Shell Advance VSX or Ultra it came second in a test for lubricity. Sorry can't remember the 1st. . Here I have only found VSX, which is what I always use. Ask anyone who has ridden with me. One of the stipulations is that we must stop at Shell gas stations!!

Edited by VocalNeal

does anyone know where i can find a cheap and reliable place to buy a piston, rings and gasket???

I'm a conservative rider... but still struggle to get 200k's out of 10lt.

Did you ask Matt or Paul if they would pop down to the local Honda dealer for you?

If you get really desperate let me know.

Fuel I used to get a bit more than that but it's a long time ago. My 250 gets about 10kms / litre.

150's Oil consumption is around 1000kms per tank.

Oil of choice should be Shell Advance VSX or Ultra it came second in a test for lubricity. Sorry can't remember the 1st. . Here I have only found VSX, which is what I always use. Ask anyone who has ridden with me. One of the stipulations is that we must stop at Shell gas stations!!

neal... thankyou for being the first responder...

i am new to this site... and dnt knw matt or paul... are they from sydney, Australia?

10k/lt??? dude thats aweful... worst than many cars... arent u gonna do somethin bout that???

i dnt knw why u started to rave on abt oil... but while u on the topic... there are too many rumours out there on oil... u just dnt knw who to believ... ive heard ppl tel me that shell maybe be great for cars but not for bikes... they have too much additives in them... those guys only use Bp...

g'day fellas,

after i parked my nsr150 outside of a commission housing in sydney a few weeks ago... i found that the ignition hole was tampered with. was like some kids tried to dig into it with a screw driver... so i had to fiddle my keys around it (the handle bar was loose too) to get it going... i thought that itd just be a little annoyance that i would have to learn to put up with.

just yesterday i went to the beach and just as im about to leave, the key didnt work at all... so theres my (light-lil) bike, left stranded there...

after i tow the thing home... what should be my next step? undo the ignition component? where can i get the tools? locksmith/car or bike mech?

u may be thinking honda dealer will sort things out for me... i just wanna know my most cost efficient options...

look foward to replies...

p

what should be my next step? undo the ignition component? where can i get the tools? locksmith/car or bike mech?

u may be thinking honda dealer will sort things out for me... i just wanna know my most cost efficient options...

Go to www.tygaperformance.com and ask Paul if they will pop down to the Honda dealer and get you a new switch assy. While you are at it buy a new Tyga exhaust :o