2nd Year Non-immigrant 'o' Extension

I went to the immigration today (valentine's day) to extend my visa for the second year

My wife and myself expected another interview like the one we did on the first year. To our surprise, there was none.

The officer concentrated on my bank book and the banker's guarantor, after that, she stamped on my passport and everything is done !

She did tell me however, that I am not allowed to withdraw the funds in my account for the entire year. But this is not a problem for me. So I am through now.

Just waiting for one more year to go and I can apply for PR :o

The officer concentrated on my bank book and the banker's guarantor, after that, she stamped on my passport and everything is done !

suprising is having it approved without the 'under consideration...' stamp first.

She did tell me however, that I am not allowed to withdraw the funds in my account for the entire year.

this is not true, your funds are proof of support of a thai and certainly can be spent...and then topped off next year.

I went to the immigration today (valentine's day) to extend my visa for the second year

My wife and myself expected another interview like the one we did on the first year. To our surprise, there was none.

She did tell me however, that I am not allowed to withdraw the funds in my account for the entire year. But this is not a problem for me. So I am through now.

No; this is not true. You cannot withdraw the money during the consideration time, that usually it tekes about 2 mounts. But when you gotten the visa you can withdraw all the money as you want.

I done it ,and I don't care what the officer says (the law not speak notting about that) because the 400k need you for keep the daily expenses for one year , and not for sleep in a bank.

Just waiting for one more year to go and I can apply for PR :o

This makes me wonder - or rather worry. Since that officer obviously was totally confused with respect to the very nature of the 400,000 - they're supposed to be the means to support your wife during the year - maybe she's also confused with respect of the very procedure.

How can we be sure, that she wasn't supposed to actually have things approved by Bangkok? And - if that's the case - how can we be sure of the legal validity of the extension stamp?

Sorry, if I hereby give unnecessary worries to the OP, but I'd wish some capable person, would check up on wether procedures actually have changed. (Certainly, a local office cannot on itself decide to leave Bangkok out without the consent of Bangkok, right?)

Are you quite sure that stamp doesn’t say that your application is under consideration and that you must report back on a specified date?

---------------

Maestro

suprising is having it approved without the 'under consideration...' stamp first.

She did tell me however, that I am not allowed to withdraw the funds in my account for the entire year.

this is not true, your funds are proof of support of a thai and certainly can be spent...and then topped off next year.

I also thought the same initially but she really said that. So to play safe, I will not touch it in case next year they give me problem

Yet another confused Immigration official? Was this at the Phuket office, by any chance?? :o

No, it is at Bangkok

Just waiting for one more year to go and I can apply for PR :D

I hope you have a good job and are paying oodles of tax........ :D

No, I do not have a job and I do not work. So I need not pay tax. I am not too worry about the 400k in the bank as I have other bank accounts amounting to about 5 million baht.

This makes me wonder - or rather worry. Since that officer obviously was totally confused with respect to the very nature of the 400,000 - they're supposed to be the means to support your wife during the year - maybe she's also confused with respect of the very procedure.

How can we be sure, that she wasn't supposed to actually have things approved by Bangkok? And - if that's the case - how can we be sure of the legal validity of the extension stamp?

Sorry, if I hereby give unnecessary worries to the OP, but I'd wish some capable person, would check up on wether procedures actually have changed. (Certainly, a local office cannot on itself decide to leave Bangkok out without the consent of Bangkok, right?)

The woman officer who stamped and signed on my passport is of a senior rank and she is sitting right at the back. So I supposed she knows what she is doing and has to power to approve. Why would the stamp be invalid ? It is endorsed by the immigration in Bangkok

Are you quite sure that stamp doesn’t say that your application is under consideration and that you must report back on a specified date?

---------------

Maestro

No, I am very sure about it, there is no "consideration". For my first year, yes, there were a few stamps , all saying "under consideration" so I know what you are refering to.

I guess (I might be wrong) I got the immediate extension as it was the second year and this time I showed them 2 bank books and 2 bankers guarantee. The first book has 1 million and the second one has about close to 4 million baht.

She said "do not withdraw" from the first book.

I am not sure if this was the reason or not.

Anyone has similar experience ?

Desmond, many thanks for the update / clarification. You have done very well in getting your extension in one hit.

I also read about another TV member who did the same in an "outside" of Bangkok immigration office. So thats two so far this year. Maybe there are some changes afoot. Maybe there is a new policy for second / third time etc extensions, whatever.

I for one, would be more than happy to do just the one trip to Bangkok each year :o

Desmond, many thanks for the update / clarification. You have done very well in getting your extension in one hit.

I have been here in Thailand since 2003. I always got my extension in one hit.

Maybe it has something to do with how far away from Immigration you live.

I live up in Isaan and use to make my extension in Bangkok.

Hi olaus, I am also living in Issan (Buriram) This year will only be my second extension. Last year I had one under consideration period of about 6 weeks. This year........who knows :o

You say you use to make your extension applications in Bangkok, where do you do them now?

Wow, you travelled all the way to Bangkok from Isaan ? About a day's journey ?

I also thought the same initially but she really said that. So to play safe, I will not touch it in case next year they give me problem

She can says everyting she vants , but I don't believe in her. I never heard that you cannot touch the money during the year . The money are mine , they not belongs to them.

I think she don't know the true nature of the 400K .

I think is better to her that go back to remake the professional training.

I got an extension to my Non-O done at the BOI last year with no "Under Consideration".

Maybe to do with the Work Permit, as they didn't want to see bank records, nor speak to my wife.

Work permit is different , the 400,000 baht is not a requirement and it has also nothing to do with your wife. It is a different case

No, I am very sure about it, there is no "consideration". For my first year, yes, there were a few stamps , all saying "under consideration" so I know what you are refering to.

I guess (I might be wrong) I got the immediate extension as it was the second year and this time I showed them 2 bank books and 2 bankers guarantee. The first book has 1 million and the second one has about close to 4 million baht.

I suspect that was the reason as I have been told in the past the if you have more than 800k in bank (vice the required 400k for support Thai wife) that immigration can immediately stamp a one year extension of stay. However I have had that amount and did not receive such stamp so not sure. But I still suspect the "do not withdraw" was for the normal under review period of 45 days rather than a lifetime.

I suspect that was the reason as I have been told in the past the if you have more than 800k in bank (vice the required 400k for support Thai wife) that immigration can immediately stamp a one year extension of stay. However I have had that amount and did not receive such stamp so not sure. But I still suspect the "do not withdraw" was for the normal under review period of 45 days rather than a lifetime.

Yes, I think their most concern is the money part. But then again, it all depends on the approving officer.