Working In Thailand

I know you can't work in Thailand, but I work remotely for an online company. I'm paid into a U.S. bank account in USD. Would that be a problem? Is it difficult to transfer money from a U.S. account to a Thai bank?

Thanks so much for all your help. I really want to have all the info I need to make a decision. The sites I've found don't discuss things like this.

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I understand you can only legally work in Thailand if you have a work permit. However, unless your employer has a presence in Thailand it is unlikely you would be able to get a work permit.

If you are working online and being paid into a US bank account, it is highly unlikely that this would create any major problems for you even though it would strictly speaking be against the law.

It is no problem transferring funds from the US to Thailand and you could of course also use an ATM to withdraw cash if you didn't want to draw attention by regular transfers.

Having said all that, I'm no expert and it would probably better though to check with a law firm as to your options.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard
  • Like 1

As far as I understand you can only legally work in Thailand if you have a work permit. However, unless your employer has a presence in Thailand it is unlikely you would be able to get a work permit.

Having said that if you are working online and being paid into a US bank account, it is highly unlikely that this would create a problem for you even though it would strictly speaking be against the law.

It is no problem transferring funds from the US to Thailand and you could of course also use an ATM to withdraw cash if you didn't want to draw attention by regular transfers..

Thank you. I know of at least one other person who works for the same company I do who lives in Bangkok. She is an American citizen, born here, but her mother was Thai and when her parents divorced, her mother went back home to Bangkok. She came later to help care for her mother, and now she does what I do. She still is a U.S. citizen and pays U.S. taxes. Of course, she is there because she has family there, so that may be a different thing.

I did read that I could work as a journalist if I can get credentials from a major publication, so I'm working on that.

She is not only a US-citizen but also a Thai citizen by virtue of her mother being Thai, and that would be a big difference as she doesn't require a work permit.

That's true. I didn't think of that. Well, I would have to work, so I could take the chance of getting caught, or give up my plans to come to Thailand. I will have to look into getting that journalist certification.

Working remotely online means the chances of you being caught are zero.

The people who get in to trouble are working in public without a work permit such as in a restaurant or bar.

The issue is going to be renewing the visa after a couple of years as you'll have to stay on tourist visas.

(BTW everything here is not legal advice but merely my own poorly informed opinion)

• Like 2

She is not only a US-citizen but also a Thai citizen by virtue of her mother being Thai, and that would be a big difference as she doesn't require a work permit.

That's true. I didn't think of that. Well, I would have to work, so I could take the chance of getting caught, or give up my plans to come to Thailand. I will have to look into getting that journalist certification.

Its already been pointed out what you intend doing is illegal, so one assumes you are aware of possible penalties if you do get caught ?

be careful not to talk about your work, or annoy anyone.

I think one day working remotely might get dangerous as it might one day be a Big Brother is watching you kind of country.

All it would take is for immigration and the DOL to start looking at how people are supporting themselves in Thailand when they are claiming "residence" in Thailand and living here on perpetual tourist visa's, of course not all of them are on tourist visa's so some will slip through

I did read that I could work as a journalist if I can get credentials from a major publication, so I'm working on that.

There a number of fields open to people who aren't Thai nationals and many foreigners here do have work permits.

While that is true, a work permit is issued to grant permission to work in Thailand for a company in a specified address. So, as I understand it, even if he gets a job and a work permit it would be still, strictly speaking, illegal to perform other jobs

This is very complicated. I just assumed that I could not work at a Thai company, taking someone else's job, so I thought working online would be o.k. If I can't work at all, I may have to wait until I retire to even think about it. From what I've read, you have to have a job waiting for you to be able to get a work permit. I have to do some thinking about this. No need spending $3,000 to come visit if I won't be able to live there.

This is very complicated. I just assumed that I could not work at a Thai company, taking someone else's job, so I thought working online would be o.k. If I can't work at all, I may have to wait until I retire to even think about it. From what I've read, you have to have a job waiting for you to be able to get a work permit. I have to do some thinking about this. No need spending $3,000 to come visit if I won't be able to live there.

Not complicated at all...Thailand's WP system is one of the simpler ones I have worked under over the years, the most complicated/expensive I have worked under was in the US...lawyers involved, very expensive etc etc...Thailands system is pretty simple and not that expensive

Lots of expats work for Thai companies, you are correct in saying you need to have a job waiting for you to get a WP, if you really want to live here, suppose one avenue is to become an English teacher.

As regards working on line, Phuket immigration/DOL came out some time ago and stated catgorically working on line was illegal and they would prosecute people they caught doing this, but suppose the trick is they have to catch you..wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel

Not complicated at all...Thailand's WP system is one of the simpler ones I have worked under over the years, the most complicated/expensive I have worked under was in the US...lawyers involved, very expensive etc etc...Thailands system is pretty simple and not that expensive

Lots of expats work for Thai companies, you are correct in saying you need to have a job waiting for you to get a WP, if you really want to live here, suppose one avenue is to become an English teacher.

As regards working on line, Phuket immigration/DOL came out some time ago and stated catgorically working on line was illegal and they would prosecute people they caught doing this, but suppose the trick is they have to catch you..wink.png

Got this from another forum. Evidently it is a government list of prohibiited occupations for foreigners in Thailand, and it has nothing about any computer occupations at all.

Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour

Prescribing works relating to occupation and profession in which an alien is prohibited to engage

------------------------------------------

1. Manual work;
  2. Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm of supervision:
  3. bricklaying, carpentry or other construction work;
  4. wood carving;
  5. driving mechanically-propelled carried or driving non-mechanically-propelled vehicle, excluding international aircraft piloting;
  6. shop attendance;
  7. auction;
  8. supervising, auditing or giving services in accountancy excluding internal auditing on occasions;
  9. cutting of polishing jewellry;
  10. haircutting, hairdressing or beauty treatment;
  11. cloth weaving by hand;
  12. weaving of mats or making products from reeds, rattan, hemp, straw or bamboo pellicle;
  13. making of Sa paper by hand;
  14. lacquerware making;
  15. making of Thai musical instruments;
  16. nielloware making;
  17. making of products from gold, silver or gold-copper alloy;
  18. bronzeware making;
  19. making of Thai dolls;
  20. making of mattress of quilt blanket;
  21. alms bowls casting;
  22. making of silk products by hand;
  23. casting of Buddha images;
  24. knife making;
  25. making of paper of cloth umbrella;
  26. shoemaking;
  27. hat-making;
  28. brokerage or agency excluding brokerage of agency in international trade business;
  29. engineering work in civil engineering branch concerning designing and calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advising excluding specialized work;
  30. architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plan, estimation, construction directing or advising;
  31. garments making;
  32. pottery or ceramic ware making;
  33. cigarette making by hand;
  34. guide or conducting sightseeing tours;
  35. street vending;
  36. type-setting of Thai characters by hand;
  37. drawing and twisting silk-thread by hand
  38. office or secretarial work;
  39. legal or lawsuit services.

• Like 1

you could try what the majority of tv members do which is to sign up for an education visa, this is what lets a lot of low lifes stay here, that and the visa runs, and the old pensioner sex pats

I can't be an English teacher. I don't have a college degree.

Think you will find there are masses of English teachers working in Thailand without...one suspects you will never get into an international school, but dont think the language schools really care

you could try what the majority of tv members do which is to sign up for an education visa, this is what lets a lot of low lifes stay here, that and the visa runs, and the old pensioner sex pats

speak for yourself...

• Like 1

To the OP, your list is great and you are correct the jobs for computer experts are not listed, however, do you think a Thai company is going to employ a foreigner for 50,000per month or a Thai for a fraction of the cost.

Why 50k/m ?....no minium salary is specified for a WP, the THB 50k thing comes in for the extension of stay...nothing stopping someone on a WP visa running every 3 months

whistling.gif What your asking is a question asked many times on this forum.

Frankly, the answer isn't really clear.

First of all, working on-line while living in Thailand will probably be considered by the Thai tax people as working in Thailand.

The law will say that any work activity in Thailand .... whether or not you are compensated for that work activity ... is in effect considered working in Thailand.

Therefore you are eligible for Thai taxes to be paid on your income.

For practical purposes if you are not making a lot of money by your on-line work, it is difficult for the Thai tax people to prove your income and the effort required to prove it means they don't usually bother to try to come after you.

But you should understand ... they could if they wanted to make the effort... it generally isn't worth their time and effort.

To be blunt, the law was written before such a thing as "on-line work" was known.... and it is unclear.

Technically, they will say you need a Work Permit for on-line work .... but where and who will issue you a Work Permit for "on-line work"?

I don't think anyone's ever done it.... unless you have been hired directly by a Thai company.... and are paid by that company.

As for getting money INTO a Thai bank it's relatively easy. Just open a Thai bank account and have your home country bank wire your money into Thailand.

However, many Thai banks want you to have a visa that allows you to stay in Thailand on a long term basis.

That means NOT a tourist visa.

Getting it OUT of Thailand however is much more difficult.... tax reasons.

You see how this discussion is running?

Frankly, there just aren't any certain answers to what your asking.

whistling.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Without a college degree and good solid work experience you are unlikely to find a job in Thailand.

An employer has to show that they cannot reasonably fill the vacancy from the Thai workforce

before they can get a Work Permit for you.

Working on-line, below the radar is possible, but then you will have the visa problem.

You will probably only be able to get a 2 month Tourist Visa and do visa runs.

The consulates in the region are quite strict these days about how many times they will issue a new visa,

before they say No

if you find it a hassle, just withdraw 20000 at atm using your foreign bank card and suck it up, the 150 baht charges.

alternative way is to open a forex brokerage account, 2 internal accounts, one with thb base and usd base. deposit it the usd account using debit/card linked to your banking account, internal transfer over to thb account with live forex rate. withdraw it over your thai bank account. usually forex brokerage offer 1 free withdrawal transaction per month, if done correctly 0 charges at forex exchange rate.

Morally you don't have any problem, you are not taking work from any Thai.

Formally, it is illegal.

Practically - you will not have any problem as long as you keep a low profile, working from your apartment.

If someone asks you what you do or how you make a living, say that you have internet business in the US; that is not illegal as far as I know, and will satisfy 99% of the people.

To the OP, your list is great and you are correct the jobs for computer experts are not listed, however, do you think a Thai company is going to employ a foreigner for 50,000per month or a Thai for a fraction of the cost.

They might prefer a foreigner if they need very good English skills, or other skills which are rare in Thailand.

Some Filipinos are employed here for business services jobs, with salaries of 50-80K baht per month.

Not sure what's the procedure though.

Having said that if you are working online and being paid into a US bank account, it is highly unlikely that this would create a problem for you even though it would strictly speaking be against the law.

It is no problem transferring funds from the US to Thailand and you could of course also use an ATM to withdraw cash if you didn't want to draw attention by regular transfers..

Thank you. I know of at least one other person who works for the same company I do who lives in Bangkok. She is an American citizen, born here, but her mother was Thai and when her parents divorced, her mother went back home to Bangkok. She came later to help care for her mother, and now she does what I do. She still is a U.S. citizen and pays U.S. taxes. Of course, she is there because she has family there, so that may be a different thing.

None of that stuff about your friend has any bearing on Work Permits. If your friend has Thai citizenship then she is off the radar as far as the Labour Department is concerned.

As somebody said earlier, a non-Thai citizen who wishes to perform tasks for which they will be rewarded for (work) inside the Kingdom of Thailand requires a work permit in order to legally do so.

Sending money from your US bank account to your Thai account is no problem. Officially, banks require that you have a work permit in order to open a bank account but this rule isn't always enforced by some branches (you just have to find out through trial and error). Unless you go around broadcasting it no one is going to find out or care about the fact that you get your money out of the ATM of a Thai bank to which you send money from your US account, which comes from your employer whom you work for from within the borders of Thailand.

wai2.gif

Edited by Trembly

Just a thought. Couldn't you set up your own company and get your current employers to pay your company? I think you would get a work permit as director of the company.

At least I think this was possible when I was looking at setting my company up but that was many years ago and things may have changed since then.

None of that stuff about your friend has any bearing on Work Permits. If your friend has Thai citizenship then she is off the radar as far as the Labour Department is concerned.

As somebody said earlier, a non-Thai citizen who wishes to perform tasks for which they will be rewarded for (work) inside the Kingdom of Thailand requires a work permit in order to legally do so.

Sending money from your US bank account to your Thai account is no problem. Officially, banks require that you have a work permit in order to open a bank account but this rule isn't always enforced by some branches (you just have to find out through trial and error). Unless you go around broadcasting it no one is going to find out or care about the fact that you get your money out of the ATM of a Thai bank to which you send money from your US account, which comes from your employer whom you work for from within the borders of Thailand.

wai2.gif

What banks officially require a work permit to open an account? And how did you come by that information? wai2.gif