Thailand Falls On Graft Index: Corruption

webfact

CORRUPTION

Kingdom falls on graft index

The Nation

30195729-01_big.jpg

Sumon Sutawiriyawat, chair of the Senate anti-corruption committee, seated centre, poses with young anti-graft activists to promote an online network against corruption ahead of International Anti-Corruption Day on Sunday.

Ranks 88th of 176 nations; minister blames drop on new criteria

BANGKOK: -- Thailand has dropped further in an international corruption index compiled by Transparency International (TI), falling eight places from last year to 88th on the 176-country list for 2012.

Last year's ranking by the Berlin-based organisation featured 183 countries, a fact that opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said made this year's result even worse.

However, PM's Office Minister Nivatthamrong Boonsongpaisal, who oversees the government's anti-corruption campaigns, said Thailand's slide was the result of changes in TI's grading criteria, pointing out that in terms of overall points the Kingdom's score had increased from 34 out of a possible 100 last year to 37 this year.

'Government continues battle'

Nivatthamrong said the government had continued fighting corruption, setting up three new channels to receive public complaints: boxes at all city halls; the 1026 hotline call centre; and the website www.stopcorruption.go.th.

City Clerk Atthaphorn Suwatthanadecha said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration would carry on with its "Growing Up Not Cheating" campaign at BMA-run primary schools, focusing on teaching morality to children.

He cited a survey on this campaign which indicated that students in those schools had shown improvements in their class and personal behaviours - such as refraining from copying classmates' homework and exam papers, and not telling lies.

A similar campaign is being drafted for future use in secondary schools, both BMA-run and central government-run, he added.

Five countries share the 88th ranking with Thailand, most of them underdeveloped African nations.

Among countries in Asean, Singapore ranked 5th, Malaysia 54th, the Philippines 105th, Indonesia 118th, Vietnam 123rd, Cambodia 157th, Laos 160th and Myanmar 172nd.

The average score on TI's ranking this year was 43, while two-thirds of the 176 countries scored lower than 50.

Four countries ranked below Myanmar, retaining the bottom spots on the list: Sudan, Afghanistan, North Korea and Somalia.

The 10 countries at the top of the list - some sharing the same ranking - are Denmark, Finland, New Zealand, Sweden, Singapore, Switzerland, Australia, Norway, Canada and the Netherlands.

TI utilised 13 data sources in compiling the Corruption Perceptions Index 2012, mostly development banks, think-tanks and agencies promoting good governance and rule of law, and non-governmental organisations.

"Governments need to integrate anti-corruption actions into all public decision-making.

"Priorities include better rules on lobbying and political financing, making public spending and contracting more transparent and making public bodies more accountable to people," said Huguette Labelle, the chairperson of Transparency International, in her statement on Wednesday accompanying the release of this year's TI rankings.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-07

However, PM's Office Minister Nivatthamrong Boonsongpaisal, who oversees the government's anti-corruption campaigns, said Thailand's slide was the result of changes in TI's grading criteria, pointing out that in terms of overall points the Kingdom's score had increased from 34 out of a possible 100 last year to 37 this year.

The same is valid for most years as any 'perception index' is bound to be influenced by both external as well as internal factors. We had the same arguments here over the last few years.

I'm surprised the government and/or Pheu Thai MPs haven't accused yet the opposition and the Democrats in particular for slandering their own country by keeping on talking about corruption and therefor causing Thailand to slide on this 'perception index'. Still, it's early, barely 08:30 AM.

The same is valid for most years as any 'perception index' is bound to be influenced by both external as well as internal factors. We had the same arguments here over the last few years.

I'm surprised the government and/or Pheu Thai MPs haven't accused yet the opposition and the Democrats in particular for slandering their own country by keeping on talking about corruption and therefor causing Thailand to slide on this 'perception index'. Still, it's early, barely 08:30 AM.

So what they are saying is that coruption here is getting less than it was but that other countries are cleaning up there act faster.

34 up to 37 an improvment.

84 down to 88 in the world shows others are much faster at cleaning up there act.

• Like 1

"He cited a survey on this campaign which indicated that students in those schools had shown improvements in their class and personal behaviours - such as refraining from copying classmates' homework and exam papers, and not telling lies."

Of course this survey is only valid if the students did not behave as their elders...Lie when answering the questions, and giving the desired answers in order to save facewai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Corruption was put on trial at the last election and the public jury gave it the all clear, corruption won, corruption is leading this country, those best at corruption are the present popular choice of leadership, the public has (mostly) indicated it finds corruption tolerable, so corruption it is, corruption is thriving, anti-corruption efforts are losing, Thailand is well on its way to becoming the world's most corrupt middle income country. It has outdone Myanmar and Cambodia, even the Philippines.

Sorry, but it can't hold a candle to Cambodia.

Thailand has dropped further in an international corruption index compiled by Transparency International (TI), falling eight places from last year to 88th on the 176-country list for 2012.

Amazing! Only four months ago we had

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday cited an index by private firm Political and Economic Risk Consultancy (PERC) that showed her government's rising efficiency in tackling corruption."

http://www.thaivisa....aw#entry5584753

EDIT: maybe rather than 'efficiently tackling' our PM should have said 'efficiently handling' corruption wink.png

Edited by rubl
  • Like 2

It has such a hold on society that if would take something immense to put it into reverse. The people who are beneficiaries dont want it to stop do they? The Corruption outfit set up sort this out, well, how are they doing, far be it for me to say but have they become a new arm of the body of the problem? But its really hard to see how they can make serious progress, what is really needed is some sort of Eliot Ness and the Untouchables to make an impact and then it would get bloody and worse before it got better.

Everyone tells you want you hear, the reality is likely to be somewhat different I suspect.

Edited by nong38

Not blaming any particular government here, but in the 12 years I've been in Thailand things have clearly gotten worse. And most disturbingly, tolerance of corruption seems to be increasing."M"

The biggest change I have noticed is actually very small. When referring to corruption cases the letter "M" in million has been replaced by a "B"

Corruption is at every level in Thai society so I fail to see how it can be eradicated. I mean, have you ever heard a Thai person complain about corruption? I think it takes a certain amount of anger to fight corruption, and Thais don't have it in their belief system to confront it. In fact, where wealth is concerned, by any means necessary seems to be the unspoken truth in Thailand.

What saddens me is when I occasionally hear from my old Thai supervisor who runs a department in a school. She gets promoted because the previous director siphons off the funds meant for the students. It's rampant. I'd like to think these people are fired, but I think they just find jobs in new schools and do the same thing.

• Like 1

It may be true that too many people 'benefit' from corruption to see or hope for really ending it. But, it's not happiness...any happiness anyone claims through gains by way of corrupt actions are shallow lies. Corruption is basically selfishness and the mistreatment of one's fellow human beings. The consequences of this are not happiness...it's a false victory.

My corruption 'mantra' is that the measure of Thai legitimacy in ending corruption is whether and to what extent undercover sting operations are employed. They would be the most effective in Thailand. However, I've never ONCE heard or read about the use of sting operations to deal with corruption. Until then, corruption will continue unabated in Thailand.

The problem with any sting operation is finding someone that is not corrupt to run the operation, and stopping anyone that is corrupt from finding out.

These well intentioned folks in the picture represent a propaganda opportunity for having us think that Thailand is actually doing something to disrupt and curtail rampant corruption, graft, bribery, preferential violation of law with imounity and all the things that continue to represent the character of Thailand.

Should be captioned, "Sure we can eradicate corruption but we're going to need a little something on the side to make it happen."

• Like 1

It may be true that too many people 'benefit' from corruption to see or hope for really ending it. But, it's not happiness...any happiness anyone claims through gains by way of corrupt actions are shallow lies. Corruption is basically selfishness and the mistreatment of one's fellow human beings. The consequences of this are not happiness...it's a false victory.

My corruption 'mantra' is that the measure of Thai legitimacy in ending corruption is whether and to what extent undercover sting operations are employed. They would be the most effective in Thailand. However, I've never ONCE heard or read about the use of sting operations to deal with corruption. Until then, corruption will continue unabated in Thailand.

The problem with any sting operation is finding someone that is not corrupt to run the operation, and stopping anyone that is corrupt from finding out.

You mean like when an IT piracy raid is about to go down the CIO receives a phone call so all the PCs can be booted to Linux, sent out for repair, or have their HDDs removed?

Edited by arrowsdawdle

Actually it is not hard to find BIB sting operations against drug dealers. That's how they trap them. However it may well be the case that the sting ops are as corrupt as the perps.

I suspect that using the sting method in major corruption cases would put those involved at risk of their lives. One only has to look at the number of small-time opponents of big business projects who are shot or mysteriously disappear.

Well, aren't they off to a good start with a web site that has no English capability? Isn't that a little corrupt in itself?

A bit of a stretch, but insofar as it hints at TH's lack of transparency - at ALL levels - I can agree.

When you work with people who recoil when you even gently ask their name, there is no hope. Nobody takes responsibility for their actions here which is why they get away so easily with what they do.

But if Thailand was like Singapore- where almost everyone's on the grid, a good chunk of your income is taken out to keep the smooth-running machinery oiled, and you can't get ***** for pennies on the dollar because the laws are actually enforced, would we still want to live here?

Really, if you are a corrupt civil servant, acquiring illegal money daily to spend as you please, why would you stop? I can't think of a larger problem to tackle and put a stop to. I hope they can stop the graft & corruption, but if you are holding your breath, you are going to die from lack of oxygen.

A few days ago the 'World Justice Project' released their quantitive index of many countries' 'Rule of Law' http://worldjusticep...le-of-law-index. This was mentioned in the Thai media, where it was presented as if Thailand was in the middle in most categories, and on par with neighbours and countries with similar income level.

One category was 'Absence of corruption'. What apperently no-one bothered to do, was look at the actual underlying data and subcategories. And for the corruption part it is very frigthening: Although the total score for Thailand for absence of corruption is a 0.41 (1 being the best), which is already rather poor, the specific subcategory '2.4 Government officials in the legislative branch do not use public office for private gain' scored a 0.06 !! http://worldjusticep...ountry/thailand. Of all the countries looked at, only Ukraine managed to score lower than Thailand.

Good post, great links, thanks. Now the post needs forwarding to 'The Nation' and the other paper that cannot be mentioned.