Inebriate Russian Tourists Attacked And Robbed On Pattaya Beach

Rimmer

Inebriate Russian tourists attacked and robbed on Pattaya Beach

Pattaya: a violent, convicted murderer was arrested by city Police after he was found to be in possession of a knuckle duster, following a vicious attack on Russian tourists on early Friday morning.

Pattaya Police were quick to arrest the 29 year old man from Petchabun, after 2 Russian tourists reported an attack on beach road which left them seriously injured.

The Russian pair of friends had finished a heavy night on Walking Street and decided to saunter along the beach, with a bottle of whisky to finish off the night. As they sat drinking, three local nationals came to befriend them, or the bottle.

Their newly found pals, however, quickly tried to grab a necklace from one of the tourists, which broke during an initial struggle.

The 18 and 33 year old Tourists were severely beaten, and left with head and body injuries. Both described as intoxicated, neither could speak any other language than Russian which didn’t help, but they did manage to reach a motor cycle taxi driver and asked him to call the authorities.

Police and medical services attended and, after first aid, Police questioned other people the area without any result and the two Russian men were not able to give any description as they were alcoholically incapable of coherent speech.

Police searching the area came across Maroot Janhoom, a 29 year old Petchabun man, as he wandered Soi 13. A quick check showed that he was carrying a stolen ID card and a knuckle duster, checking his hands it was obvious that he had just been in a fight.

Full story:http://www.pattaya10...ist-attack-rob/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-12-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Like 1

looks like two out of three got away so I wouldnt say the police did that good a job. how are those police video cameras working that they cut the trees down for? not I suspect, or they are too lazy to look?

Edited by wans

Given that he is only 29 now, how old would he have been when he carried out more than one murder (as per the report)?? And how long could he have served for these murders??

Given that life sentances or even the death sentence can be handed down for drug offences, it would seem that some can get off lighter for murder!

hope they execute the <deleted> ...and im serious ...consider the tourist industry ...he is a loser and the quicker they get rid of him the better ....

theres a lot about, for example the street guy that throws rocks at people, often in front of policemen, its Thai culture to accept these kinds of people, as far as I can tell

It is easy to realise why so much crime goes on.

Anyone caught doesn't serve long enough, or at all, or escapes whilst on bail or gets released early/too soon after all the fuss dies down or bribes to stay out/reduced incarceration. Then they rob, murder, pimp and do drugs - whatever their speciality is - all over again. Anyone noticed how many offenders have a previous criminal history, but are once again free, recently released from jail, on bail, paid a fine/bribe only. Hear it all the time as most criminals serve their sentence, or far too much of it, outside jail rather than inside.

Simply, if someone were to look at conviction rates, followed by absconding on bail rates, followed by time served compared to sentence given. All of these would go a long way to explaining what goes wrong after the initial crime and headline news.

Most offenders are quietly put back on the streets far too soon, if they ever even left them!

Would make for an excellent article if a journalist dug out a handfull of old crimes and convictions and did a little "where are they now" piece coupled with data on those out on bail (often convicted of big crimes) who unsurprisingly abscond. This is imho a laugh a minute justice system.

Edited by twix38

It is easy to realise why so much crime goes on.

Anyone caught doesn't serve long enough, or at all, or escapes whilst on bail or gets released early/too soon after all the fuss dies down or bribes to stay out/reduced incarceration. Then they rob, murder, pimp and do drugs - whatever their speciality is - all over again. Anyone noticed how many offenders have a previous criminal history, but are once again free, recently released from jail, on bail, paid a fine/bribe only. Hear it all the time as most criminals serve their sentence, or far too much of it, outside jail rather than inside.

Simply, if someone were to look at conviction rates, followed by absconding on bail rates, followed by time served compared to sentence given. All of these would go a long way to explaining what goes wrong after the initial crime and headline news.

Most offenders are quietly put back on the streets far too soon, if they ever even left them!

Would make for an excellent article if a journalist dug out a handfull of old crimes and convictions and did a little "where are they now" piece coupled with data on those out on bail (often convicted of big crimes) who unsurprisingly abscond. This is imho a laugh a minute justice system.

I think that part of the problem is that its illegal to report on sentencing, as far as I know. that why there are lots of arrests and then nothing. I suppose they have to do that because it wouldnt look good in the international press to see so many people buying their way out, among other things Edited by wans

wans,

well that news further makes my point. I didn't realise it's illegal to report on sentencing. Can there be a valid reason for that? What is offered to explain this by Thai authorities?

So much general crime, let alone the high profile big cases, is caused by the volume of offenders simply put back on the streets by whatever method or not even taken off the streets in the first place.

Edited by twix38

wans,

well that news further makes my point. I didn't realise it's illegal to report on sentencing. Can there be a valid reason for that? What is offered to explain this by Thai authorities?

So much general crime, let alone the high profile big cases, is caused by the volume of offenders simply put back on the streets by whatever method or not even taken off the streets in the first place.

I think its due to the judges discussion being considered beyond reproach, or something along those lines Edited by wans

wans,

I think its due to the judges discussion being considered beyond reproach, or something along those lines

Absolute rubbish, it is not illegal to report on sentencing, there are many reports in the local media, including English language media, in Thailand on the sentence passed by a judge.

wans,

I think its due to the judges discussion being considered beyond reproach, or something along those lines

Absolute rubbish, it is not illegal to report on sentencing, there are many reports in the local media, including English language media, in Thailand on the sentence passed by a judge.

its not so absolute when I said maybe, however I dont recall ever seeing a follow up on any of the arrests reported on this forum, is their some reason for that? can you give us some links to some?

wans,

Who would the discussion be with?

wans,

its not so absolute when I said maybe, however I dont recall ever seeing a follow up on any of the arrests reported on this forum, is their some reason for that? can you give us some links to some?

Do not see the word 'maybe" in your posts, must of overlooked. However, you're right there is little follow up on street crime stories only the initial arrest. You can always go to the provincial court in Jomtien to watch the proceeds and sentencing; it's not held in secret. Some of the major crimes are covered when sentencing is announced such as the recent murder of a tourist during a robbery in Phuket. Alternatively the police who tortured & murdered a guy of 17 during the war of drugs under Thaksin. Some police received a death sentence & some life in prison & then were given bail whilst appealing their sentences, witness protection was cancelled upon their conviction and release on appeal; covered in detail by the Thai & English language press. As some people say TIT. Google is your friend for more detail...

Edited by simple1

Do not see the word 'maybe" in your posts, must of overlooked. However, you're right there is little follow up on street crime stories only the initial arrest. You can always go to the provincial court in Jomtien to watch the proceeds and sentencing; it's not held in secret. Some of the major crimes are covered when sentencing is announced such as the recent murder of a tourist during a robbery in Phuket. Alternatively the police who tortured & murdered a guy of 17 during the war of drugs under Thaksin. Some police received a death sentence & some life in prison & then were given bail whilst appealing their sentences, witness protection was cancelled upon their conviction and release on appeal; covered in detail by the Thai & English language press. As some people say TIT. Google is your friend for more detail...

take this case as an example then, he will appear in court and be sentenced on monday, if not this morning. Im pretty sure that despite some interest being shown here and his arrest being reported in all the local media there will be no report anywhere as to what the sentence is. I believe it was a volunteer policeman that told me the sentencing was done in private and the details not released. I dont know but what I do know is that reporting on sentencing is a revenue earner for the papers and there must be something preventing them from reporting on it. Edited by wans

take this case as an example then, he will appear in court and be sentenced on monday, if not this morning. Im pretty sure that despite some interest being shown here and his arrest being reported in all the local media there will be no report anywhere as to what the sentence is. I believe it was a volunteer policeman that told me the sentencing was done in private and the details not released. I dont know but what I do know is that reporting on sentencing is a revenue earner for the papers and there must be something preventing them from reporting on it.

What the volunteer police was telling you is a lot of criminal penalties (money) are negotiated with the police, sometimes in conjunction with a lawyer, who then do not proceed to write up a report or lessen the severity of the charges for the police prosecutor to present to the Court. In other words you pay "compensation" money to the police or via your lawyer. If not enough money to satisfy the police you are usually held at the police cells in Soi 9, the report is written up, proceed to Court & bail is set. No money for bail then go to the Remand Center near Pattaya (really a prison) until the case is heard. If a fine is set (not a prison sentence) and you cannot pay, go to prison until paid. The bail amounts for drug offenses are printed in English & Thai and posted at the provincial court in Jomtien.

Regards the media there are a couple of local English language media outlets in Pattaya who are sponsors of this forum, why not ask them why in most cases they don't bother to report sentences for cases heard at the Court.

Edited by simple1