Nothing Ever Turns Up In The Post In This Country

hotandhumid

I have had a many parcels sent from Germany to Thailand to myself and my wife in the Eesarn. Never was anything missing. I always used the original post office sticker, but added a self-made sticker that showed the adress in Thai script as well. I took a photo of this Thai adress sticker, printed it and gave some of them to my Mom for use when mailing another parcel. Seems that helps a lot. And parcel always gets sent to my wife's name, never to Mr. alias Farang Keeniauw . . .

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they have machines that can read if cash is in an envellope.

So how would that work then ? or are we now in the Twilight zone of conspriacy theories....where in the xenophobic Thai post office in its attempt to scam money out of the farangs has cunningly installed a "magic" box in all its offices to identify whose mummys from overseas have put money in the Christmas cards for their darling little boys and girls..

one assumes said magic box also identifies the currency conderned and calculates the current exchange rate against the THB, so Somchai the postal worker knows exactly what sort of "tip" he is getting for Xmas ?...rolleyes.gif

I don't know, Soutpeel, but all I do know is every time I sent a few hundred baht in an envelope it never arrived, even if the address was written in Thai. We did it just as a test from a post office in Pattaya when we first heard about mail going missing. We just figured they had a scanner that could pick up anything metallic in an envelope. I think currency has something metallic in it to prevent counterfeiting.

Money sniffer dog?

Yeah if it has coke residue on it...laugh.png

I have had a few items go missing and I believe that it was due not only posted to a Farang in English writing but also had stamps not franked.

Maybe there is a stamp collector in the Post Office or light fingered personal. I do also have the same problem as another TV member in that post is never delivered to my house but to my wife's sister who lives about 50 metres away, and nobody ever signs for EMS or registered mail Long walk for postie!!

I have never had any franked mail go missing!! Now from the UK i get my mail registered even though cost is fairly high. The Thai mail though does seem hit and miss as regards time as I rarely get my True Visions catologue before the 7th of the month (still waiting for it this month) and sometimes as long as the 18th of the month. Funny though that I get my True Visions bill very early!!

Sent one smallish box and a letter to UK, both sent same time by EMS. Tracked it to airport in Bangkok then contacted Parcel Force and Royal mail. Took 6 days to get from Bangkok to UK airport for one, the other a day later!! In total took 10 days for first one to arrive

Maybe the problem lies with expats and not the postal service in any particular country. I wonder if there are obnoxious foreigners living in Switzerland, asking if stealing parcels is part of Christian culture?

Good one, inthepink. That last sentence may sound silly, but it's exactly what Mr. hotandhumid would say.

Been waiting around 5-6 weeks now.

Why do people keep suggesting I go to the post office, so if i went down there and complained they would say 'oh hold on sir here it is, it was sitting here'...it would be a complete waste of time and don't bother telling me any different either...and besides I don't live in the jungle, I'm in Pattaya, I don't have a 'local' PO, so how would I know what PO to go to anyway...

I'm sure it would be relatively easy to find out where your local post office is. As to why you would go there, well it would be stupid not to really. If there was something wrong with the way your mail is being addressed and it managed to get to Pattaya but not to your home, where do you think it might be right now? Surely it's worth checking?

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 1

I'm sure it would be relatively easy to find out where your local post office is. As to why you would go there, well it would be stupid not to really. If there was something wrong with the way your mail is being addressed and it managed to get to Pattaya but not to your home, where do you think it might be right now? Surely it's worth checking?

If I go down to my local post office (you're assuming that is the post office the parcel would go to) and my parcel is sitting on the shelf gathering dust Iwill give you baht 50,000

It isn't being addrressed wrongly, believe me that is NOT the reason.

Edited by hotandhumid

I have had occasion to go to a two sorting offices, not post offices, in Thailand. On both occasions they were helpful and I achieved what I set out to achieve. Give it a whirl, hotandhumid, you never know, you might find the answer to your mystery.

Remember, go to the sorting office, not the post office.

Edited by Briggsy

If I go down to my local post office (you're assuming that is the post office the parcel would go to) and my parcel is sitting on the shelf gathering dust Iwill give you baht 50,000

It isn't being addrressed wrongly, believe me that is NOT the reason.

I'm not assuming anything. I did once go to my local post office and they had a parcel for me. Admittedly, I have no way of knowing if it had coincidentally just turned up that day (as they told me) and I guess it could have got stuck at a larger sorting office but if you don't even enquire you'll never know.

I send letters and parcels, also order many things from e bay at sucess rate is almost 100% and only once had to pay duty. The business i had meant sending dozens of packages per week world wide and nearly all arrived according to feedback. mY bank statements arrive every month from the UK along with c/c statement.

I use PO BOX for parcels but letters still come through ok.

Applies to living in Samui and Near Pattaya

Just my experience but cant fault them and certainly upto UK standard.

Edited by marstons

I've had nothing really to complain about with the Thai postal service except for a period of about 6 weeks earlier this year when I received no mail at all for that period of time. I decided to send some mail to myself to establish if the problem was a local one or not. I made sure I got receipts for these letters addressed to myself and when they didn't arrive I went into the post office and confronted the manager.

It turned out that my postman had had a motorbike accident and had fractured his wrist and had been on the sick for that period of time. It appeared that no mail had been delivered in the area of that postman's round. I was amazed that the area hadn't been covered by someone else. My mail was piled up at the desk where the postman would normally sit and sort the mail out for his round. The manager apologised and I knew that he had lost face in the fact that he hadn't 'managed' the situation. Anyway, all is back to normal since my postman is back at work.

I wonder if the OP's post office is experiencing something similar?

Yep! hotandhumid definitely needs to go to the sorting office.

He really needs to chill out and remember where he is, hot headed obnoxious behavior gets you nowhere over here, he wont listen or take the advice given to him on here no has he visited the post office or sorting office responsible for his address. he has already made up his mind its the Thais fault yet he doesn't even know if the mail has even arrived in the country...

Edited by Tafia
  • Like 1

Just about everybody on this thread believes it is possible that your post is being nicked.

But just about nobody on this thread understands why you won't try to do some simple stuff to sort it out. It is really easy.

Just about everybody on this thread believes it is possible that your post is being nicked.

But just about nobody on this thread understands why you won't try to do some simple stuff to sort it out. It is really easy.

No it's not eady at all is it....if I went down to the post office or even the sorting office as some are suggesting (ha ha) it would be a complete and utter waste of time, anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded...

Why do people keep suggesting I go to the post office, so if i went down there and complained they would say 'oh hold on sir here it is, it was sitting here'...it would be a complete waste of time and don't bother telling me any different either...and besides I don't live in the jungle, I'm in Pattaya, I don't have a 'local' PO, so how would I know what PO to go to anyway...

There has to be a local PO / sorting centre somewhere that is responsible for handling deliveries in your area, or are you suggesting that your locale is an area of Thailand that is not served by the Thai postal service at all? If you want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth you should your local amphoe / tesaban office and ask them where the post office is, although taxi drivers and Thais who are likely to use the postal system (such as certain business) are also quite likely to know.

Taking it up with the post office might alert the manager to possible theft that is going on under his watch, and he might take steps to redress if that is the case. Whatever the case, if you can get a Thai to make an official complaint in tandem to yours there is a chance that you might see some results as the Thai postal service is now a government-owned private enterprise, which means employees are as sackable as any employee in the private sector.

Edited by Trembly

No it's not eady at all is it....if I went down to the post office or even the sorting office as some are suggesting (ha ha) it would be a complete and utter waste of time, anyone who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded...

You're the one who is seriously deluded. Instead of trying to sort the problem out in a rational manner, you would rather make stupid comments in an online forum about Buddhist culture and accuse anybody who has no problem with the postal system of being a tv nerd (whatever that means). Seems you just like to make inaccurate generalisations and don't like it when others disagree with you. Edited by inthepink
  • Like 1

How do you know it will be a waste of time until you do it?

How do you know the mail is in Thailand?

You have read other peoples stories and advice and chosen to ignore it and insult those who are trying to assist you.

You are the one who seems deluded. Instead of complaining on here go and try to sort it out!!

I see this thread has brought out all the tv nerds and the houllier than thou brigade.

Oh to be so perfect....

TV Nerds and holier than thou?? Hey its your mail just disregard the advice and go stew somewhere else over it!!

I'm starting to think Troll...opens a thread to complain gets advice and everybody is wrong but him...if he was serious about finding out where his mail is, he would have done so by now!

Edited by Tafia

Hi H&H,

I have never had anything go missing from the UK to me (so far) touch wood. However, my sister-in-law was losing every other parcel that was sent to her at one point in time.

Apparently, the post offices here will appoint local distribution 'people' who have parcels and letters delivered in one large consignment to their house. It is then their job to deliver this stuff to you - needless to say, this is NOT checked by the post office, so anything can happen to the parcels/letters that have been left with said person.

In our case, the lady who was supposed to be delivering the parcels was opening them all and keeping the 'good' contents for herself. We ended up going to the post office in person (about 10 times) and eventually found out what was going on!

Eventually, this lady was caught red-handed and everything else fell into place (there had been other complaints too). The post office asked if my sister-in-law wanted to press charges and she declined.

As far as I know, this woman is still 'delivering' parcels for them as per normal...!? Who knows if other parcels are still going missing!? TiT

You might want to get a Thai speaker (who can argue your point at the post office - wife maybe?) to go down and demand to know where the parcels have gone (and if they are being 're-delivered' by someone else). I don't supposed any of them were tracked were they? Even 'Signed For' from the Royal Mail has a number you can use for tracking.

Like I say though, I receive many parcels/letters from overseas and they have always arrived!? I don't think I am that lucky, so there must be something else going on with your mail...??!

Cheers,

M

Hi H&H,

I have never had anything go missing from the UK to me (so far) touch wood. However, my sister-in-law was losing every other parcel that was sent to her at one point in time.

Apparently, the post offices here will appoint local distribution 'people' who have parcels and letters delivered in one large consignment to their house. It is then their job to deliver this stuff to you - needless to say, this is NOT checked by the post office, so anything can happen to the parcels/letters that have been left with said person.

In our case, the lady who was supposed to be delivering the parcels was opening them all and keeping the 'good' contents for herself. We ended up going to the post office in person (about 10 times) and eventually found out what was going on!

Eventually, this lady was caught red-handed and everything else fell into place (there had been other complaints too). The post office asked if my sister-in-law wanted to press charges and she declined.

As far as I know, this woman is still 'delivering' parcels for them as per normal...!? Who knows if other parcels are still going missing!? TiT

You might want to get a Thai speaker (who can argue your point at the post office - wife maybe?) to go down and demand to know where the parcels have gone (and if they are being 're-delivered' by someone else). I don't supposed any of them were tracked were they? Even 'Signed For' from the Royal Mail has a number you can use for tracking.

Like I say though, I receive many parcels/letters from overseas and they have always arrived!? I don't think I am that lucky, so there must be something else going on with your mail...??!

Cheers,

M

I reckon you should have pressed charges, then she might not still be doing that job . . .