International Bankers Draft For Uk Passport Renewal In Hk.

bigwilly

For anyone renewing a British Passport Via Hong Kong, if you dont have a credit card and need an International Bankers draft paid in HK Dollars, dont waste your time doing the legwork round all the banks, the Bangkok Bank Naklua did mine today, just up the steps into the bank first desk on your left, number 10 with the sign Remittance's hanging above. The lady was very efficient, no passport or documentation required, just fill in the form, name address, amount and of course payable to the British Consulate General Hong Kong.

200Bt service fee applied.

Regards BW.

• Like 1

HYKU1147.

I am not sure how long it will take, they say to allow up to 4 weeks. I will post after It comes back, I will use DHL as they have a special deal 2 way courier to HK and Back. Photos are a pain too, Kodak shop in Soi Theprasit got the size and background coulour right but when I got home I noticed the photos are slightly matt finish! I will try again today for plain white photographic paper as required.

BW.

Send just a copy.

In section 7 you can put something like...............I have sent the copy of my passport photo page as requested and as the law in Thailand requires me to be able to show my passport at any time....i have kept the passport and will continue to use until i receive my new one.

Big Willy what is the correct size tongue.png

Background colour has to be white or cream yes? i thought a Matt finish was ok do they have to be glossy?

Hello again,

As I understand British passport renewals from within Thailand are still done via Hong Kong, they process the paperwork, then the Passport is despatched from the UK to HK then back to the applicant. A photo copy of the details page is all you need to enclose along with 2 photos and the application form. Also bear in mind on receipt of you application in HK,the passport is cancelled and can not be used, but is retained by the holder untill the replacement arrives. Photo size 35 x 45mm, head size 29-34mm. must have grey or cream background on plain white photographic paper. It seems matt finish photos dont scan too good. I got good photos today from Kodak shop Jomtien Beach Rd, she was happy to play around and get the right size and they look fine to me. I personaly didn't want to take a chance paying by Debit card (I have TMB and Kasikorn) why? because even In Pattaya occasionaly they are sometimes declined. Bankers draft seems a safer option for me.

BW.

Edited by bigwilly

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year.

Just an update, my UK passport application was despatched from DHL Pattaya on Dec 12 2012, DHL tracking showed receipt in HK the following day, it was returned to me today Jan 1st 2013 by DHL courier, it seems the passport application is received in HK and approved, the Passport was actually made and issued in the UK and returned by DHL. About a 20 day turnaround seems quite good, as the only supporting document sent was a photocopy of my expiring passport, there would be nothing to return from HK.

Wishing a safe festive season to all.

big willy.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Got my draft from the Naklua branch today. Very efficient, quick, friendly, and efficient staff.

Thanks for the tip BW.

Your welcome it is always nice to share around helpfull bits of info.

BWsmile.png

Quick update for members, just went to the BKK Bank Naklua branch, was told she would not issue the bankers draft unless I had a BKK Bank account at that branch.

Went to SCB , Beach Road branch, they did it no problem, very helpful staff in that branch.

I know many of us can't/won't get credit cards but there's alternatives.

Many debit cards/atm cards can be used as a credit card too, I've used KBank's debit card number for many online shopping place that doesn't accept debit cards.

KBank also offers a virtual credit card called K-Web Shopping Card that's tied to a debit card/account, and this card number will be recognized as a proper credit card, and even has credit card facilities like charge dispute that affords you more protection than just using debit card alone.

granted, when buying things like flight tickets or hotels that will require you to present the actual card when checking-in you won't be able to since the card is virtual. But in my uses so far, I haven't got into trouble booking hotels with the virtual card yet.

Bangkok Bank debit card's supposed to be able to be used in this manner also; but I haven't found them to be 100% accepted at the places that I use

Edited by brummiebob