Murder Charge Against Thailand Ex-Premier Abhisit Designed To Force Compromise

webfact

Murder Charge Against Thailand Ex-Premier Designed to Force Compromise

Lennox Samuels

BANGKOK: -- No one expects former PM Abhisit Vejjajiva to be convicted, but his opponents apparently hope it breaks their political logjam—and the return of exiled leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

It is at once bizarre, slightly surreal, and somewhat Kafkaesque: The most recent ex-prime minister of Thailand, Abhisit Vejjajiva, and one of his former deputy premiers, Suthep Thaugsuban, charged with the killing of a taxi driver during the political unrest that rocked the country more than two years ago. The charges were announced the day after the 85th birthday of the nation’s beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The cab driver, Phan Khampong, 44, was shot to death in May 2010 by soldiers who opened fire as he was walking on the street. Abhisit and Suthep are charged because at the time they were, respectively, prime minister and director of the Center for Resolution of the Emergency Situation, a command formed to resolve the weeks-long protests by so-called Red Shirts, anti-government Thais who had taken over Bangkok’s central business district.

Abhisit’s Democrat party sees the charges as politically driven, and the PM says he was merely discharging his duty to maintain law and order. “Democrat spokesmen think the evidence linked to Abhisit is not substantiated by any court,” former Abhisit spokesman Panitan Wattanayagorn told The Daily Beast. “It’s unprecedented to charge two top policymakers, including the former prime minister, like this.” He likened the situation to charging President Obama with crimes in connection with his lawful execution of his role as commander-in-chief.

Full story: http://www.thedailyb...compromise.html

-- The Daily Beast 2012-12-08

footer_n.gif

Will the DSI investigate, the thousands of people that were killed, by police, during the Thaksin administration? How about the two attempted killings of PM Adhisit by Red Shirts, or the attach on foreign diplomats in Phatahya. Did PM Somchai order the killing of the Yellow shirt people, at parlement house and Don Muang?,

PTP have small minds. Do they really think that eliminating Abhisit & Suthep will make the Dems accept Thaksin's whitewash?

I strongly suspect it would make the opposition even stronger & have even more motivation to fight PTP's opaque plans.

It would make the PAD, multi-coloureds & Boonlert's group more determined too.

The administration of this country is going to pause again (just like they did in the middle of the floods last year) while all hands are on the whitewash deck as well as the constitutional amendments.

Finally some good news....the oily Abhisit held accountable for the massacre, although I'm sure the chances of him hanging or even seeing the inside of a jail cell are slim indeed...and if the judges grant bail to policemen on death row bail for murdering a man, then the chances might be even slimmer.

I'd have a bit more time for the anti-Thaksin crowd if they were to campaign for him to be held accountable for ordering the extra-judicial murders of the drug dealers, but yellow shirt supporters seem to be a bit quiet about this...maybe because they supported the action?

• Like 1

Finally some good news....the oily Abhisit held accountable for the massacre, although I'm sure the chances of him hanging or even seeing the inside of a jail cell are slim indeed...and if the judges grant bail to policemen on death row bail for murdering a man, then the chances might be even slimmer.

I'd have a bit more time for the anti-Thaksin crowd if they were to campaign for him to be held accountable for ordering the extra-judicial murders of the drug dealers, but yellow shirt supporters seem to be a bit quiet about this...maybe because they supported the action?

Not sure how much TV you read but there are heaps of posters, many of who could be labelled yellow shirt supporters, stating that Mr T should be held accountable for the deaths of so called drug dealers. At the time though a poll did show the majority of Thais were in favour of the action but of course this does not make it right.

Edited by Valentine

Maybe you should do some reading. k. Abhisit is to be charged for the murder of the taxi driver who run out of the house to see who was shooting and run into a bullet doing so. The bullet fired by army personel who were shooting at a van.

As for the massacre, really ugly pictures those with soldiers, police, vanderGrift having been wounded or killed by grenade shrapnel. Don't worry, I'll not post them again.

Below is the image that to my mind epitomizes the current P.T.P. coalition maladministration succinctly. Now we can understand why these trumped up rigged charges are proposed. Their performance and actions taken to facilitate the return of their despotic paymaster are indeed pitiful

the_oozlum_bird_by_maverickpixelmage-d3kn2so.png

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Will the DSI investigate, the thousands of people that were killed, by police, during the Thaksin administration? How about the two attempted killings of PM Adhisit by Red Shirts, or the attach on foreign diplomats in Phatahya. Did PM Somchai order the killing of the Yellow shirt people, at parlement house and Don Muang?,

it.s a rediculouscharge that will just waste everybodys time and probabley loads of cash will go to a bunch of lawyers, but thats no reason for you tou spout off like a blubbering baby , GROW UP

Maybe you should do some reading. k. Abhisit is to be charged for the murder of the taxi driver who run out of the house to see who was shooting and run into a bullet doing so. The bullet fired by army personel who were shooting at a van.

As for the massacre, really ugly pictures those with soldiers, police, vanderGrift having been wounded or killed by grenade shrapnel. Don't worry, I'll not post them again.

Lol. Did I just read some one say that a guy is responsible for his own death because he ran into a bullet.

What is mv for a .223 how how many feet per second does a taxi driver run and was he even at full sprint. Lol, that is rhetorical so no need to respond because just doesn't matter.

I suppose it is possible that the taxi driver was a super hero looking for a telephone booth within which to change so perhaps he could out run a speeding bullet. One fast enough to run into a bullet should also be fast enough to outrun a speeding bullet.

I cannot believe criminal defense attorneys in US are not more successful with the he ran into path of bullet defense.

i would see it as murder charge against abhisit/suthep designed to get at abhisit/suthep.

i see nothing wrong with him being grilled on everything with regards to his involvement, we don't know enough about the details and level of his involvement,

though unfortunately i'm not so sure this will make it any clearer.

i suppose we can compare it to the censure debate, they know it won't stick but at least he'll have to answer difficult questions.

ptp know it won't stick, this isn't a bargaining tool, it's simply to get at him.

and it's also to show their red supporters a symbolic image, if nothing else.

Edited by nurofiend
  • Like 1

i would see it as murder charge against abhisit/suthep designed to get at abhisit/suthep.

i see nothing wrong with him being grilled on everything with regards to his involvement, we don't know enough about the details and level of his involvement,

i suppose we can compare it to the censure debate, they know it won't stick but at least he'll have to answer difficult questions.

ptp know it won't stick, this isn't a bargaining tool, it's simply to get at him.

And of course when this has no more mileage left to hinder Abhisit and Suthep,PTP will dream up something else. As the old saying goes:"The best plan of defence is attack"

Great. Charge a prime minister for a death. Why don't we go after George Bush and Dick Cheney for Iraq too.

Some people did try. However, a convincing case could not be made under the applicable laws. More importantly, the successor US government did not wish to bring charges. In this matter, the Thai laws do allow for charges to be brought and the successor government apparently supports such charges.

An accusation does not mean that the charges will be substantiated, nor is it an indication that Mr. Abhisit will be judged guilty if the charges ever come to court. There are also very different characteristics of the cases. The USA allegations relate to injury against non US citizens in a foreign locale, whereas the injured parties in the Thai case are Thai nationals injured in Thailand.

Making allegations against a government official in cases like this is not unusual. We saw this in the multiple investigations against the Thaksin government with the drug cartel crackdown. I doubt that the charges against Mr. Abhisit will stick unless there is overwhelming evidence and some highly placed people give testimony that supports of the charges. If government officials from the Abhisit government do testify against Mr. Abhisit, the action has far greater implications. It means that there is tacit support in the military to get rid of him. A Thai government can only bring such a case so far before there is push back from the military. As well, having a PM accused of such crimes is a national embarrassment. There are those in the current government that are opposed to such an investigation as they fear it harms the institution of government. Justice is not the priority for some.

I am willing to predict that the only way to make the charges stick is if Abhisit's own allies give him up. If they do, or if he is forced to resign as Democrat leader, we will see a political shift in the country and perhaps a viable alternative to the PTP will emerge.

And of course when this has no more mileage left to hinder Abhisit and Suthep,PTP will dream up something else. As the old saying goes:"The best plan of defence is attack"

yes, and i hope you admit that both sides are guilty of that.

Lol. Did I just read some one say that a guy is responsible for his own death because he ran into a bullet.

What is mv for a .223 how how many feet per second does a taxi driver run and was he even at full sprint. Lol, that is rhetorical so no need to respond because just doesn't matter.

I suppose it is possible that the taxi driver was a super hero looking for a telephone booth within which to change so perhaps he could out run a speeding bullet. One fast enough to run into a bullet should also be fast enough to outrun a speeding bullet.

I cannot believe criminal defense attorneys in US are not more successful with the he ran into path of bullet defense.

The 'run into a bullet' may have been a bit of embellishment, but seems close to the truth. From articles about the criminal court verdict on the 17th of September, 2012.

"Phan Kamkong, 43, was caught in a volley of gunfire when he ran out of a central Bangkok apartment block to see what was happening after hearing soldiers open fire at a minibus that had strayed into an area under army control, a Thai criminal court found."

"Phan Khamkong was shot dead between 12.05am and 1am on May 16. He was shot in the left chest and the bullet also pierced his right arm."

I rest my case, your honour wai2.gif

yes, and i hope you admit that both sides are guilty of that.

In the context of the OP with 'Murder charge designed to force compromise' you need to explain why both sides are guilty of 'best plan of defence is attack' wai.gif

begin removed ...

I am willing to predict that the only way to make the charges stick is if Abhisit's own allies give him up. If they do, or if he is forced to resign as Democrat leader, we will see a political shift in the country and perhaps a viable alternative to the PTP will emerge.

Either the charge is correct, or it's not. The rest has no relation with the charges and certainly not with the OP. IMHO

begin removed ...

Either the charge is correct, or it's not. The rest has no relation with the charges and certainly not with the OP. IMHO

One does not know if the charge is correct unless there has been an investigation that establishes the facts upon which to lay the charge. The charge(s) will be proven correct in court if there is evidence to substantiate the charge(s).

As I wrote, in order to make the charges stick, someone from his government is going to have to testify in support of the allegations. If the wall of defiance starts to disintegrate, then the charges have serious implications for the political future of Mr. Abhisit.

begin removed ...

One does not know if the charge is correct unless there has been an investigation that establishes the facts upon which to lay the charge. The charge(s) will be proven correct in court if there is evidence to substantiate the charge(s).

As I wrote, in order to make the charges stick, someone from his government is going to have to testify in support of the allegations. If the wall of defiance starts to disintegrate, then the charges have serious implications for the political future of Mr. Abhisit.

Still not correct, dear GK. The charge is not correct on an investigation that establishes the facts upon which to lay the charge. The charge will only be proven correct when after due deliberation the court judges the charge to be correct and the accused guilty.

As the charge is murder and the verdict on the inquest says 'run out of house, got caught in volley of gunfire' a guilty verdict seems very unlikely. That's independent of any support for or against the accusations.

The suggestion on k. Abhisit's political future is just speculation which is yours and has nothing to do with what is happening. It would be similar if I would start speculating on Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm having second thoughts on getting k. Thaksin back wink.png

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

I wouldn,t think Abbisit ordered Troops to fire on Protesters, the men in Black have always had a free run, and unless they are exposed, no one will know who they where taking orders from. methinks the Royalist generals are the Baddies not Abbisit