Jazz Greats - Post Yours

uptheos

I was brought up on jazz and have loved it all my life. I notice that with the passing of Dave Brubeck, that there are a lot of jazz fans on this forum. There is still so much great stuff that I have not yet heard and would appreciate anyone interested in posting 'their particular greats'. I look forward to hearing some great music (instrumentals and vocals).

John Coltrane - Live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEgp-cckoz4

@UPTHEOS: Yep; same here (I too was brought up on jazz and have loved it all my life). Some of my all-time favorites include Dinah Washington; Ella F.; Billy H.; Eroll Garner and of more recent date, there's the absolutely fabulous Diana Krall.

In any event; if somebody can explain to me how I can get a Youtube-Flick from it's "home" into this forum, I would post a few of my favorites in a heartbeat !

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

@UPTHEOS: Yep; same here (I too was brought up on jazz and have loved it all my life). Some of my all-time favorites include Dinah Washington; Ella F.; Billy H.; Eroll Garner and of more recent date, there's the absolutely fabulous Diana Krall.

In any event; if somebody can explain to me how I can get a Youtube-Flick from it's "home" into this forum, I would post a few of my favorites in a heartbeat !

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Just copy and paste the url on any youtube clip you want..

Look at the top of your screen now, it says www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/ etc etc etc

Thats the url.

Easy.

I am just following yr directions Krisb on how to post an you-tube . My problem is everything on my You tube is in Thai and i am not that talented to read it yet and i don't know how to change it back to Anglit .Hope it works, but one my favourite jazz pieces is Gil Evans doing spoonful, an old Willie Dixon number.

http://www.youtube.c...YGRjNKonw#t=16s

Edited by xen

There's a delightful Japanese movie from a few years ago called Swing Girls

The finale is a back-to-back performance of Mexican Flyer followed by Sing Sing Sing.

Sing Sing Sing is one of my favourites.

From the OST (clean track)

and from the actual movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7N6slVrQeY

Good thread uptheos smile.png

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Just copy and paste the url on any youtube clip you want..

Look at the top of your screen now, it says www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/ etc etc etc

Thats the url.

Easy.

Oh well; goes to show you what I know . . . . . Thanks very much, mate !

'A love supreme' and various tracks from the girl singers...

I knew a girl who was no slouch as a singer but she hated Coltrane's 'A love supreme'...

she came from a small town in northern California and when she heard the opening bars of the piece she would mutter: 'blasphemous negro...'

when I said: 'what?' she replied with vehemence: 'I said that John Coltrane is a blasphemous n**ger!...what of it???!!!'...she was a large white woman with nice brown tresses and sang operatically with a compelling soprano, not suited for most popular music but right in there for folk tunes...she was about my same weight and height and I didn't take the issue any further...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Well it seems that Jazz is not as popular on this forum as the OP imagined,its a pity. I am tempted to do a "Ron 19" -- "Blasts from the Past- Avante Garde Jazz from the 60's". i am sure it would be just as popular !!!!!.

I would have loved to see this guy on the same stage as Jimi Hendrix, i think they would both have appreciated playing with their equal.

Roland Kirk,Mcoy Tyner, Stanley Clarke

Sun Ra

I have been thinking about why i don't have as many favourite Jazz tracks as i do with rock and pop. I have my favourite artists like Miles and Mingus , in particular, but i don't have the nostalgic associations with jazz. and being able to connect with time and places like i do with rock and pop . I didn't grow up with jazz as it was always viewed by my immediates as something far too exotic and bohemian . I grew into jazz as rock grew to be more tedious but listening to jazz is much more of a present tense enjoyment . Exploring jazz is much more of a musical maturity like enjoying classical or any other form of musical expression. I will enjoy it now , in the present , and then it is gone ,forever. It is very similar to looking at apiece of modern art or sculpture . Enjoy it now but I don't take it home with me because tomorrow it will be a different piece of art , and a different reflection of my moods and sense of where i am .

Incidently , Watusi , thanks for making me aware of Albert Ayler . Great stuff . Just discovered David S Ware - similar field but different.

one day in Oakland we had a musician (tenor sax) with us and we all got high and listened to some music...some how the subject of the recently released Nonesuch recording of a-capella choral Bulgarian music came up and the conversation increased in intensity...

we were all floating on heroin and thinking of getting some more and I said: 'do you think that you could replicate that exquisite vocal dissonance on an instrument?'....and he said: 'yeah...man, if you quit believing in the possibilities then the creative process stops and then, generally speaking <deleted> is the point?...'

then the roomate went out and got some more stuff...

there was a time when discussion and the music thereof was a daily occurrence...

a roomate had her daughter practicing with her tuba for the school band and she plugged her ears and complained: 'will it never stop???!!!'...then tutsi approached in high dudgeon and declared: 'do you hear what that woman is doing? she needs yer support and not yer absurd opprobrium...'

then she thew a silver teapot at me that was a family heirloom and that was subsequently damaged and there was hell to pay...

(later I straightened it out with some vice grips to everyone's satisfaction...)