Our Village Is Hi-speed Internet Ready!

penzman

After calling TOT for 2 years now, my wife has learned today that fiiiiiinally we can now have high-speed internet at home

Does this mean that we can only get the service from TOT or can subscribe with any other provider?

Is TOT high-speed reliable?

I know this subject has been discussed often but price plans and service change constantly.

Thanks

Penz :D

I will post later about the dial-up modem's microwave oven melting ceremony. :o

(I have a spare one)

Go to the local TOT office and sign up.

I suggest you try the plain TOT service first.

If it is lousy as people seem to think now, you can

ask to be connected to one of the other isp's later.

Buy your own ethernet connected modem, then there is

no argument if you change services or move house.

The ethernet version will give you a fire wall facility as well.

Edited by astral

We have TOT gold package penz, 1Mb @ 1050 baht per month unlimited download. The wife and I talk on it every night using Skype with video.

I must say we are very happy with it, haven't had a problem with it at all.

We bought an SMC ADSL Barricade 4 port ethernet + wireless modem at Tukcom for 5k.

Drop in and get a feel for it if you like mate.

We have TOT gold package penz, 1Mb @ 1050 baht per month unlimited download. The wife and I talk on it every night using Skype with video.

I must say we are very happy with it, haven't had a problem with it at all.

We bought an SMC ADSL Barricade 4 port ethernet + wireless modem at Tukcom for 5k.

Drop in and get a feel for it if you like mate.

Can he use the Internet as well. :o:D :D

Welcome to the world of Thai style high speed internet Penzman, you are now fully entitled to join the growing band of people in LOS that are not that impressed with it. :o I'm one of them, but as it's still (mostly) far better than dial up I don't complain too much about it!

Just for the fun of it, we entered our home telephone number in their online tool to see if what the TOT employee told my wife is true (area covered).

NO SERVICE IN AREA

Let's just hope that their search engine has not been updated yet. We'll call and ask again tomorrow and see if we get a different answer than today's.

Stumonster, happens that I had just read that thread before checking on this one :D

Astral, yes we're buying our own modem.

We went to tukcom this evening in Siracha and were planning on buying the modem and wireless router but I came back with a new pair of flip flops instead. :o They were fresh out of DLINK wireless routers but had plenty of PCI wireless DLINK pci cards.

There was a Belkin (unknown to me) modem/router 2 in 1 but I'm not too crazy about having both incorporated in the same box.

Does anyone know? Our HP printer/scanner/fax (OfficeJet G85) has a parallel port , 2 phone plugs and also USB at the back. Can we somehow use a device with the USB port so that the printer can be wireless as well?

I actually used the network building tool on the d-link site.

There's a tiny wireless device you can plug into the printer's parralel port.

Wife went to TOT office and we'll be connected this week-end.

Trying to figure out the best brand modem available/compatible here.

Thanks Monty, hadn't thought of that.

I'm looking at the USB wire that we use for the printer. One end is USB type A, the other end is type B(printer side).

No idea if the d-link devices have the same kind of usb ,typeB, but I guess that can be fixed with an adapter.

We went to tukcom this evening in Siracha and were planning on buying the modem and wireless router but I came back with a new pair of flip flops instead. They were fresh out of DLINK wireless routers but had plenty of PCI wireless DLINK pci cards.

There was a Belkin (unknown to me) modem/router 2 in 1 but I'm not too crazy about having both incorporated in the same box.

I'm trying to eliminate as many wires as I can.

Now you are contradicting yourself. :o

Go for the combined box. It is much easier and only one box to set up.

Be sure to set the wireless security on, or Leith and I will be sitting outside your house,

in our cars, using your expensive new internet connection.

Done Astral! :D

I was sick and tired of running right and left. We got the Belkin Modem/Router.

I'm online with TOT now. Tried downloading a file that went 3k/sec on dialup yesterday, 114 k/sec today.

:D Yippeeee (hoping this will last ( :o )!