Samui Driving 101

After five motorcycle accidents I have purchased a car that will arrive in January so I need some advice since I've never driven a car on Samui. I will have 1st class insurance (paid cash for the car) and install a camera in the front of the car. Anymore tips?

Driving questions:

1.When somebody is coming at me head on or half in my lane and half in the other (not passing someone just normal driving here) do I pull off the road, stop, flash my lights off/on with horn? If there is a building or cars on my left do I run into them to avoid the head on?

2. In every country I've driven in if you have a vehicle on your side of the road then you must stop behind it and wait until clear before going around it. I notice herre that the vehicle with the clear side seems to stop and let the other guy drive into his lane to get around. What do you do?

3. If I have an accident should I call my insurance agent and sit quietly in the car?

Helpful non-sensical advice appreciated.

It all depends on the size of your vehicle.

Ps. A dashcam is great, just make sure you know the true Thai rules first, before flashing around your video, in case of an accident. (And no, Thai rules are not the same as in the UK or Aus, they are more of a combo of New Zealand and US rules)

• Like 1

My car is a small Nissan. Three of my accidents were head on and that was why I was concerned about what to do in a car when someone was coming right at you and there was no place to go. The other two accidents were due to road conditions (rocks and holes). Am I to assume then that the larger vehicle has the right of way no matter what? With a video of someone coming at me on the wrong side of the road and with their lights off I'm sure my insurance agent will not have a problem defending that and declining to pay.

I had one accident when I lived in Samui, it was my fault or the car's fault. It was definitely the fault of the Chang Brewery!!. Good thing it was with a telephone pole in my parking lot and neither the BIB or my wife were involved!

My car is a small Nissan. Three of my accidents were head on and that was why I was concerned about what to do in a car when someone was coming right at you and there was no place to go. The other two accidents were due to road conditions (rocks and holes). Am I to assume then that the larger vehicle has the right of way no matter what? With a video of someone coming at me on the wrong side of the road and with their lights off I'm sure my insurance agent will not have a problem defending that and declining to pay.

If you are so confused please don't drive you are a danger to other road user's.

I had one accident when I lived in Samui, it was my fault or the car's fault. It was definitely the fault of the Chang Brewery!!. Good thing it was with a telephone pole in my parking lot and neither the BIB or my wife were involved!

Ah yes, that reminds me of the time when that tree backed into my car on the parking lot of the pub...

When your small Nissan has a head on collision with a large pick up truck, you don't really have to worry about your car insurance, or who was right or wrong (ever again).

Stop thinking about 'right of way', or whose fault it is or what the rules are. Just do your best to avoid the accident - even if you are 'in the right' (This is how Thais react.) The bigger vehicle (especially mini-buses, cement trucks, ice trucks and water trucks) will assume that you will get out of their way. Do not worry about the insurance company - they will sort things out as long as you keep the 1st class insurance up to date.

The best description that I have read about 'driving in Thailand' is to think as if everyone is on a canal - in boat. Thais rarely stop - preferring to keep going on either side of the road. The traffic 'flows'.

And rememeber that 90% of the time flashing your headlights means 'get out of the way'. (The other 10% are foreigners.)

hi

i had a vehicle smash repair /salvage business many years ago and the golden rule with head on collisions was

AVOID THEM AT ALL COST

as the death rate with head on collisions was/is rather high

if you have survived some already you are on borrowed time

maybe one of those huge humvees would suit you better ,or take up driving a cement truck

Driving questions:

1.When somebody is coming at me head on or half in my lane and half in the other (not passing someone just normal driving here) do I pull off the road, stop, flash my lights off/on with horn? If there is a building or cars on my left do I run into them to avoid the head on?

No...just close your eyes and breath in

2. In every country I've driven in if you have a vehicle on your side of the road then you must stop behind it and wait until clear before going around it. I notice herre that the vehicle with the clear side seems to stop and let the other guy drive into his lane to get around. What do you do?

Same as above...but swerve at last minute

3. If I have an accident should I call my insurance agent and sit quietly in the car?

No...get out and run away seems to be the preferred method in Thailand after an accident

Don't depend on other people to be responsible for you. Don't make yourself stressed out over nonsensical things like material things.

Eartha Kitt

thumbsup.gif

I think Tropic had the best advice so I will do my best to avoid any accident. By the way five accidents in eight years is a very low number on Samui. My friend came here on holiday for four months and had three accidents. It's just that I'd rather be more protected in the next one. If I were causing accidents then I would walk, but each time the Thai was on the wrong side of the road and was charged, so no reason to concern myself about my driving skills. It's all about survival on these roads so the only skill you need is evading crazy drivers.

I then question your eyesight or how fast you were going? I've been driving for 12yrs and never crashed.. Not once..

How do you not see a car coming at you on the wrong side of the road?

Have you seen the old Thais drive? The ones doing 25-30 on the side of the road..

Try this.. Then if someone is on the wrong side of the road you can easily stop or move out of the way...

If your vision isn't a problem and you aren't prone to driving too fast and you happen to crash once more in your new car I suggest you employ a driver or sell your car..

Please take it easy and try not to kill anyone or yourself..

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I then question your eyesight or how fast you were going? I've been driving for 12yrs and never crashed.. Not once..

How do you not see a car coming at you on the wrong side of the road?

Have you seen the old Thais drive? The ones doing 25-30 on the side of the road..

Try this.. Then if someone is on the wrong side of the road you can easily stop or move out of the way...

If your vision isn't a problem and you aren't prone to driving too fast and you happen to crash once more in your new car I suggest you employ a driver or sell your car..

Please take it easy and try not to kill anyone or yourself..

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

There is no reason for people to drive on the wrong side of the road

If you need to ask on a forum how to react in these situations best not to bother with a car. if you cant react to each invidual problem as it arises on instinct as its happening, especially on Samui a forum certainly aint going to help.

Edited by marstons