A Plea To Manny

Manny, you are, and still will be an icon in the Philippines, you have raised the countries image and i know you put a lot of your winnings towards local charities.The world has watched your skill with awe, and without doubt you will be a Hall of Famer.

You have the power and the finances to further improve your country, but you cannot do that with brain damage. Watching and wincing when you took that knockout just now was frightening.The tears in your wifes eyes said it all.

Aa the greatest Filipino sportsman ever, I urge you to hang up the gloves and immerse yourself and finances in politics or other worth while subjects.

Remember, a winner goes out near the top, not at the bottom of the heap.

• Like 2

Have to agree with the OP..this guy should retire b4 he gets seriously hurt.

He is a very nice guy, but he has no business being in there with world class fighters. Most of his "big" wins were against slow ageing fighters. Getting knocked out by the powder puff puncher Marquez is a big red flag and for the sake of his family, it is better to retire. He has limited skills, lunges on his overhand left punches(which is how he got countered and knocked silly), no Plan B, and now we see a glass jaw to boot. It is scary to think what Mayweather might do to him, or imagine someone like Ward...There are also many Thai fighers who are better than him. It is better for Pac-man to retire, concentrate on politics, karaoke etc....

• Like 1

I sadly agree with th OP. That knockout punch laid him unconscious for a worrying ammount of time. One or two more of those could cause him irreparable brain damage and nobody wants to see him as a gibbering wreck or worse.

In response to tailspin, I doubt there is any chance of the Mayweather fight now...

Have to agree with the OP..this guy should retire b4 he gets seriously hurt.

He is a very nice guy, but he has no business being in there with world class fighters. Most of his "big" wins were against slow ageing fighters. Getting knocked out by the powder puff puncher Marquez is a big red flag and for the sake of his family, it is better to retire. He has limited skills, lunges on his overhand left punches(which is how he got countered and knocked silly), no Plan B, and now we see a glass jaw to boot. It is scary to think what Mayweather might do to him, or imagine someone like Ward...There are also many Thai fighers who are better than him. It is better for Pac-man to retire, concentrate on politics, karaoke etc....

Agree with most all you say. I've said many of the same things in the last big Manny thread that appeared here. However, Andre Ward is the WBA, WBC & Ring Magazine Super Middle weight Champion. He shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with Manny Pacquaio. Not only because he fights at 168 but because of his overall skill level.

He was knocked out by a counter puncher, many of whom don't have devastating power, but have great timing; that punch was a perfectly timed shot as he lunged in with a looping left and holding his hands low as Tailspin pointed out; it could have been a little tap and he would have gone down as he walked right onto it. JMM looked bigger and a little slower than we've seen him in the past, but he is a tricky customer, no doubt, and I don't really understand why Pacquaio got so careless in this fight, given that he looked so much better and fitter than Pacman-JMM 3 and he knew he was up against a counter puncher.

Pacman did look like he'd wound back the clock though at times; he was up on the balls of his feet, he had great lateral movement (albeit he kept drifting to the left and coming in way too straight which was how he got clocked both times); he had the measure of JMM and I can't help but think that he had listened too much to the people who were saying he needed a knock out in the middle rounds.... if he'd just continued to outwork JMM as he had all of round 6 and continued to find his range and unload combos, it would have finished I think maybe round 8/9 anyhow.

But coulda shoulda woulda occurs a lot in the fight game.

If he fought so carelessly against Floyd, I think Mayweather would tear him apart, but that's about the only fight I can see worthwhile for him to do, if he were able to win that one (which he looked to have fitness and sharpness for this fight somewhat missing in the Bradley and JMM 3 fights) then perhaps the hunger would be gone and he could walk out a winner.

But I don't know if Floyd Mayweather would agree to it for all the reasons we know and to get there a couple more warm up fights and he's just going to end up like so many of the eras before him (Jones, Leonard, Whittaker, Oscar, Mosley etc) who hung on too long, and are now too often remembered for the fade at the end rather than their total dominance earlier in their careers.

He was knocked out by a counter puncher, many of whom don't have devastating power, but have great timing; that punch was a perfectly timed shot as he lunged in with a looping left and holding his hands low as Tailspin pointed out; it could have been a little tap and he would have gone down as he walked right onto it. JMM looked bigger and a little slower than we've seen him in the past, but he is a tricky customer, no doubt, and I don't really understand why Pacquaio got so careless in this fight, given that he looked so much better and fitter than Pacman-JMM 3 and he knew he was up against a counter puncher.

Pacman did look like he'd wound back the clock though at times; he was up on the balls of his feet, he had great lateral movement (albeit he kept drifting to the left and coming in way too straight which was how he got clocked both times); he had the measure of JMM and I can't help but think that he had listened too much to the people who were saying he needed a knock out in the middle rounds.... if he'd just continued to outwork JMM as he had all of round 6 and continued to find his range and unload combos, it would have finished I think maybe round 8/9 anyhow.

But coulda shoulda woulda occurs a lot in the fight game.

If he fought so carelessly against Floyd, I think Mayweather would tear him apart, but that's about the only fight I can see worthwhile for him to do, if he were able to win that one (which he looked to have fitness and sharpness for this fight somewhat missing in the Bradley and JMM 3 fights) then perhaps the hunger would be gone and he could walk out a winner.

But I don't know if Floyd Mayweather would agree to it for all the reasons we know and to get there a couple more warm up fights and he's just going to end up like so many of the eras before him (Jones, Leonard, Whittaker, Oscar, Mosley etc) who hung on too long, and are now too often remembered for the fade at the end rather than their total dominance earlier in their careers.

Good post but your last paragraph is unclear, at least to me. Which fighter are you talking about.

Won't they both end up like so many of the good fighters from eras before them? The majority of good fighters stick around too long. Very few have quit while they were still winning or undefeated. Also, none of the boxers you mentioned were undefeated at this point in their careers.

• 3 weeks later...