Scope Of Music Available At Itunes Store Thailand?

Rasseru

Does anyone know how the music available at the iTunes Store in Thailand compares in scope with that available in the iTunes stores in Japan, for example, or the U.S. or Europe? I assume availability will not be exactly the same as anywhere else, just as it not as among the stores in the other places I mention. But I would like to know how close it is, preferably by genre, like classical, jazz, electronic, alternative and so on. Popular music in the West is probably not such an issue, since I would imagine it will generally be available here too.

For anyone curious who happens along here, I will report that I was told by a seemingly quite knowledgable staff member at the local Apple store in Chiangmai that the iTunes Store in Thailand is not remotely close in content to those in Japan, the US or Europe.

Sadly it really does lack in content and some of what it lacks it really should not. That is why jailbreaking is recommended. You can get content that is not legally available in the store and it is not your fault Apple did not put it there.

Usually what you see in shops like B2S, Boomerang is on the Thai iTunes store also but anything else and it is most likely not there. For example I wanted a game for iPad called 'Dragon Flight'. It was not in the Thai store so my iPad, being jailbroken, meant I pirated it. I would have bought it if I could but I couldn't.

What is available in the store has nothing to do with Apple. The app developer, or media rights holder makes the decision on which country stores to make their app available. Very often, in the case of apps, it revolves around support issues. The developer simply can't support multiple languages.

Also, make no mistake, if you pirate apps, you're a thief. Entitled arguments like "oh it wasn't available" are total BS. Sorry, you're not entitled to every app. The sense of entitlement is laughable. Just own up to it, you're just a thief.

There is no justification. You might as well be going into a store and shoplifting. Don't misunderstand ether, I'm by no means a saint. I've downloaded TV show and movie torrents....but I have no misconceptions...I'm stealing. Period.

• Like 1

Sadly it really does lack in content and some of what it lacks it really should not. That is why jailbreaking is recommended. You can get content that is not legally available in the store and it is not your fault Apple did not put it there.

Usually what you see in shops like B2S, Boomerang is on the Thai iTunes store also but anything else and it is most likely not there. For example I wanted a game for iPad called 'Dragon Flight'. It was not in the Thai store so my iPad, being jailbroken, meant I pirated it. I would have bought it if I could but I couldn't.

You don't need to jailbreak anything to listen to music or watch video. But you do need to jailbreak to steal apps...

My question was about music, not apps.

You can buy or get music anywhere, in MP3 or AAC format, and just plunk it into your device without a problem. You don't need to buy music specifically for your ios device.

Edited by tominbkk

My question was about music, not apps.

You can buy or get music anywhere, in MP3 or AAC format, and just plunk it into your device without a problem. You don't need to buy music specifically for your ios device.

Yes, thank you, I know, but that too is a different point from the one I was asking. :)

• 2 months later...

For the benefit of anyone who happens to stumble upon this thread later, in terms of music -- which is all I was and am interested in -- my impression is that the range of content in the Thai iTunes Store is the same or nearly so as that in the U.S. or Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to jailbreak anything to listen to music or watch video. But you do need to jailbreak to steal apps...

Apologies, I misread this. For video I had an AVI file I wanted to watch on my iPad, converting it through iTunes would take time so, because my iPad was jailbroken I used an application I installed on the iPad to make the iPad 'see' the AVI file so I could play it. That could be classed as a legitimate reason for jailbreaking a device instead of just pirating things for free.

DaveBKK - Completely right, piracy is stealing, I admit to doing it occasionally, if the App store had free trials or time limited demos then maybe the number of pirates would decrease? But now, with most major apps (especially games) being freemium, whether you download it from the App store or pirate it, you still have to pay real money to progress through the game and get the better things. Whilst I do not condone piracy sometimes it is easier to do in certain circumstances (such as licensing restrictions and such). Piracy can also be beneficial, Microsoft have said they would rather people pirate their software than their competitors and then they (Microsoft) can work on persuading those who pirated it to purchase a legal version.

To answer the original question, in terms of music, there are some albums I could not find on the Thai store and so I would get directed to the US or UK store instead.

Edited by ianwuk

Apologies, I misread this. For video I had an AVI file I wanted to watch on my iPad, converting it through iTunes would take time so, because my iPad was jailbroken I used an application I installed on the iPad to make the iPad 'see' the AVI file so I could play it. That could be classed as a legitimate reason for jailbreaking a device instead of just pirating things for free.

DaveBKK - Completely right, piracy is stealing, I admit to doing it occasionally, if the App store had free trials or time limited demos then maybe the number of pirates would decrease? But now, with most major apps (especially games) being freemium, whether you download it from the App store or pirate it, you still have to pay real money to progress through the game and get the better things. Whilst I do not condone piracy sometimes it is easier to do in certain circumstances (such as licensing restrictions and such). Piracy can also be beneficial, Microsoft have said they would rather people pirate their software than their competitors and then they (Microsoft) can work on persuading those who pirated it to purchase a legal version.

To answer the original question, in terms of music, there are some albums I could not find on the Thai store and so I would get directed to the US or UK store instead.

Try the Flex Player App that's free. It plays .avi files without conversion.