Touring Cruiser Investment?

jkinbkk

I am looking to invest in a Touring Cruiser and I though I may get some constructive advise from you guys to aid in the decision?

Brand is not the main consideration, although I have my eye on the usual suspects.

I intend to keep this bike indefinitely and it will primarily be used for weekends away in the hilly locations, with the odd trip South to the coast as the bike will be based in Maha Sarakham

The bike needs to be no more than 5-7 years old (for model consideration) However, if an old model has proven itself to be more superior then recent models I am open to that consideration?

Really the main criteria will be (i) long distance comfort for myself and the pillion (most essential), (ii) reliability (iii) fun too ride (iv) storage space capability (v) cost of ownership and service parts availabilty

I estimate that annually i will be clocking up about 10,000km

I appreciate that like most things experience and choices on this subject are a personal matter, but it would be interesting to see if a general consensus develops?

PLEASE NOTE: Would appreciate that you don't leap at this opportunity to try and flog me your bike! I am purely interested at this stage in making comparisons. I trust that's clear?

If you don't want to pay silly import duties on it, there is not much choice in Thailand. Two Thai made bikes come to mind, although they aren't cruisers. I mention them because I know a couple cruiser guys that got these bikes for Thailand because they make so much sense.

As a naked sport tourer the Kawasaki ER6n and may be sportier than you want, but IMO it and it's faired brother (Ninja 650/ER6f) are still the best deals going in mid-range big bikes in Thailand. They are assembled here so virtually no import duty. It's fairly upright and comfortable if you keep the stock bars, and meets the parts availablilty and service requirements. You can get saddle bags for it for storage. The bike probably scores the worst in pillion comfort, particularly if you get the 2012-2013 which has a split seat. A 2009-2011 has a wider, more comfortable pillion seat. At about 75HP the bike has pleanty of power,Definitely more fun to ride than any cruiser. The ABS is a must have in Thailand. You can currently pick up used ER6's for around 165k. 260k for a new one. Personally I find the Ninja 650 a perfect bike for Thailand, a very reasonable compromise for sport bike people.

Similarly the Kawasaki Versys may meet your requirements. It's based on the same platform as the ER6 but more of an adventure bike. It's be more comfortable than the ER6n. They have not been available in Thailand for as long as the ER6n so getting a used one will cost more. New they are 285k,

2009-2011 ER6n

kawasaki_er6n_2009_3.jpg

20012-13 ER6n

0Tkf8.JPG

161.jpg

2012 Versys

1272b.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe

Thanks NomadJoe, interesting consideration which I had not given any thought. Worthwhile financially sound suggestion.

One additional consideration which I did not mention in my initial post is that I am 197cm/6'4" tall. This I feel may have some comfort disadvantage if looking at the local options you have suggested. Would that be true?

Plus pillion comfort is a real high priority here. so newer model options maybe worth checking out

Thanks again

Thanks NomadJoe, interesting consideration which I had not given any thought. Worthwhile financially sound suggestion.

One additional consideration which I did not mention in my initial post is that I am 197cm/6'4" tall. This I feel may have some comfort disadvantage if looking at the local options you have suggested. Would that be true?

Plus pillion comfort is a real high priority here. so newer model options maybe worth checking out

Thanks again

At 6'4" I think you should be OK. The bike isn't designed for the Asian market, but for the American one. I am 6' and I fit comfortably and would say I feel like I have a bit of room left over.

For slightly improved pillion comfort, you'll want the older 2nd gen 2009-2011 ER6n model. If your rider is by chance, an averaged size Thai girl, any model will probably do fine for her. Mine never complained.

The Versys seat hasn't changed since it has been available. It is a taller bike and might be better for you. No way to tell untill you swing a leg over one. There are several Kawasaki dealers throughout Thailand. http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=th&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kawasaki.co.th%2Fen%2Fhome.asp

Edited by NomadJoe

I too would say Versys although I hardly think buying a bike would be termed an investment. Usually that is when one buys something with a view to it gaining value, rather than losing value.

It has also been said that riding-wise a basic Harley is the perfect bike for Thailand. I do not know if a Harley can be maintained by a dealer in Maha Sarakham. Although the cost of ownership would be more than a Kawasaki.

There are a lot of lovely motorcycles out there. In the States, I rode a BMW. However, after coming here, I simply could not justify spending 2.5 times what the same cycle cost in the States. So I bought a Kwacker ER6n and dressed it up for touring. I imported all the add-ons from the States (Internet purchases) rather than paying double the price for the same stuff here (had friends ship by post in plain boxes -- not one baht in duty!).

I spent on accessories what I had in the original purchase of the bike, but now have a fully equipped touring ride I really enjoy (list attached). It is still no BMW but adding the Power Commander V with AutoTune and the LCD200 and the rear Ohlins helped a lot. Oh, and do not forget to customize the seat. I took mine to a seat shop in Chiangmai that does beautiful work, but I did all the sculpting and shaping and addition of a gel pad myself. There are a lot of artistic Thais that can make it beautiful, but I have yet to see one that knew anything about the science of seat dynamics that produces comfort. My seat is now very comfortable on long rides (thanks to MY work on it), whereas the stock seat was good for about 150-200 kilometers. No matter what bike you purchase, you will have to modify the seat if you want premium comfort. I have never seen a stock seat that did not produce a sore ass after 600 km straight. I'm not sayin' there's not one out there, just sayin'. I'm riding around 14,000 km/year.

Because I carry a heavy top box for which the ER6n frame was not designed, I had it reinforced with steel gussets, and I am now quite confident with the extra load. That said, the OP is 6'4" and the Versys does stand taller than the ER.

My two cents.

post-74366-0-21938100-1355096849_thumb.jpost-74366-0-76315300-1355097017_thumb.jpost-74366-0-87293400-1355096765_thumb.jAccessories for ER6n W-Links.pdf

Edited by TongueThaied

Tongue Thaied, your 'two cents' was a real eye opener!

Much obliged for that comprehensive information.

You really loaded that critter up!

I am a novice at biking so I wont be getting as ambitious as you. Nevertheless your input as added a new dynamic to my summing up process. Many thanks

Thaicbr, thanks for your suggestion too. My budget is open as I intend this to be a one time purchase. But obviously I will make a smart choice that ticks all the boxes and I wont be swayed by brand image or a need to keep up with the neighbours.

Practicality vs cost is the order of the day.

Keep the suggestions coming, all your comments have been most valuable

I'm still in the Versys camp, however you don't say how long this one time purchase is supposed to last? 20 years, 10 years? Do you wish to ride alone or with friends? Which friends? Kawasaki friends or BMW friends? Not that it really matters but...where you stop for lunch maybe different!

If it is a longtime then you need something timeless or at least with a history of timelessness say a used BMW Boxer. David of GT-Rider is still ridding his Honda Africa Twin but that maybe considered more an adventure bike than a touring bike. If considering longevity then spares has to come into the equation. If it is all two-up then the extra, effortless, more relaxed grunt of the BMW would be a factor.

Another way or thinking if you do decide Versys would be to get a new Versys and replace it after a number (5-7) years. So after 10 years it still looks as if it was a one time purchase but in fact it is the latest model. This would cost about the same as a one time used BMW Boxer purchase.

If you decide BMW then BK Motors is better than Barcelona!

My heart is with Vocalneal. I really wanted a Versys, but when I bought the ER, they were not selling the Versys here, and there was no indication they would. So I bought an ER and loaded it up. I was chagrined to see the Versys sold the very next year! But I had too much in the ER by then to change it. I enjoy the ER, parts are available all over. Sometimes its good to say good enough, though it is hard with bikes. I loved the Beemer Boxer I had in the states. It handled like a dream. I bought a Rich's Custom Seat in Seattle (custom fit in his shop to your posterior) and after than a Laz-e-Boy had nothing on it. I put almost 80,000 miles on it in the 2 1/2 years before I came over here.

The boxes on my ER are very handy for a lot more than touring. Hard cases, unlike saddlebags, are secure (and waterproof). I am comfortable stripping off the GPS, etc. and throwing them in the box when I park somewhere. I use it to haul groceries and whatever. Even though I have a truck, the ER in my primary transportation and I rarely drive the truck unless I have to haul something big.

If you ever had somebody snatch $1,000 worth of gear in a bungeed on dry bag when you left your bike unattended for about 6.5 minutes, like I did up in Edmonton, Canada, you'll appreciate the security of hard cases all around.

With the low depreciation rates of bikes here, if you can buy new it would give you the best deal. I have a Versys and you don't need to do squat to it , except change the tyres if your fussy.

It would sell easily and for a good price, (undropped) after a few years, so the cost per year of ownership would be minimal.

Only thing is...how experienced are you with relatively large motorcycles? Don't just jump on one and hope for the best if you have no experience.Perhaps go and rent and tour a bit, Chang Mai would give you a taste of a variety of machines and

some great riding so you can figure out what fits you best.

Happy trails

Looks so far like the Versys is leading the popularity stakes and its easy to see why.

I am grateful again for all your comments and pleased thats seasoned tour bikers (as you all clearly are) have responded. I was doubting initially that my post would attract creditable feedback from creditable members?

Fortunately it has :-)

Yes I am a novice at touring, but i think it would be worth spending initially on a Versys to see if touring is for me or not? I can then in a few years decided which of the more expensive classic style imported cruiser would best suit the my long term needs/desires?

Prestbuypark idea to rent a few models also makes sense, so i will be looking into that for sure.

I had just returned from a 2,000 km roundtrip from Bangkok all the way up to Lampang via Petchabun and back down via Uttaradit and Kamphaeng Phet on a loaded up Versys. We were riding 2 up, with tank case, top box and side panniers. The bike performed excellently (if there's such a word). It deals with smooth asphalt as well as pot holed roads as well as anything on wheels. With a total combined weight of about 150 kgs on board, I was cruising comfortably at 120-130 kmh (could have gone faster but was always taking into consideration that I was riding fully loaded up). I definitely vouch for the Versys (wish they sold the 1,000 cc model here - I would trade mine in in a flash).

Important accessories:

- tank case

- top box

- side panniers

- GPS

- automatic chain oiler (I use Tutoro)

- crash guards

- hand guards

- big feet (for the stand)

- rear hugger

- dual headsets for communicating with pillion

Change the OEM tyres asap. I am using Pirelli Angels and it has saved me from sliding out on more than one occasion. My next change would be a taller windscreen to help with wind noise.

I'm also a novice rider but I can tell you that the Versys is extremely easy to ride. It's got a nice high riding position that is really comfortable and at the same time, you can lean forward onto your fuel tank to be more aerodynamic. Only downside are the stares you get from others, particularly when stopped at traffic lights and also at PTT's.

Might be worth considering the forthcoming Honda CRX 500 due out in January. Similar to a Versys in concept. The advantage of the Honda will be price (209,000), which is better than some second hand kwakas - and a Honda dealer in every town, so easy if you need repairs/parts. Also reportedly very light on fuel - 27km per litre. The Versys has advantages - it is a larger and heavier bike, so may suit 6'4" better. It has more power (although not so much an issue for touring - I have done long tours two up on a 250 with luggage. Still cruise at 120kph). And there are many accessories (racks, bags etc) for touring for the Versys. They won't be around for the Honda for months yet. And as one earlier poster has said, a comfortable seat is the main factor. The Versys seat is probably the best standard seat. My suggestion would be to hire potential choices for a few days and clock up as many miles as you can in different conditions - highway, back roads, mountains. Nothing worse than buying a bike that is good on paper but just doesn't "feel" right in everyday use. My old KLR650 seemed a great choice for touring, but I found it useless on highways over 110kph, which accounted for 75% of my riding.

I had just returned from a 2,000 km roundtrip from Bangkok all the way up to Lampang via Petchabun and back down via Uttaradit and Kamphaeng Phet on a loaded up Versys. We were riding 2 up, with tank case, top box and side panniers. The bike performed excellently (if there's such a word). It deals with smooth asphalt as well as pot holed roads as well as anything on wheels. With a total combined weight of about 150 kgs on board, I was cruising comfortably at 120-130 kmh (could have gone faster but was always taking into consideration that I was riding fully loaded up). I definitely vouch for the Versys (wish they sold the 1,000 cc model here - I would trade mine in in a flash).

Important accessories:

- tank case

- top box

- side panniers

- GPS

- automatic chain oiler (I use Tutoro)

- crash guards

- hand guards

- big feet (for the stand)

- rear hugger

- dual headsets for communicating with pillion

Change the OEM tyres asap. I am using Pirelli Angels and it has saved me from sliding out on more than one occasion. My next change would be a taller windscreen to help with wind noise.

I'm also a novice rider but I can tell you that the Versys is extremely easy to ride. It's got a nice high riding position that is really comfortable and at the same time, you can lean forward onto your fuel tank to be more aerodynamic. Only downside are the stares you get from others, particularly when stopped at traffic lights and also at PTT's.

More great personal experience feedback thanks Gweiloman.

Do you have pics of the bike? The 'important accessories' list, did you source in Thailand?'

It looks increasing like I will ( after a rental run) be going for the Versys

Thanks also to CBR250, but yes I think due to my size the Versys might be more suited.

If you ever had somebody snatch $1,000 worth of gear in a bungeed on dry bag when you left your bike unattended for about 6.5 minutes, like I did up in Edmonton, Canada, you'll appreciate the security of hard cases all around.

I wonder if the BMW style aluminum boxes will fit of a Versys?

TT you are doing better than me. I was once considering a 480,000 grey market Versys back when when they first came out but didn't... I still don't have one :-(

I wonder if the BMW style aluminum boxes will fit of a Versys?

TT you are doing better than me. I was once considering a 480,000 grey market Versys back when when they first came out but didn't... I still don't have one :-(

Yes, many options, I have black TraX ALU-BOX top and side cases on my ER6n. SW Motech makes the mounting hardware for both the ER and the Versys. They cost just about twice in Thailand what they cost in the States. I ordered on the Internet for delivery to a friend and he shipped them to me. Saved a bundle.

I much prefer the "BMW style" aluminum boxes. On my BMW in the States I had the BMW branded plastic cases. The curves took away too much space. I was always envious of the guys that had the big aluminum boxes. Now that I have them, its the way to go. They are tough, too. Last time I went down to BKK, I was approaching on a 6 lane from the north and some old woman pulled out perpendicular from the right coming straight across all the lanes, headed right in front of me, driving super slow. I ht the binders and swerved as far as I could to the right, but there was a concrete dividing wall in the center. I could not quite fit between her and the wall as she came into my path. My left rear side case smacked into the side of her new truck as she angled into my lane (the far right lane) and raked it good. I do not know what it did to her truck as I just continued on. Might have ripped it open given the thin metal wrappers they put on vehicles these days. My box did not even sustain a scratch.

Of course, the downside after entering BKK is that it is more difficult to lane split with the extra width. I probably should have left them home.

You can also lay the bike down on the side case, prop up the frame and change the front tire. Don't laugh. It's a hell of a lot easier that using one of those front stands.

I also have a chain oiler, Scottoiler, electronic. Love it. Sure is nice not to have to stop for the 500K lube job all the time.

One of the advantages to a Versys is the HUGE plethora of optional equipment that is made for it. You can get pretty much anything you can imagine -- well, in the US anyway. I do not buy add-ons here -- just too damned expensive. I even source my chains, sprockets and spark plugs in the US.

Edited by TongueThaied

I vouch for the Kawasaki 900 Vulcan and have rode from the top of Thailand (Chiang Mai) all the way down to Trang also Chiang Mai to Udon and many shorter trips and the Bike performed beautifully great ride no issues whatsover and will go all day at 120.

I know the Versy is well respected and is a nice choice I just prefer the look of the Vulcan and I have not been disappointed .

DK

I vouch for the Kawasaki 900 Vulcan and have rode from the top of Thailand (Chiang Mai) all the way down to Trang also Chiang Mai to Udon and many shorter trips and the Bike performed beautifully great ride no issues whatsover and will go all day at 120.

I know the Versy is well respected and is a nice choice I just prefer the look of the Vulcan and I have not been disappointed .

DK

Yeah, but how does it handle in the twisties? Does the thought of the fun you'll have doing a windy mountain road at top speed make your heart beat faster. Ever get off that cruiser high on adrenaline, sh*t-eating grin on your face - and it wasn't because you almost crashed and died?

The Versys - or ER6n - is much more fun.

And don't get me started on them Harley Hogs. There's a reason they call them hogs.

Edited by qdinthailand

I think the Vulcan won't disappoint you, especially as it is a touring cruiser you want specifically. The new 2013 paint schemes on the Custom model are very nice. The only thing I don't like about cruisers is the feet forward position (I prefer mid controls on a non sport bike); I rode my friends Kawasaki Boss from Bangkok to Pai for him and the seating arrangement almost crippled me. People like the Versys but it is definitely function over form and I reckon you want something that looks good as well as rides well, so the Vulcan should tick all the boxes for you.

I think the Vulcan won't disappoint you, especially as it is a touring cruiser you want specifically. The new 2013 paint schemes on the Custom model are very nice. The only thing I don't like about cruisers is the feet forward position (I prefer mid controls on a non sport bike); I rode my friends Kawasaki Boss from Bangkok to Pai for him and the seating arrangement almost crippled me. People like the Versys but it is definitely function over form and I reckon you want something that looks good as well as rides well, so the Vulcan should tick all the boxes for you.

Don't forget that the Vulcan is significantly more expensive than the Versys. Though I haven't ridden all that many kms in Thailand, I've ridden enough to know that perfect roads can very quickly deteriorate into unpaved and potholed roads. For this reason, I think that a dual sport is more suited for Thai roads.

Don't forget that the Vulcan is significantly more expensive than the Versys. Though I haven't ridden all that many kms in Thailand, I've ridden enough to know that perfect roads can very quickly deteriorate into unpaved and potholed roads. For this reason, I think that a dual sport is more suited for Thai roads.

The guy wants a cruiser and I think the Vulcan, although expensive is much better value than say a Harley which is very overpriced here. Also a lot of people are wiling to forgo a bit of practicality for something more pleasing to the eye. I bought an ER6N in preference to the Versys purely because I don't like the look of the Versys even though it handles the potholes better. For a cruiser there is still a lot of empty blacktop in good condition with the only criteria being what bike will come off best in a scrap with a water monitor lizard :)

DK

Yeah, but how does it handle in the twisties? Does the thought of the fun you'll have doing a windy mountain road at top speed make your heart beat faster. Ever get off that cruiser high on adrenaline, sh*t-eating grin on your face - and it wasn't because you almost crashed and died?

The Versys - or ER6n - is much more fun.

And don't get me started on them Harley Hogs. There's a reason they call them hogs.

Matter of opinion dude :)

Rode to Pai many many times and it handles the twisties JUST FINE and I always get off with a smile on my face :)

DK