Flying From Chiang Mai To Guilin China?

sante

I'll be traveling from Chiang Mai to Guilin China early next year and am researching flights now. So far I found Dragonair, China Eastern & China Southern with flights to Guilin although only Dragonair departs from Chiang Mai I think. Many of the flights, all with 1 or more stops, include an overnight layover either in Kunming or Hong Kong.

I'd appreciate any tips or recommendations from anyone who has traveled from Thailand to Guilin.

Thanks

I'd make my way down to Bangkok where there are more options available, using Kayak the results are very poor indeed from CNX.

To save money on the overnight hotel call the airline reservations department directly and ask if they provide "transit accommodation" and if your fare qualify's. I believe China Eastern flies twice weekly from CNX ?

China Eastern on UK site only so may apply to UK issued tickets only

http://www.chinaeastern.co.uk/ThroughFlight%20Info-EN.html

China Southern Commitment Nine D-I (Domestic to International)/I-D (International to Domestic)

http://mercury.csair.com/en/travel_guide/airport_service/airports_info/turn/index1.html

Sorry can't be more help, you've chosen a beautiful city to visit but boy the trip itself seems difficult.

• Like 1

My wife and I spent a month touring China this year.

My suggestion:-

Check out prices / suitability Chiang Mai to Kunming

Chiang Mai to Macau

Both are direct flights

The ferry Macau to HK was about GBP10

The travel by bus or train to Guilin...worth taking a trip down the River Li...very beautiful

Thanks for the replies. I'll be staying in Yangshuo near Guilin for several months so am looking for the easiest route there. I'll be lugging several heavy duffel bags so hope I can check them in Chiang Mai and then won't have to deal with them again until arrival in Guilin.

I'm arranging my departure just a few days before my next scheduled 90 day report so want to minimize the possibility of canceled flights. Would like to hear any experiences with Dragonair, China Southern & China Eastern. Also, how to survive long overnight layovers in Kunming and Hong Kong.

And yes, I've heard the area is beautiful. Once I'm settled I'll definitely explore with trains, bus, and river trips

If you book very early in advance, you could even try going via KL, as AirAsia (the Malaysian AA) flies CNX - KUL and KUL - KWL.

Could be the cheapest option if booked very early in advance,even though I know there are rarely promotions on the KUL - KWL leg.